Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

no luck with trailer lights

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no luck with trailer lights
    Posted: September-11-2006 at 4:17pm
I've replaced my "bell jar" trailer lights twice now this season due to water issues. Thinking perhaps I should go with the sealed LED lights, but I'd appreciate any advice on replacing my brake lights before I go through this all over again. Thanks!
87Dominique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87Dominique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 4:40pm
You could replace them with non LED lights and save alot of money. Just unplug them when launching the boat and make sure they have drained before plugging them back in.
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 5:01pm
I'm careful to unplug them everytime, but I see a steady stream of bubbles coming from the gaskets - I'm a$$uming the cold water is causing the bulbs to break? Also, the side marker lights fill-up, and then don't drain. I haven't seen sealed non-LED lights...?
87Dominique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87Dominique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 5:30pm
I just bought cheap "submersible" lights from pep boys for $20. They aren't sealed at all but the bottom is mostly open to allow for draining. You said your lights popped from the cold water so these probably won't work for you. I don't have to trailor the boat very far so the lights don't really heat up. You should really get sealed LED's because they don't get hot and won't pop when they hit the water.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 8:46pm
    Sealed LED lights are the way to go. I put some on the 74 trailer and no worries about bulbs popping or rusting in the sockets. I got them at CarQuest for about 50 bucks each. I also bought the light strip with LEDs. The good led lights are completely sealed to the PC board including the wiring. A good thing to remember also is to seal the connections to the lights with some heatshrink butt splices or something similar to keep the water and corrosion from migrating up the wire and defeating the purpose.

Jeff...
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 9:57am
I considered using LED's until I talked with my lighting friends and they persuaded me not to use them. LED's are hotter than regular bulbs, when one goes out they all go out, you have to replace the whole light instead of the bulb and not every places sells LED's so it's hard to find a replacement on the road quickly. Get a good set of conventional bulb style trailer lights over the LED's because you can always go to any gas station, grocery store or auto parts store and get new bulbs which you cann't with LED's. Just unplug the harness first and give them a chance to cool down before you dunk them into the water.
KPNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 10:04am
LED lights are great in my opinion. I've been using them in many applications. They are not as hot and last many times longer than conventional bulbs. Here is a good place to buy them at reasonable price. Just my .02

www.superbightleds.com
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 10:26am
Originally posted by KPNautique KPNautique wrote:

They are not as hot and last many times longer than conventional bulbs.

If you are comparing a single LED to a bulb yes, but it takes multiple LED's to make the same candle power of a single bulb and when you look at the complete package or total LED's used to the one bulb they are much hotter than a single bulb or in other words the LED lamp will be twice as hot as a Bulbed lamp.

So how is that website going to help you out when the LED burns out and you have to replace the whole light when you have to travel that night to get home and there isn't a store around to get a new lamp to replace the LED lamp that just burned out and you have 1000 miles to travel? Guess you do it without trailer lights and cross your fingers that you don't get a ticket.
KPNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 10:48am
79Nautique

First of all I was merely posting my opinion. You are correct that a LED fixture like the "PT series" at superbright leds is composed of many LEDs (56 to be exact). I have those on my trailer and the fixture stays cooler than the original bulbed fixture. It also uses less power than a bulbed fixture. The chances of all 56 leds burning out on a trip is far less likely than one bulb burning out in a bulbed fixture. If it was a concern - I would buy a spare? If you were on the road and needed a replacement, any truck stop accross the US has these lights and they just plug in. No finger crossing needed. A lot of trucks are switching to LED fixtures because they last longer and are more reliable.

I suggest the website because you can buy the LED fixture for $20 instead of $50 at a store.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 11:21am
Facts:
Quality LED's are solid state and typically last 100000 hours and are unaffected by physical shock, thermal shock, electrical cycling, etc.

LED's for a given amount of light produce less heat than any other available lighting technology. Including t12 florescent bulbs utilizing remote solid state ballasts which are light years cooler than filiment bulbs...

I have been stuck before in the middle of the night at a boat ramp with two broken conventional bulbs and let me tell ya in Kingston, ON Canada after 11 not even the Walmarts are open and the mounties are not big fans of yanks who are driving unlit trailers sleeping in the truck at the ramp was not a good time.

Before LED's since I usually have about six trailers at least one bulb was out all the time and no matter how careful I was about plugging unplugging sealing etc I was replacing at least one set of housings a season from cracks corrosion etc.

The rest is my opinion

After that I went LED on one trailer and won't ever go back.. I have bought them all around.

That was five seasons ago, they don't fail, not in the life span a trailer light is used. particularily not in the life span most of my trailer lights are used (12 miles a season). I no longer give lights a second thought, they just work and they are fast and bright which helps significantly when backing up at night.

It was worth it to me to spend less time working on the trailers and more time working on the boats...

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 1:04pm
Get some bulb grease.
Tim D
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 8:58pm
     Joe is 100% correct. They dont run as hot, thus drawing less current and eliminating the "electric heater" effect. Thats how you can get more light for much less power.
     As far as failure, and all going out, isnt a issue as they are not all wired in series. The good ones use blocks of LEDS in series with a resistor to allow 12v operation. These are then connected in parallel where if one does fail, you loose just a segment of the light, which isnt a big deal until replacement.
    One less step for me to remember unplugging/plugging in lights.
     The one disadvantage of LED lights is in the north country...They dont melt off ice or snow like conventional bulbs. A real controversey here in D.O.T. lighting requirements. Boat trailers are not a issue unless you have a ICE NAUTIQUE!!!

Jeff....
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 12:24am
Like most of you, I've spent hours and hours working on trailer lights. If a guy like Joe comes along and says he's been using them for 5 years maintenance free. That's all I need to hear.

There have been obvious technology improvements in the past five years with these things--notably, the blocking system which Jeff refered to that keeps the whole light from going out. And yes, about every truck stop and auto parts store does carry them now. If your local convenience store doesn't carry them yet, they will soon.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic