NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Any welding supply store will carry welding cable in bulk. Just tell them what size you want. Should have the ends also. Much more flexible than other wires too.

John,
Be careful with welding cable. Here's a quote from Battery Cable USA

"BENEFITS OVER WELDING CABLE:
Full AWG Size Copper Conductor
TPE Jacket is Oil Resistant where EPDM on many welding cables is a poor insulator against oil
SAE Rated for Automotive and Marine Uses"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Any welding supply store will carry welding cable in bulk. Just tell them what size you want. Should have the ends also. Much more flexible than other wires too.

John,

"BENEFITS OVER WELDING CABLE:
Full AWG Size Copper Conductor
TPE Jacket is Oil Resistant where EPDM on many welding cables is a poor insulator against oil
SAE Rated for Automotive and Marine Uses"

Maybe , Pete you should quote something unbiased from a place that makes both types of cable.

Like what's in the link below

link    
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 7:52pm
I've used these guy's before with good results- link
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 8:43pm
John,
Sorry I was rushed and should have been more specific. The key point I was trying to make is the oil resistance. Bilges can get pretty oily and I have seen cables with insulation compromised to the point where the copper is showing. Now, if you want to go all the way to the very best, go with marine rated where all the copper strands are tin plated.

John,
"TPE Jacket is Oil Resistant where EPDM on many welding cables is a poor insulator against oil"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 8:45pm
I've heard the "don't use welding cable" argument off and on, but I know a bunch of people that have used it with no problem, saving some money. I have used battery cable in a few trucks, my runs didn't have any difficult bends in them and just seemed like the thing to do. If I had to snake it through some tight areas in a boat I'd likely go with welding cable, if easy runs I'd use battery. Personal preference, if you use the heavier gauge you'll be all set with either.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 9:17pm
In the 1960's when Correct Craft was short of money, they twisted 3 coathangers together to use for battery cable, and then used crimp connectors until they had enough length, and dipped it in paint for insulation.

The above is absolutely not true, but the way this thread is going I kind of expect a story like this at some point!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Any Heavy Duty Truck shop keeps bulk heavy battery cable in stock and can cut to length for you.   By Heavy Duty I mean, Kenworth, Peterbilt or Freightliner not GM Ford or Dodge.
They sell the connectors that bolt to this size cable also.

These shops around here don't carry much, I found some where Pete said check
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 9:43pm
If only somebody made some bi-sexual cable that was advertised and sold for use as starter cable and battery cable, what a wonderful world it would be

Kinda like this stuff in the link

link

I figure somebody here will have issues with it.being dual purpose and not the best in his mind.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

If only somebody made some bi-sexual cable that was advertised and sold for use as starter cable and battery cable, what a wonderful world it would be

Kinda like this stuff in the link

link

I figure somebody here will have issues with it.being dual purpose and not the best in his mind.

This is where I'm getting it.
Thanks
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 10:04pm
A Small Update on 79:
Waiting on some parts on the 83 ,so decided to try and repair those Spider cracks on one side

After dremling out cracks and filling, then painted with Epoxy paint

Looks pretty good for my 1st attempt
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 7:51pm
Had to remove paint. The color was off so decided to call Tech support and was told paint would not last, plus used wrong primer so starting over

My fault should have checked first...
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 8:03pm
What is the reason paint would not last?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 8:10pm
I tried a Epoxy Enamel but it didn't have any UV stuff and not made for temps over 200 and NO WATER
Not a big deal as I only did the one side and because I used wrong primer it came right off with a razor blade, Just wasted $$$$
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2020 at 12:17pm
Gonna try Top Side paint made for boats. I was told by another friend he used this stuff on his boat and looks great. He even put it on with a paint roller , I swa a picture and I couldn't tell.
Will post pics as I'm still fixing the 100's of cracks

Now this is a pain still have to drill some more on some as you still see the crack
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2020 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

Gonna try Top Side paint made for boats. I was told by another friend he used this stuff on his boat and looks great. He even put it on with a paint roller

Yes John, I'm sure it looks "great".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2020 at 2:26pm

Gonna try Top Side paint made for boats. I was told by another friend he used this stuff on his boat and looks great. He even put it on with a paint roller

Yes John, I'm sure it looks "great".

I'm spraying mine on, FYI
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2020 at 2:43pm
John,
Many have had good results with rolling and tipping. It's not the same as spraying but with two people (one rolling and the other tipping) it can look very close. For topside paint, I highly recommend Pettit Easypoxy.

Did your friend tip?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2020 at 4:25pm

John,
Many have had good results with rolling and tipping. It's not the same as spraying but with two people (one rolling and the other tipping) it can look very close. For topside paint, I highly recommend Pettit Easypoxy.

Already purchased Top Side
Thanks

Did your friend tip?
Don't know what that means...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2020 at 4:58pm

John,

Already purchased Top Side
Thanks

Did your friend tip?
Don't know what that means...

John,
Then before you do any painting, I suggest watching this video

What did you get for topside paint?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 12:00am
After watching video might just try the roller /tipping as the only big area will be the nose.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 7:13am

After watching video might just try the roller /tipping as the only big area will be the nose.

John,
I'm curious

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 10:53am

John,
I'm curious

That's the name TopSide by Rustoleum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 11:15am

John,
You're shopping too much at the home centers rather than a marine supply. "topside" is a marine term used for paints above the waterline. Rustoleum copied it! Here's the topside catagory at Jamestown

What does Rustoleum say for priming?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 12:31pm

John,
You're shopping too much at the home centers rather than a marine supply. "topside" is a marine term used for paints above the waterline. Rustoleum copied it! Here's the topside catagory at Jamestown

What does Rustoleum say for priming?

Pete I didn't find at a center I found it at the Rustoleum site. I've been using these paints for years and never had a problem .
Now this will be the first time I've done a boat; so I will post the results and see how it holds up.

As for as priming they say it would be better to prime so I'll be using their primer also. If weather holds up should be ready by end of week if I can ever fix all these cracks.

Thanks for the info
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2020 at 7:26pm
Quick question if anyone knows. When putting on primer do I also use the tipping method??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2020 at 8:51pm
John,
Is the primer a sanding primer? If so, it can be sanded lightly If the primer isn't, then tipping won't hurt. You will end up with a smoother surface. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2020 at 9:54pm

John,
Is the primer a sanding primer? If so, it can be sanded lightly If the primer isn't, then tipping won't hurt. You will end up with a smoother surface. .

I asked Rustoleum Tech if primer needed to be sanded and they said not necessary, so I will tip..
Thanks
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2020 at 12:04am
That primer must have alot of extra stuff in it as 1 qt of it is over a 1 lb heavier than the paint
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2020 at 9:31pm
Here are some pics
Repairs

Primer

Ist Coat Paint-Rolled

Not as glossy as I thought so will wait few days sand and then spray
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 11:52am
John,
Hopefully spraying will improve the gloss but, I have a strong feeling it will not. I too have used Rustoleum for years and years and so long, I can still remember when you could smell the fish/whale oil. They make a good product but for marine it would be way down at the bottom of my list. If you're not happy, I suggest going to the Pettit Ezpoxy mentioned.

I sure hope you have removed all that blue painters tape before the paint fully cured. If not, you may have a problem. 3M fine line tape is the only way to go.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
  Share Topic