Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

strut berings

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
87Dominique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87Dominique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: strut berings
    Posted: September-11-2006 at 4:36pm
Is there any way to replace the strut bearings without removing the shaft and without special tools? Thanks
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 5:02pm
no

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87Dominique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 5:32pm
I can't just tap them out with a screwdriver and hammer if the prop is off?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 5:43pm
no
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 6:00pm
I just replaced mine on my '84. It has a single tappered shaft and it wasn't fun but it was do-able.
You're going to have to remove the coupler that connects to the transmission from the shaft. You'll also need to remove the prop and rutter.
This is the way I did it:
Put the new bushings in the freezer. Sprayed the inside of the coupler with PB Blaster a couple of days in a row and again before geting started. Loosen the set screws in the shaft safety collar and remove the shaft packing nut.
Remove the prop. Remove the steering bar from the rutter and the packing nut on the rutter. Have someone below to make sure the rutter doesn't crash to the ground. In my case, the boat was in exactly the wrong place on the trailer. The rutter was hitting the prop-propector bar. So I used a floor jack and a 2x12 to lift the boat enough so the rutter would clear the bar. Be careful and wear gloves, the rutter is sharp and heavy.

Remove the two square-headed set screws from the coupler. Since the tranny was out, I had enough room to use a gear puller. I held the outer collar of the coupler with a big pipe wrench and a friend cranked the stud on the puller. It was rough but the coupler finally came off.   Make sure the shaft key is out of the shaft.
The pull the shaft out from the stern.
I cleaned the coupler with solvent, then simple green and shined it up with emmory cloth. Then put it in a 400 degree oven for 4 hourse (really).
In the mean time, I used a steering wheel puller (the kind with a weight that slides back and forth on the handle -- I've also heard thrm called a slide hammer puller) to get the bushings out. I put to of the claws in the bushing, then slide the third in and attached it to the puller. Oh, don't forget to remove the set screws on the side of the strut.
I cleaned the shaft and keys with emmory cloth.
Took the new bushings from the freezer and tapped them into the strut with a rubber mallet. Align the ridges of the bushings so it creates a continous grove. Then in with the shaft, have one person under the boat to guide it through the thru hull. I had to get it some whacks with the mallet to get it in. Using water to lubricate the bushing may have made it easier.
I put some high temperature anti-sieze on the shaft. I don't know if that does any good. Place the key in the shaft log. You and your helper put on a pair of oven mits. Put the coupler in a skillet and carry it out to the boat. Hand the pan to the helper who is already in the boat. Set the skillet on a piece lumber so it doesn't melt the carpet.
Slide the coupler on. I gave it two good whacks with the mallet and it slid right into place.   I let it cool over night then painted it a nice glossy black.
pmt2234 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmt2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 6:00pm
I removed mine on an 84 2001 when I had the prop and shaft removed from the boat. They moved much easier up toward the boat.

I think trying to push them out the bottom with a screwdriver would nick the shaft and tear up any replacement bearings.

If you try it anyway and it works, let us know.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 6:12pm
Now, supposing you don't have a gear puller and a fancy pants slide hammer, I've heard of doing this way (but I have not personal experience).
Separate the shaft/tranny coupling. Place a deep socket in the coupling, centered on the shaft. I would say a 1/2" deep would do it. Buy some longer bolts (say 3-1/2") and place them in the coupling holes. Alternatly tighten the four bolts until the shaft is free. If you have a douple tappered shaft, you don't need to do all this.
As far the bushings. I've heard of two methods.
1. Use a socket that has an outer wall slightly bigger than the shaft but smaller than the strut diameter. Tap the socket through to knock the bushing out.
or
2. Insert a hacksaw blade through the inside on the bushing (where the shaft would go) and commence to sawing.   Stop before you saw into the strut. Use a cold chisel to get a lip up and some needle-nose to pull it out.
It's not hard, it's just a pain.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 10:31pm
Jimbo, I applaud your inginuity.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 10:40pm
I've also used #2 method with success.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 10:48pm
Also use method #2 to remove bearing...

When installing a new bearing , I use a long pc of all-thread rod with the same socket to "pull" it into place... not as much of a chance to bend strut as pounding on it.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 11:02pm
Jimbo, very innovative!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
83SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 7:34pm
I replaced mine this year and found it easier to remove the strut than trying to do it on the boat. I have done it without removing the strut before and removed the shaft. It is easier to remove the strut in my opinion. Remove the prop, take fasteners out of strut and slide strut off of the shaft. Put the strut in a vise with rubber inserts and remove with the above mentioned socket setup. Put new bushings in the freezer while your wife isn't looking and the strut in the oven until hot. Take strut and place back in vise and remove bushings from freezer and they will almost slide in.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 3:00am
Thanks for the complements guys, but I must give credit where credit is due...
I figured some of this out on my own from experience like since I was a kid and not having the proper tools to work on things...things like building a submarine at age 14
I learned some by reading these boards which have been a God-send. And I've gotten some tips from Vince and Richard at Discount Marine And some I learned in college!
83SN2001...pulling the strut seemed like a good option. I just didn't do it. I'm sure heating that strut up to 400 degrees and putting the bearings in the freezer would have made them slide together like, hmmm, like something slick.
Never under-estimate the co-effient of expansion!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87Dominique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 3:09pm
83SN2001, when you put the strut back on did you seal it with silicone or anything?
83SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 8:47pm
3M marine sealer around the bolt holes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87Dominique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 6:02pm
Thanks for your help everyone, this website is awsome, i'm going to follow 83SN2001's advice and remove the strut.
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 1:45am
Reviving this thread because I am about to do the dreaded cutlass/strut bearing replacement.

Based on my reading of all the strut and bearing threads, plus Eric's alignment thread, it seems like I can drop the strut and swap out the bearings. Next, remount the strut (seal the mounting bolts) and do the alignment.

Three questions: Does the above sound about right? What am I missing? Who wants to come to southern Maryland and help me?

Thanks,

Mike
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 2:27am
Originally posted by 69 Mustang 69 Mustang wrote:

Reviving this thread because I am about to do the dreaded cutlass/strut bearing replacement.

Based on my reading of all the strut and bearing threads, plus Eric's alignment thread, it seems like I can drop the strut and swap out the bearings. Next, remount the strut (seal the mounting bolts) and do the alignment.

Three questions: Does the above sound about right? What am I missing? Who wants to come to southern Maryland and help me?

Thanks,

Mike

might want to remove the rudder and prop first so that you can slide the strut off of the shaft.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 2:34am
Thanks 79, already done. I should have mentioned that.

btw, I have been following the GL thread - looks like you all had a good time. Sorry I missed it.

In your opinion, will my plan work?

Thanks,
Mike

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 4:26am
well cross your fingers and hope you don't have to fix any gelcoat before you bolt it back on because if 5200 was used then some gel is coming off too when the strut is removed.

It's a good method if your not replacing the shaft or adding a dripless as it saves not having to remove the coupling from the shaft if it's a double tapper then the coupling just pops off and it just as easy.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 8:33am
Mike, The strut doesn't need to be removed from the boat to replace the cutlass. Some other threads have mentiond it but a length of threaded rod, nuts and large fender washers make a great tool to press it in while on the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 1:28pm
Thanks Peter,

What you describe requires removing the shaft, correct?

I guess I was trying to do the least amount of work and, more importantly, keep it at my comfort level. The thought of removing the shaft is more daunting to me than pulling the strut.

Guess there is no easy or best way...

Thanks,

Mike

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 2:41pm
Mike, I think removing the shaft is the easier way even though you will need to drop the rudder. If you pull the strut, it then needs to be resealed and then I would recommend checking the alignment of the strut to the engine. If it bolted back on in a slightly different position then the engine will need to be moved. I have also seen shims between the strut base and the hull put there to line it's bore up with the hole in the bottom of the boat.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 7:22pm
The more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

Thanks again.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic