NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yearly hull maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yearly hull maintenance
    Posted: May-10-2019 at 4:14pm
Have a question...what do you do to your hull yearly to keep your hull in shape?

I'm mostly curious if you all do a yearly polish (also light compounding?), if the hull isn't showing any oxidation?

I restored my gel last year, and have been consistent in keeping it waxed over summer...I can't see any oxidation/degradation

I'm going to throw it in the water soon, but before I do I wanted to do any hull work before it is on the lift.

So do you all do anything more than just clean/wax (if there is no oxidation)?

My instincts say to hit it with a light polish before waxing...also, what products do you use to remove all prior wax?
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2019 at 10:20am
Every time you polish/cleaner wax you remove a slight amount of gel coat. I would think just using a good carnuba wax should give it the protection you will need for another season. I brought back the shine on '93 back last season and am thinking that's all I'll do this year.
Thoughts from the peanut gallery?
TWSS
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2019 at 12:10pm
I think it’s completely dependent on sun exposure. I dealt with a lot of fade because of the way my lift is oriented. This year since I bought an off-brand inferior boat I decided to get a waterline cover to block the sunlight from the sun-facing starboard side.

I do know that gel coat 3M compound and a polisher alone can do wonders. I also watched a well-known guru apply Perfect-it followed by Finesse-It and finally Colonite boat wax to obtain an almost unreal —as new finish on his 2006 206.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2019 at 12:59pm
Hagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

This
https://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/fiberglass-boat-cleaner/

Followed by this

https://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/fleetwax-paste-wax/

Just ordered both. We will see how they work. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic