NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What would you do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2019 at 1:45pm
If you are even a little mechanically inclined the R &R of your engine is fairly straightforward - as was said biggest issue may be hoisting it out of the boat. And yes, take lots of pics - before unplugging/ disconnecting and after as well.
I'd certainly remove as much of the interior as possible in & around the work area since it doesn't take much to damage the skins. I'd also cover your carpet with a poly tarp and tape it down as best you can - oil & grease can and will soak right through canvas.

Finally, be sure you get an exact explanation, in writing, of everything the machine shop is actually going to do to the engine. $2k seems really cheap for everything that should be done. Or at least as Ken indicated, they should be tearing it completely down to CHECK for spun bearings and the like. That in and of itself is a lot of labor. My 2 cents
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40 -- more or less ...
MrMcD View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2019 at 5:01pm
485 hours, the inside of that engine should be nearly new if it was well cared for.
The guys are right, you won't know till someone qualified opens if up.
A rookie opening it up may not notice what actually happened in there.

If it is just a bent rod, that is all I would replace but then you need to find what caused it or it will happen again, with a rebuild or not the cause is still in that engine unless Ken is correct and a mechanic made a big boo boo causing this issue.
Tear down will tell you everything.
I have a lot of internal engine experience, If I pulled the oil pan and the bearing was perfect on this bad connecting rod I would not even inspect the others. They will be in the same shape. If that rod did spin a bearing then absolutely you are tearing it all the way down.
When the head comes off the gasket can be examined to see if it had failed letting coolant in to that cylinder. Read the piston head, the carbon build up or lack of carbon build up will tell you how that cylinder was running. When the head comes off all 4 cylinders should look the same. One bent rod that knocks will leave witness marks on the head and piston top where they have been touching.
If that cylinder had fuel leaking or coolant leaking in it will not look the same, it will be much cleaner. Less carbon build up. and may look washed clean.
!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic