Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do I have here? Port Side Steering

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Lefty805 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty805 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do I have here? Port Side Steering
    Posted: May-13-2019 at 2:49pm
Hello all, and thanks for the add to the group.

I am new to the Correct Craft family, as I just purchased this boat last week.

The title says it's a 1973 Skier, but it looks nothing like the brochure pictures from this website.

Any help in telling me what I've got here would be greatly appreciated.

I was told it was a Buick V6 - 231cc, does that look correct?

Also, if I could find out what might be missing or maybe an aftermarket add that shouldn't be there, that would be helpful.

I pulled the floor in front of the motor, and there is a spot for a pylon, but there was no pylon with the boat. If someone could direct me to one, I would really appreciate it.

The big question I have is why is my steering column on the opposite side of any Correct Craft I have seen on this website and in the online brochures?

Thanks in advance for all your help, I look forward to our ongoing discussions!

Tim

[IMG]
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2019 at 3:15pm
1970 Skier. Fairly odd bird, the 69-70 Skier most commonly came with the I6 Dodge. This one looks to have gotten a leftover LH (standard rotation) Buick V6 more commonly found in the earlier Skylark (both were based on the same 16’1” hull as the Mustang). Port driver location typically followed the LH engine rotation. Both the 1st gen Skier (69-70) and more common 2nd gen (71-75) were no-frills versions of the Mustang, though the 2gen typically got v8’s.

Non original parts on yours include the Ski Tique graphics, windshield and mirror (and trailer). Looks to be in pretty decent shape. Welcome!
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2019 at 3:20pm
Beautiful boat! I’ll let some of the guys who know the older models better than I chime in (edit. Tim chimed in before I posted. Great info as usual!). That said the graphics are “aftermarket”. Remove those and buff and that hull is going to be perfect by the looks of your pics.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Lefty805 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty805 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2019 at 3:32pm
Thanks for that.
Can you explain to me how to remove those graphics? It is definitely a decal, the port side is faded in several areas. I will get right to removing, as soon as I hear how to...
Lefty805 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty805 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2019 at 3:35pm

port side graphics
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2019 at 3:41pm
That fade looks like paint. You sure they are decals? If decals I would just peel them off. If stubborn, we had some good luck with a cheap metal shade clamp light you can buy at the hardware store and pop a bulb in. Seemed safe and took our pinstripes right off.
Lefty805 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty805 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2019 at 3:56pm
They are raised from the paint. They look like decals. The 'Correct Craft' on the transom is paint. I will take your advice and try the light. I believe I have one, if you look across the bow, by the white shovels, I have a lamp there; is that what you're talking about?
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2019 at 5:04pm
Heat gun and some careful peeling will remove them. Just heat one letter at a time and remove. If you are lucky the adhesive will come off along with the vinyl.

3M also sells an eraser wheel. You can put it in your electric drill and use it to remove any type of sticker. They are expensive so I'd only use one for stubborn areas.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
Lefty805 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty805 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2019 at 5:15pm
Awesome! Thanks for the advice. Next day off you'll find me in the garage heating and peeling....
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2019 at 8:55pm
I have also used the eraser wheel with great success as well on stubborn decals. However that also involved learning a lesson on go slow or you will burn the gel. Luckily for me it was a very small spot and I was able to wet sand the burn mark off (had to solicit advice from site members for the fix, this site is full of advice).
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2019 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

I have also used the eraser wheel with great success as well on stubborn decals. However that also involved learning a lesson on go slow or you will burn the gel. .

Tim,
Careful with this because I have a feeling the hull has been painted.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Lefty805 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty805 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2019 at 10:12pm
I will take it slow.
I’ll take pics and keep you updated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic