NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

accel pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: accel pump
    Posted: September-11-2006 at 5:58pm
Yes I know this was just a recent post, however I thought I would srart a new one(sorry to repeat)...I am wondering at what point should gas begin to squirt???

I disconnected the cable and manually moved the linkage...I do get gas squirting though the whole range...but there may be a slight pause at first. The reason I ask...is...carb seems adjusted to where I am used to setting it up and everything is working fine except when putting it in gear (lowest forward idle speed)...it wants to die unless I throttle it up a bit or set the idle at 900rmps (which is too high).

So...what I wonder is...should the eccel pump be starting when I move to forward gear???
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

delhidream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delhidream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 6:30pm
Stang 72 this sounds like it could be similar to what I had posted on throttle linkage adjustment. Maybe mine is also the accelerator pump adjustment, Ive played with it at diferent settings but still haven't been able to keep it from wanting to die when putting it in gear, unless I give it some quick juice as soon as it engages. Keep me posted on what you learn. Thanks Randy!!!!!!!!!!!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 8:41pm
Here's the adjustments for my Holley. The accel pump shouldn't engage while in gear at idle.

Tim D
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 9:07pm
Tim...man you are the picture king!

The .015 adjustment at the pump arm...are you adjusting it with the linkage at wot or back at the nuetral position?

Thanks!
stang

The Super Air

JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 9:15pm
   Does it want to die when returning to idle and still in gear???

Jeff...
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 9:26pm
Where it stuggles is...as soon as the tranny is engaged...under load.Also... I just got back from running it in the drive....there was a bit of hesitation at the beginning of each forward stroke....and then it would rev strong.
It happens right off idle.

Jeff...not sure about the question...if after running the boat(speeding along on the lake) and returning to nuetral...as soon as I engage the tranny at the slowest forward (idle)speed...it either dies,nearly dies or struggles and limps along...not running smooth.My buddy said it sounds like it might be loading up.
stang

The Super Air

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 9:33pm
    Sorry for the confusion of my question. I was just wondering if it wants to die or run rough as you slowly return to a slow idle after running it down the lake (just before the point it goes into neutral).

Also, going into reverse should result in the same thing (wanting to die) as going into forward gear.

Jeff...
delhidream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delhidream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 9:39pm
My rebuild kit said to push the pump operating arm in as far as it would go then set the adjustment screw at .015. Is that not right? Maybe I misunderstood what holley meant, and now I can't seem to find the instructions where I read that.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 10:04pm
Jeff...yep, revese is the same...it just has a spot when engaging...when I trottle her up it takes off...so it's right off idle.
stang

The Super Air

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 10:32pm
Are sure the powervalve isn't bad? Last year when mine hiccupped through the carb the powervalve was blown. It wouldn't take any throttle so I had to idle back to the pier for 5 miles. The directions say .015" at WOT.
Here's the whole directions.
Tim D
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 10:44pm
Powervalve should be OK...no problems running solid though the whole rpm band...WOT is where I usually run...just off idle.If I throw it down...she takes off like usual.

Also...I read on the holley Web site...For a test..if you suspect a blown PV...turn the idles screws in...if the engine dies , the PV is not blown. Mine will die if I turn the screws in.

For now a temp solution...I robbed another carb off one of the other boats...I think I will rebuild it over the winter anyway....don't know when it last was.
stang

The Super Air

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 8:37pm
   stang, the other carb solved the problem??

Jeff...
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 8:52pm
Jeff...I have used that carb before as well as another(done some carb swapping!)One advantage to multiple boats...all ford with holleys

Either of the other carbs work as they should...that eliminates a bunch of other checks! I just can't seem to dial in that particular carb. Just that one spot off idle is not getting it And it is close...but no cigar So...sense it's off, I figure I will just get the basic rebuild kit.

One last question??? (for now) What happens if the accel pump is too early? Might it load up a bit?

Thanks for the responses and pics!
stang

The Super Air

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 9:18pm
     COOL way to be able to diagnose!!!! That is awesome!!!! Some of us are not so lucky!! In my opinion, the accel pump wouldnt squirt enough fuel at that little throttle advancing by the shifter, even if was early. The throttle should just barely move, and even if it was bit too much, it should clear itself with that minute amount of gas being squirted.

Jeff...
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 9:32pm
You can also get the accel pump cam kit and adjust/customize the pump.
Tim D
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 10:52pm
I rebuilt the thing and it's doing the job! Perhaps the new PV? or the acel pump was bad? Maybe just needed new gaskets...or cleaning!
In fact I don't care what caused the problem But problem is solved!

Thanks for the always insighfull responses!
stang

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic