NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1998 GT-40 Starter not engaging

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2019 at 2:18pm
TRBeng maybe it was smacking the starter with the hammer. I did that, then it started.
CYS
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2019 at 2:04pm
OK...the mysteries of this boat continue. It is cranking up. Hmm.... to some degree I enjoy these mysteries, to some degree I find them quite fun to process. But this GT-40, this 1998 Sport Nautique with only 260 hours on it has offered up some newbies.

My last GT-40 burned in a house fire, my neighbor was burning leaves...(and you know the rest of the story).

I have had three GT-40's, owned one or another continual since 1998. This one is by far the most interesting one.   Hope it continues to crank but I gave no idea why it is cranking now...and wouldn't crank an hour ago.
CYS
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2019 at 12:56pm
TRBeng you wrote:
"then check the I/o at the relay. Make sure you have full batt voltage at the (batt) input and start terminal from the key switch... and that you get some voltage out when the key is turned"
Could you be a little more visual/specific for me? I'm not certain what I/o means nor what/where the batt input is.

Thanks.
CYS
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2019 at 12:30pm
You mention the battery is fully charged. Just to eliminate that as a possibility I'd either put a different battery in or use a jumper pack or cables to a good battery. Nice to eliminate the easy stuff before digging deeper.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2019 at 12:20pm
If all cable connections (both ends of pos and neg, all the way from the battery to the block and starter) are clean, tight and in good condition (free of corrosion and damage), then check the I/o at the relay. Make sure you have full batt voltage at the (batt) input and start terminal from the key switch... and that you get some voltage out when the key is turned. I would give the starter a good tap with a hammer as that may free it up if it’s stuck. Beyond that, it’s most likely the starter causing your issue if all else checks out.
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2019 at 12:09pm
Also replaced relays with extras I have on hand. No start.
CYS
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2019 at 12:09pm
Cleaned battery cables and all connections thoroughly.

Tried the positive battery terminal to red cabled solenoid connection - the starter does not engage.
CYS
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2019 at 11:25am
First things first... clean your battery cable terminals and make sure they’re tight.
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2019 at 11:20am
Last year I had relay failure which Keno and a few others assisted/solved the issue.
CYS
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2019 at 10:12am
Anybody got time to walk me through what to do?

1998 Sport Nautique with GT-40; fully charged battery; turn key hear fuel pump, hear clicking/popping; starter not engaging.

Thanks for the help.

Charlie Sink
Lexington, NC
CYS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic