Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Tique Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Tique Wiring
    Posted: May-20-2019 at 8:37am
Most of the engine mechanical work is done, I am moving on to the electrical portion. The engine was converted to an electronic ignition years ago with a PCM coil and a pertronix. The ballast resistor was bypassed and there isn’t a circuit breaker on the engine either. Is this normal for a
77 Ski Tique?

I searched the forum and found a few wiring diagrams, most of them show a breaker and a resistor.

Anyone have a picture of the bracket on the back of the engine that the resistor, relay and breaker would be mounted to?

At some point in the past, someone must have wired something wrong because the plastic cover that goes over these is severely warped like it experienced some heat.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2019 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Mille1sj Mille1sj wrote:

At some point in the past, someone must have wired something wrong because the plastic cover that goes over these is severely warped like it experienced some head.

Now that's a good way to start the day

There are many deformed ones and many that landed in the trash from the deforming.

The diagram below is probably the most accurate for your 77.

It shows no breaker and I had a 76 351 PCM that never had a breaker when it was new.

Also when the Pertronix was installed , the directions would have recommended bypassing the resistor.

If the module is black, it's the original Ignitor and if it's red, it's an ignitor 2.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2019 at 9:30am
Here's a picture from an old thread showing the bracket that held the starter solenoid/relay, the ballast resistor the breaker and if you have the original alternator and external voltage regulator, it mounted on the left side of the same bracket

The picture was a 1980's engine

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2019 at 10:38am
Here's a picture from another old thread with the external voltage regulator mounted to the plate

Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2019 at 10:48am
Thanks Ken! The wiring diagram is different than the one I found on the site. Yours looks like what I need. The plat on my engine had the relay, regulator and the abandoned resistor. I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t originally a breaker that was removed at some point.

I just got a new wire harness so I can get rid the old that has been cut and spliced for 40 years.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2019 at 11:04am
That diagram came from when PCM was a division of Waukesha , you can find it in the link below to the CCF reference section.

It's scattered through a lot of threads here on CCF

Page 11 of the manual has the diagram.

Not much changed till later years, then the TRB diagram is good and a lot easier to follow for early 80's and newer.

link
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2019 at 11:27am

I just got a new wire harness so I can get rid the old that has been cut and spliced for 40 years.

If it's the harness from SkiDim, you'll have some minor issues with alternator wiring if you're using the original alternator and external regulator since theirs is for later years with an internal regulator.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2019 at 12:02pm
I purchased the SkiDim harness. Thanks for the heads up.

Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2019 at 10:02pm
I have a newer style alternator with an internal voltage regulator. Maybe that will make it easier.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 1:43am

I have a newer style alternator with an internal voltage regulator. Maybe that will make it easier.

You should be able to figure it out (or get some help here)

What's the brand/model of the newer alternator?

BTW Let me know if you want a black plastic unmelted cover complete with the hole for a breaker, I think I have one. Black was from later years
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 10:03am
I didn't install the new alternator, it was done during the couple years that the boat was sold to someone else, but there was some paperwork for it.

Based on the paperwork and looking online it appears to be an Ac Delco Part # 7152N-94A (201594) Delco 10SI Series Marine 94 Amp/12 Volt Alternator. 1-wire

The original voltage regulator was still on the boat and hooked up? I am a little confused why. I guess its possible the person that changed the Alternator didn't know it could be removed.

As I mentioned before, there isn't a breaker installed either and the ballast resistor was not being sued..
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 10:28am

I didn't install the new alternator, it was done during the couple years that the boat was sold to someone else,   I guess its possible the person that changed the Alternator didn't know it could be removed.

That certainly could explain the melted plastic cover!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 11:45am
Unfortunately, I have had to fix quit a few things from the last owner, including the holes he cut in the dash and gunnel for a radio, amp and speakers.

So, considering my alternator had a voltage regulator, I should be able to remove the one on the back of the engine by the solenoid.

The resistor was bypassed based on the instruction for the Pertronix and the EI Coil.

Should I add a 20 AMP breaker?

I have no problems wiring an entire house, but this stuff confuses...there is a reason I'm a Mechanical Engineer, not Electrical.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 12:00pm
You can ditch the regulator.

A 40 or 50 amp breaker like in the TRB diagram would be good to add.

Your new harness will resemble the TRB diagram.

The one wire Delco hookup is easy.

The 10 gauge orange wire in the harness goes to the alternator output terminal.

The exciter wire (green on his diagram) doesn't get used. Tape the end so it can't short out on anything

You probably have an ammeter on the 77 just to complicate things a little

If so, you'll be kinda combining parts of both diagrams
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 12:17pm
All or most of the black plastic covers were warped or disfigured when these old boats were new within the first 3 or 4 years.   It was kind of rare to see one in great condition

And you can edit to remove the "d" and replace it with a "t" but, I'd probably leave it as is cause it's funny.
Keep it....from sinkin'
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

And you can edit to remove the "d" and replace it with a "t" but, I'd probably leave it as is cause it's funny.

HA! Auto Correct will get you sometimes...
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You can ditch the regulator.

A 40 or 50 amp breaker like in the TRB diagram would be good to add.

Your new harness will resemble the TRB diagram.

The one wire Delco hookup is easy.

The 10 gauge orange wire in the harness goes to the alternator output terminal.

The exciter wire (green on his diagram) doesn't get used. Tape the end so it can't short out on anything

You probably have an ammeter on the 77 just to complicate things a little

If so, you'll be kinda combining parts of both diagrams

Thanks Ken! The harness seemed pretty straight forward at first.

Any idea where I can get the bracket like the one in your picture that the plastic cover screws into and holds the breaker? I have a different bracket that only has one hole for the cover to screw in to. I checked SkiDim, but it looks like they only have it as part of a kit.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 3:26pm

Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

HA! Auto Correct will get you sometimes...

You may have changed your D to a T but my quote remains the same

And..........I ain't changing it cause like Doc said, it's funny

I'll look and see if I have an extra bracket
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 3:49pm
It is forever archived. If you have a bracket, that would be great. I can check with SkiDim too and see if they have a source for the brackets they include in their kits.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 3:58pm
I'll check for a bracket this afternoon
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 8:34pm
Steve

I have a bracket and a black cover that's it real good condition. It hasn't experienced much heaT

Send me a PM with your address and they'll be yours.

Did SkiDim send any kind of diagram or instructions with the harness?
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2019 at 9:47pm
Thanks Ken, I really appreciate it. I didn’t get a diagram or anything with the harness from SkiDim.

I’ll send you a PM with my address now.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2019 at 9:40pm
Steve

Bracket and cover are on the way
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2019 at 7:39pm
I got the Bracket and cover today.

Thanks Ken!
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2019 at 5:23pm
I could you some assistance finishing the wiring on on my Ski Tique here are some details and photos for reference.

1977 ford 302
Pertronix ignitor (the black one)
1 wire delco alternator
Ballast resistor has always been bypassed
Voltage regulator was disconnected and taped, I removed it.
I have an amp meter on the dash not voltage

Can I remove the resistor or do I need to keep it but bypass?

Anyone up for a phone call?

Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2019 at 9:24pm
I looked through some of The wiring diagrams. It looks like I should leave the resistor, and connect the two purple wires and the red from the carb choke to on post on the resistor to bypass. Orange from alternator to the the breaker, then a red wire from other side of breaker to the Solenoid (A) or the positive battery cable.

Any thing standout as being wrong?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2019 at 11:19pm
If you want to keep the ammeter functional, you'll have to wire it like the early diagram so the battery charges thru the ammeter.

With the Ski Dim harness, I'd ditch the ammeter and put a voltmeter in it's place.

I'll take you up on that phone call

Check your PM's for a number
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic