Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering wheel replacement '93 SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering wheel replacement '93 SN
    Posted: May-20-2019 at 12:34pm
Was wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket steering wheel available with the 7 bolt pattern? My original wheel's leather is very hard to hold anymore.
TWSS
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2019 at 1:51pm
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2019 at 2:01pm
I used to be in the heavy truck, off highway and motor home steering wheel business. Grant is a good go-to and is the OE source for a lot of these steering wheels. By the way—your wheel is not leather covered; it is molded self-skinning urethane. The detail and stitching that makes it look like a leather wheel is because the mold was made from a plaster pattern off of a real leather wheel and then a cast beryllium mold was made for the production urethane wheel.

I’ve had folks at Case New Holland tell me they picked the thread off of the urethane wheel—that it was definitely leather!

Hope you get a good deal!
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2019 at 10:05pm
Gregg I replaced my wheel a few months ago with a Grant but my wheel hub was a standard center spline system. Several manufacturers make hub adapters though so first just find a style you like then maybe you can find one that is adaptable to your hub. I bought mine HERE but of course there are many online dealers. CPP carries dozens of brands and styles as well as the hubs and hub adapters so maybe you could at least get an idea there.

SOOO much nicer than the one that was on it (not sure if it was original either)

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2019 at 12:18am

Can anyone tell me the trick to getting this steering wheel off without wrecking the tilt mechanism?
TWSS
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2019 at 2:39am
That looks like the same center spline system as mine, just a different steering wheel. I had to use a 2 jaw puller, but modify the tines a bit so they'd work with the strange offset of my wheel. If yours in indeed like mine, unfortunately they don't just 'slip' on and off. It's kind of like the taper fit props in that they get seated and you pretty much have to torque the puller down and tap on the wheel and stud till it breaks. Might even need a little heat from a propane torch. But it also looks like you may have a hub that goes on first and the wheel mounts to the hub. So then you may need to take the wheel off via those 7 allen (socket head) bolts to get the hub off. My old one was all one piece, no separate hub.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2019 at 10:30am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

If yours in indeed like mine, unfortunately they don't just 'slip' on and off. It's kind of like the taper fit props in that they get seated and you pretty much have to torque the puller down and tap on the wheel and stud till it breaks. .

Shouldn't be like that,
I've had my '95s off several times and just pulled the one on my 2000 sport and had no issue just pulling it off.
I'm guessing he has quite a bit corrosion in there, which some penetrating spray and wiggling will be needed.
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2019 at 11:57am
Where did you find your two jaw puller? I've tried the penetrating oil and lots of "wiggleing". Banging and tapping. Afraid to do too much more and screw up the tilt helm.
TWSS
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2019 at 8:49pm
Been so long I couldn't tell you Gregg but it was just a generic puller I've had around the shop for years. I think it was in fact a steering wheel puller, just for automotive. I'm sure you could find an inexpensive one at a Harbor Freight.

Well Paul, honestly this one was the first boat wheel I've taken off so I really didn't have a clue if this was normal or not. But as I've said in the past, at least one of the PO's had done some odd things to this boat before I bought it.   And come to think of it, the wheel that was on there didn't really look like those I've seen on other 95 SN's so maybe it was changed out at some point??
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2019 at 9:23am
Found one and wasn't pretty but it worked. Aluminum hub on a steel shank it had almost become "one". These old boats are full of suprises
TWSS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic