NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1981 Carburetor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gregpenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregpenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1981 Carburetor
    Posted: May-24-2019 at 12:13pm
I have a 1981 ski natique with the original engine and carburetor. I believe it is a holly. I had it rebuilt a few years ago, but it has developed a leak that I can’t fix. Could someone recommend a replacement carburetor and where I could buy one? Thanks!!!!!
GP
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2019 at 12:27pm
Greg,
Where's the leak? Is at one of the welch plugs? (a plug for sealing an unused end of a passage)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gregpenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregpenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2019 at 2:13pm
Yes. I didn’t know what they were called. They look like flat plugs that are pressed in. There are two of them leaking.
GP
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2019 at 2:37pm
Let them dry up and use some JB weld compatible with aluminum/metal etc. Works perfectly fine for a long long time. Maybe swipe the area to be sealed up with a clean rag and acetone or some other solvent.

If you are a real stickler order some new bowls or if you just have money burning a hole in your pocket you could pick up a new Holley or with a few slight mods drop on a more modern Quick Fuel M-600.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2019 at 3:18pm
Greg,
There are several threads on the plugs leaking. I did a search and here's one of them. Lot's easier that a carb replacement!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gregpenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregpenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2019 at 6:05pm
Thank you very much. Great info!
GP
gregpenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregpenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 12:32pm
First of all, thank all of you for helping me with this problem. I decided to go with a new Quick Fuel carburetor. After a lot of thought and searching for an adapter to change the fuel inlet, I was concerned that this is a pressurized fuel line and if it rubbed against something and developed a leak, it would be spraying fuel on the engine.   i decided to mock up my old one and take it to a hose and pipe supply store and have them bend me a new one. It was $39 and it worked great. Required almost no adjustment when i installed the fuel line. I bolted the new carb on and the boat started right up. With absolutely no adjustment, the boat ran better than it has in many years. Very happy with the result. Here are some pictures in case this helps anyone in the future.

GP
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 12:44pm
Greg,
Very nice. I like the metal line plus less expensive than the common USCG rubber flex.

Fill us in on how the QF works out for you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 12:50pm
Good work! The Quick fuels run great out of box darn near EFI.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2019 at 5:23pm
Well done, Lad. I'm a big QF fan.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic