NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Air Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2019 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by brantb brantb wrote:

, if anyone has a prop puller in the denver area i could borrow that would be awesome. Otherwise i will end up buying one, but trying to save the $100 for other things i will inevitably need.

Brant,
The $10.00 prop puller thread

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 12:19pm
After a couple of tries i got the correct impeller. Ended up overpaying at a dealer, but it was quick, great people there, and the tech knew exactly what i needed when asking about a 20 year old boat.

Took the boat to the lake to test it out. Fired it up and immediately checked for water flow. There wasnt any. Pulled the pump and switched it around and got it working. I guess what i thought was the logical way of putting it back in was backwards. Anyways, let it warm up on the trailer and now i have a small water leak out of the intake manifold gasket. Guess the motor got a touch too hot with the bad impeller.

I said the hell with it and took it out anyways. It isnt running 100%, but it is enough to drive around the lake and enjoy it for the summer. I plan on pulling the motor this fall and rebuilding it, so not too worried about damaging the motor. I still havent been able to pull the prop, but have a buddy working on burning out parts for the $10 prop puller. Going to take it out again tomorrow and give it another go. After I know it is somewhat reliable i need to pick up a polisher and some compound and start working on cleaning up the hull. It is dull and very dirty from me working on it and climbing in and out.

Any suggestions on polishers and compound? I havent polished/buffed a boat before, but figured with some youtube education and tips from here i can figure it out. It cant get worse.

Also, the carpet is nasty, and i generally dont like carpet. Anyone out there tear it out and put down sea deck or something similar?

EDIT: Thinking about picking up a DUI distributor. That is something i can add now that will transfer to the new or rebuilt engine. Are they worth it? I am looking at https://performancedistributors.com/product/marine-dui-distributors/ which is what i have read in other posts.
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 2:45pm
I've had good luck with a random orbital buffer, wool bonnet, and Meguiar's diamond cut compound (this was for an oxidized Whaler, not the Mustang). Start in areas with no graphics until you get a feel for it. Remember to topcoat the whole boat with wax after you finish compounding - so the oxidation doesn't come back.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2019 at 1:44pm
Quick update. I took the boat out again to cruise around this past Saturday. The starter is now staying engaged too long, or wont engage so that was interesting. The motor seems to be running stronger, and i finally got the majority of the unknown age gas out of it and put in some fresh non-ethanol. WOT seemed a little off. When i got back home i checked out the linkage. At > ~85% throttle the linkage was binding up with the secondaries so i took care of that. Might try to get out some day after work to run some more gas and some sea foam through it.

Still need to get a photo of it on the water to post up.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2019 at 2:25pm
A picture of what the linkage issue was and the fix for it would be good to see
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2019 at 1:23pm
I will get the pictures posted up this afternoon. Took it out yesterday and now that the throttle can open all the way it isnt running as good. I am thinking that the secondaries arent open because they were being jammed up before and the diaphragm is probably bad.

Also swapped out plugs, doing fuel filter today and going to check the diaphragm. Maybe i can get it locally, otherwise i will probably order one and give it another test this coming weekend. I really need to do the shaft packing. I have to run the bilge for 1-2 minutes every half hour so it is well over how much it is supposed to drip.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2019 at 1:32pm
A little voice in my head says your "fix" may be the reason it's not running as good.

Pictures will be helpful

brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2019 at 2:02pm

Here i changed the angle of the throttle cable so it can pull to WOT. It just changed the angle slightly.

Here the bolt was sticking about 3/8 of an inch out the back. At close to WOT it was hitting where the red arrow is. My assumption is that was stopping the secondaries from opening and over time caused the diaphragm to go bad. I will be checking that tonight after work.
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2019 at 1:57am
So....I noticed that "berber" carpet crap wrapped around the shaft log too. BUT..does anyone see the "shims" between the transmission and shaft coupler? Is that normal? THey almost look like pieces of 1/4" plywood or something. Maybe it's just me. Looks "odd" though.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2019 at 12:53pm
I'm looking for the factory tall pylon and have a shorty if you don't like the tall pole....completely understand if you want to keep it but I'm scouring the web for possible trades :) nice boat!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2019 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

I'm looking for the factory tall pylon and have a shorty if you don't like the tall pole....completely understand if you want to keep it but I'm scouring the web for possible trades :) nice boat!

I might take you up on that. I will send a pm if i decide i want the standard one
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2019 at 5:28pm
Sounds good. Send me an email mdvalant at gmail   (sorry if I type it as it should be i'll get spammed)

I don't hang out on the site much so just want to be sure I don't miss your message.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2019 at 9:13pm
Took it out today to test it with new plugs, gas filter and prop. The plugs made a big difference, the prop helped with cavitation and a little holeshot. Put a loose zip tie on the secondary shaft to confirm they are not opening. I have checked the diaphram and know that it is good. Blew some compressed air through the vacuum passage and know that it is clear. What could be causing the secondaries to not be opening?

EDIT: It maxes out at about 3800 rpms at 75-80% throttle. Any more throttle and it starts bogging/dropping rpms. I am assuming this is due to the secondaries not opening and the primaries cant keep up with gas flow.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2019 at 11:06pm
Did you take the choke housing off so that you could remove the secondary diaphragm housing?

Assuming that you did, there should be a small cork gasket where the housing seals to the body of the carburetor.

Was that there and in good shape.

The plugs making a big difference may just be a band aid since the plugs are telling you a story about the rest of the engine usually indicating a problem with something like the fuel or ignition system (or rings or valve seals etc) instead of the plugs just going bad for no reason.at all.
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2019 at 11:10am
I did remove the choke to get the secondary actuator off. The gasket looked like rubber. It was there and in tact, but was flat with the mating surface. Guess that was due to being mounted for so long. I was reading another post and people were saying that usually you cant get that gasket on its own, and usually have to get it as part of a rebuild kit. There was a little goop on one of the edges that i cleaned up, but nothing that was blocking the hole into the diaphragm.

As far as the plugs, you may be right. The old ones were in bad shape and very rusty. They were also 764s vs 24s. The PO didnt maintain this boat at all. The motor will be pulled this fall and gone through. It was it rough shape when i got it.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2019 at 2:22pm
Being way up high in Colorado, do you know if the boat is jetted for high altitude?

On it's best day your engine is down about 15% in power and you say it's not too healthy to begin with.

It could be that the secondaries aren't opening because the demand isn't there.

At roughly sea level the secondaries are probably right on the edge of opening at 3800 rpm or so on a good running engine.

A rebuild of the carburetor couldn't hurt

I don't think I remember seeing any timing numbers both at idle and at high RPM's so that you know it's advancing properly. This could be causing your problems if it's not advancing like it should.

brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 10:24pm
Question time for those that have rebuilt carbs. Looking at either https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/carburetor-kit-holley-for-351-ford-engines-newer-replacement-302-s-pcm-rn0120-1/

or getting the one off the holley site for the carb. Both say they work. Anyone know if they are the exact same? Does either come with reusable gaskets? I am ordering new GFO shaft packing from NP, and guessing the carb could use a rebuild.

Also, i will check the timing when i can borrow or end up buying a timing light.
robertbruder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 11:12pm
I bought the kit off SkiDim. Part # RNO120-1 Repair Kit for my Holley 4160 on Ford 351 with PCM Headers and Velvet Drive Transmission. Mine is a 1988 Sierra Supreme though.

Current: 1988 Sierra Supreme
Past: 1986 Correct Craft Martinique, 1984 Ski Supreme, 1984 Bare Foot Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 9:12am
Since you didn't link to the Holley kit you're talking about, why don't you take a picture of the front of the carburetor showing the list number on the air horn and someone could tell you what Holley kit would be for your carburetor.

It will probably cost a fair amount less than paying for the PCM markup

Here's a picture showing where to find the list number

brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 10:42am
According to holley's web site search i need a 703-47 this one

Some of them look like they have rubber gaskets, this one shows cork. I know the pictures could be outdated, but wondering if someone has purchased one recently.

Basically 46+shipping from holley or 50 (55-10%) from NP where i already will be ordering from. The NP one says it doesnt include the base gasket though
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 8:46pm

Starter was either not engaging or staying engaged, Took it off to see whats up and the gear is loose on the shaft. Is there supposed to be a spring to keep it back unless spinning? It it repairable, or just get a new one?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by brantb brantb wrote:

According to holley's web site search i need a 703-47 this one

Some of them look like they have rubber gaskets, this one shows cork. I know the pictures could be outdated, but wondering if someone has purchased one recently.

Basically 46+shipping from holley or 50 (55-10%) from NP where i already will be ordering from. The NP one says it doesnt include the base gasket though

I'd get whichever one you're comfortable with, I can't imagine that Holley would be selling a kit with the old gaskets still.

The blue ones aren't rubber, but some kind of non stick gasket material.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 8:56pm
The solenoid on top of the starter moves a lever that shoves the gear outwards when energized and when deenergized it pulls the gear back.

You 'll have to take the solenoid and the nose piece off the starter to access the lever and see what is worn.

You can buy individual parts or just spring for a new Marine starter

A good starter for your normal rotation engine is an Arco 70200 or anything that cross references to it. if you go the new route
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 9:12pm
The ink below has an exploded view of a Ford PMGR starter

It's an automotive one and the parts you'd be replacing for the gear issue aren't any different between marine and automotive

link
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 10:02pm
And KENO comes through again. The selenoid is beat up bad and will need to be replaced. Got it working for now if i decide to go out this weekend and dont get a new one in time.

Is there supposed to be a spring? The arm is in good shape. Im guessing it popped off which was what allowed the gear to slide back and forth.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 10:13pm
No spring
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 10:28pm
I'd buy one before the weekend. cause you know it will act up again at just the wrong time

Here's a link down below to one at Advance Auto Parts or you could find it at about any parts store, maybe next day pickup if it's not in stock.

Nothing "marine" about the solenoid. it's a sealed unit

link
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 10:40pm
Brant,
The return spring is inside the solenoid.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2019 at 8:38pm
Had a busy weekend. Decided to clean up some of the gel coat. I figured it would take me a few hours to do the entire boat and i was way wrong. I have never done it before and didnt realize how tough it would be.

Before:

After a little progress. Worked the bow all the way through to get some much needed motivation.

Final:

I learned that there are very few flat surfaces on a boat. Also, it doesnt matter how much you read or the number of videos you watch, you have to do it to get a feel for it. And finally, I now understand why they charge so much to do this. Over the winter i will probably get some 500, 1k, 2k grit sandpaper and give it another go.

And question time: Swapped out the shaft packing. Everything i read led me to believe that on a 176 it should be 3/16 packing. When i put it in it seemed easy, too easy. It wasnt loose in the nut, but wasnt tough to get in either. I ended up getting 4 wraps, each cut at an angle and separated by ~90*. Then tightened it up by hand until snug.

Should the packing go into the nut that easy, or should I have gotten 1/4" GFO?

Edited for bad grammar and spelling
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2019 at 9:01pm
The packing should be fine

it compresses and flattens out

Don't complain about a job going easy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic