Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gaskets set(s) for full rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
robdubbleu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gaskets set(s) for full rebuild
    Posted: June-11-2019 at 8:21pm
Hey guys,

I'm having a full rebuild done on my engine. New (to me) block from 1974. I need to order a set of gaskets and I know some MUST be marine-specific and others can be regular automotive gaskets. Which ones need to be marine, other than the head gaskets? I'd like to order a set, if possible, and then additionally purchase the marine ones I need, without too much overlap.

Bottom line, I need to get the best gaskets I can without wasting too much money where I don't have to.

Thanks!
1976 Ski Nautique (PCM 351) - Currently under major renovation: floor, carpet, interior, gel coat, engine overhaul - ALMOST DONE!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 9:27pm
Gaskets are easy to come by.   
Many are the same, marine or automotive.
All can be ordered at your local auto parts store and they can have them in one day normally.
Places like Summit also sell them on line and deliver quickly.
Fel-Pro makes full overhaul gasket sets, they also make full overhaul Marine Gasket Sets.
For the engine, I would use the Marine Head Gaskets even though they are more expensive.
The body of the gasket is Stainless in a Marine head gasket. If you choose to use Automotive head gaskets you will save money but eventually they will rot out because the body of the gasket is steel, not stainless.
Depending on how you use and store your boat automotive gaskets can last a long time but I would hate to spend a half day changing a gasket because I chose to save a little money a few years back.
There are also specialty Marine gaskets for the Thermostat Water Housing inlet and the Marine exhaust risors that should be changed along with your engine overhaul.
The intake manifold gasket will be standard OEM type unless you have upgraded to an aluminum manifold, aluminum manifolds mounted on Cast Iron heads need a special gasket or they will fail quickly. Fel-Pro offers them if needed.
Mark
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 10:21pm
Last time I put a magnet on a PCM original equipment head gasket I was kinda surprised because it was magnetic. Must be some of that 400 series stainless

it was a well used 31 year old gasket that was still sealing good.

I don't have a FelPro hanging around to compare to though.

Ford part number D7JE-6051-AB (the J says it's marine/industrial }

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 10:35pm
Ok, so what are everyone's thoughts on the skidim gasket set? I'm looking at Item #11617.
Is that a full set for everything I need, except the oil pan gasket? And is it too overpriced at $169 ?

1976 Ski Nautique (PCM 351) - Currently under major renovation: floor, carpet, interior, gel coat, engine overhaul - ALMOST DONE!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 11:15pm
It's not everything you need gasket wise for a full rebuild.

You already mentioned the oil pan gasket (get a 1 piece, it'll make your life a lot easier)

You need a timing chain gasket set (which will probably have the wrong seal for a RR engine but you can get that separately)

You also need
The rear main seal and the front seal (both with a smooth lip for your 74 engine)
Various gaskets like the oil pump mounting gaskets but they'll come with a new pump generally
Carburetor spacer gaskets
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2019 at 8:56am
Some of these numbers were mentioned in your previous thread but here goes again.
FelPro numbers

These are for a RR older engine with a 2 piece rear main seal

Rear seal   BS40042

Front seal    17795

Timing cover gasket set   17875

i piece oil pan gasket   17998

Head replacement gasket set   17260

Thermostat housing    17660

I'd double check all my numbers if I was you

I don't know a FelPro number for the riser gaskets but the PCM number is RM0002 (SkiDim number for that gasket is 0814)

You can find the RM0002 at lots of places
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2019 at 11:39am
If you get parts from an auto parts store, make sue you line them up and compare to your original gaskets. I found that ford has multiple water circulating pump gaskets with cutouts in slightly different orientations.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2019 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Mille1sj Mille1sj wrote:

If you get parts from an auto parts store, make sue you line them up and compare to your original gaskets. I found that ford has multiple water circulating pump gaskets with cutouts in slightly different orientations.

The FelPro kit and a lot of others come with 3 gaskets for sealing the water pump to the timing cover. One will fit like Steve said and the other 2 are for the trash can

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2019 at 2:44pm
Thanks for the help guys. I'm trying to find the least expensive way to get everything I need, without cheaping-out on anything.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2019 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by robdubbleu robdubbleu wrote:

Thanks for the help guys. I'm trying to find the least expensive way to get everything I need, without cheaping-out on anything.

Probably the most cost effective way would be an engine rebuild gasket set from Summit or Jeg's (FelPro or a variety of other brands) and augment that with Stainless Steel head gaskets and correct rotation seals. The ones with the 4 piece oil pan gasket are quite a bit cheaper, just a little harder to work with.

I used a Jeg's gasket set with whatever automotive head gaskets came with it a number of years ago.

The engine was gonna' be for a truck but it found it's way into a boat somehow

I didn't feel like changing gaskets, it gets a lot of use, lives in the water about 6 months out of the year and there haven't been any water issues.

But.............I like screwin' with engines

And also this is in fresh water only, nowhere near salt water

If in doubt get the SS head gaskets.

And their kits come with normal rotation crankshaft front and rear seals, so you'd be replacing them with RR stuff like I mentioned earlier.

Lots of ways to go about this but money spent on gaskets is usually money well spent in the long run.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2019 at 9:30pm
Thanks KENO! That's basically exactly what I was trying to figure out, and the route I'll probably go. Didn't want to cheap out on anything, but wanted to get a kit discount if possible, and not buy a bunch of them twice.

Thanks so much for the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic