Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 SN Drive shaft packing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 SN Drive shaft packing
    Posted: June-14-2019 at 8:39pm
Finally got the boat in the water today after all the work I did on it this spring. One of the items was the gland packing for the drive shaft. I used 1/4" Gore, and the shaft is 1 inch. I read about this a lot and measured the old flax packing and the Gland nut and thought I should use 1/4".
While running today the Gland got quite warm after a couple minute run at 30MPH. I kept playing with it trying to get it to drip like my old 84 did. I liked to run that one at about 6-8 drips per minute. No mater what I did I can only get water to drip from the gland if the locking nut is not tight. I backed off the nut and only tightened it until I could feel it was contacting the packing by hand. set the locking nut and still it gets hot when running, and no dripping. It is not to hot to touch, but I have not run the boat for that long.
Reading this post
linkhttp://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21287&KW=Gore&PID=567402&title=shaft-packing#567402
It sounds like it is impossible to tell.
SkiDim states that 3/16" packing was used on SN's till 2001 or 2002???
Can I replace the packing without removing the drive shaft again???
Thanks for the help.
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2019 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Mpost Mpost wrote:

Can I replace the packing without removing the drive shaft again???
Thanks for the help.

The answer to that is yes

Just unscrew the gland nut and pull the packing out with a small pick type tool of your choice and replace with the new stuff.

It sounds so easy, but you'll have some fun working down in the bilge area doing contortionist moves to get at the packing
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2019 at 12:48am
Martin,
I have found at times once the packing is overtightened, it will not loosen up Then , the solution is a re pack. Start with tightening the gland by hand (no wrenches) then tighten in small increments like 1/16 of a turn.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2019 at 2:40pm
Thanks Pete and Ken. I ordered some 3/16" packing this morning and will try repacking.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2019 at 10:35am
Regarding packing, I have always sourced mine from McMaster.

100% GFO packing

This is W. L. Gore packing at a reasonable cost.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2019 at 1:55pm
While we are on this topic - can anyone verify that my '68 Mustang should also use 3/16" packing? Getting a lot of drips while sitting and it needs to be addressed
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2019 at 2:02pm
Chris,
As it's been mentioned, it's best to measure what size is needed.

Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Originally posted by bfootr bfootr wrote:

HI - I'm getting ready to pack the shaft of my 89 SN. Did you end up using the 3/16" or 1/4" size? Thanks.

It is likely that you need 3/16" packing. CC / Nautique did not go to the 1/4" packing until sometime after the year 2001 or 2002.

JQ

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

^^dangerous assumption right there. Have seen little consistency on packing sizes. Best to measure the gland or old packing, or order both sizes if unsure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2019 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris,
As it's been mentioned, it's best to measure what size is needed.

Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Originally posted by bfootr bfootr wrote:

HI - I'm getting ready to pack the shaft of my 89 SN. Did you end up using the 3/16" or 1/4" size? Thanks.

It is likely that you need 3/16" packing. CC / Nautique did not go to the 1/4" packing until sometime after the year 2001 or 2002.

JQ

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

^^dangerous assumption right there. Have seen little consistency on packing sizes. Best to measure the gland or old packing, or order both sizes if unsure.

Buy both sizes, don't be cheap

For what the stuff costs, if you buy both ahead of time, you'll have the right size on hand when you do the job and life will be easier.

Even the GFO stuff won't break the bank.
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2019 at 3:43pm
Ordered both sizes from ebay, under $20 each for 24" length including shipping. Pete's suggestion of McMaster-Carr is indeed cheap, if I needed five feet.

If anyone else in New England needs packing I'll have some extra of both sizes.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2019 at 8:39pm
I received some 3/16" that I ordered today and will try installing tomorrow.
I received some information from someone on PN that was also having a heating issue with GFO in a newer (2006) .He contacted NP about the packing and parts he installed and was told the following.
"They stand by the GoreTex and their tech person said what I am experiencing can be rather common. He mentioned that the GoreTex will run hotter, and often is too hot to touch. He insisted this does not harm the shaft."
I used to adjust my 84 2001 to 6 to 10 drips per minute every year and kept a close eye on it, but I don't ever remember checking it to see if it got hot after a 30 MPH run for several minutes.
Is it normal for the stuffing box to get hot to the touch? Does it seem right (common) that the GFO should run hotter???? Maybe I'm making to much out of this!
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2019 at 8:15pm
Today I removed the GFO packing from the stuffing box and installed some 3/16" Flax type cause that is what I could get fast. Put in three layers and spent some time tightening and testing and got it to about 6 to 10 drips per minute after several runs. At no time did the stuffing box get even warm when running for 2-3 minutes at 35MPH.
Much happier with this result than previous. My plan is to run this for a while this summer and maybe try some 3/16 GFO in the future.
I also measured things with a Micrometer after I removed the GFO packing. this is why I originally ordered 1/4" GFO.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2019 at 10:27pm
I had the exact problem when I installed my new packing, I overtightened in the garage, I thought I left it loose enough but I was not able to get it to drip and you can't run it dry so I had to pull it all out and start over. Bummer but sometimes we learn the hard way.
It has been perfect since and this is now the 5th year since install with no other adjustments. Drip running was in the 6-10 range if I remember correctly.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2019 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Mpost Mpost wrote:

I received some information from someone on PN that was also having a heating issue with GFO in a newer (2006) .He contacted NP about the packing and parts he installed and was told the following.
"They stand by the GoreTex and their tech person said what I am experiencing can be rather common. He mentioned that the GoreTex will run hotter, and often is too hot to touch. He insisted this does not harm the shaft."

I'm really not understanding why they feel the GFO runs hotter I've used it on several shaft glands and even LOTS more on pump stuffing boxes through the years. As I mentioned, I feel the problem is overtightening. It's takes very little pressure to expand the GFO for a very good seal.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 11:45pm
Until this post came up I was under the impression that the goal was not to have any drips from the gland. Knowing that mine was indeed drip free I figured it prudent to unpack the gland and start fresh. Good thing too because when I installed my first new shaft & gland a couple years ago I had bought new GFO for the new gland. Assuming that this is what was used when that crazy MC dealership "repaired" my boat, I didn't double check this when I had to subsequently fix all their mistakes.   Naturally they installed new, but flax not GFO.        so ordered the good stuff tonight.   Just another example of how reading all the traffic on this site can help you even when it doesn't seem to pertain to you   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic