Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rub rail replacement -- insert insertion?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rub rail replacement -- insert insertion?
    Posted: June-17-2019 at 3:01am
Since finally closing the book on that pesky rolling idle issue I decided it was time to get started on the installation of the new rub rail purchased all :those months ago.
Gotta say it sure puts a smile on the face to be able to transform from this:

To this:

But my question for the group is how the heck does a guy get the insert inserted??
I've googled, read and watched videos and tried much of what was suggested but thus far without success.   Is there a special trick to this I have yet to discover or is this just as much of a pain for everyone ....   Suggestions?

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2019 at 8:22am
"Bake" the boat in the Hot sun for a couple of hours and the rubber will be a lot more pliable to get the insert in, I've seen guys use a piece of bent copper tubing the same diameter to help pry the rubber apart to insert the trim. Soapy water might help a little bit to along with a little love from a soft rubber mallet.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2019 at 9:54pm
Well, there's a thought - heat both. Now all I need is a nice hot day ... without the thunderstorms and rain.   Funny, the old insert came out FAR easier than it seems to want to go in   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2019 at 1:43am
A hot day will really help, more than you might imagine. And yes, it is easier to take it out than it is to put a new one back in.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2019 at 9:30pm
Well no sun here ... In fact late this afternoon we had quite a storm, complete with 2 inch hail and a ton of yet more rain.   On the bright side I'll get those few little dings on my truck taken care of now    

Anyway, after getting home and surveying the damage I decided to immerse myself in the rub rail and indeed heating both was what was needed, getting half the starboard side done before stopping for dinner.   I'll easily get the rest done afterward so thanks for the input guys!   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 6:33pm
Vaseline will make this job a breeze, Throw on the some gloves, smear vasoline down the upper and lower ridge of the rub rail. It will slide in like better. Use plastic trim tools to keep everything on track.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunplustrade-Molding-Upholstery-Fastener-Removal/dp/B01M3SP84D/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=trim+tools&qid=1561581193&s=gateway&sr=8-7
1999 Longhorn Nautique
1995 Nautique Super Sport
https://www.instagram.com/longhorn_nautique/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic