NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Thru Hulls

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SN1648 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN1648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Thru Hulls
    Posted: June-17-2019 at 8:19am
I have a pair of original correct craft two piece exhaust thru hulls from my 1969 Ski Nautique 3” . 150$ or best offer shipped
SN1648 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN1648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2019 at 8:21am
80$
motoRovr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoRovr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2019 at 6:59pm
if these are still available, can i get a picture?
rebuilding a 79. was originally just a refresher, till i discovered how bad the stringers were...
'79 Ski Nautique
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2019 at 7:07pm
Yes pics please
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2019 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by SN1648 SN1648 wrote:

I have a pair of original correct craft two piece exhaust thru hulls from my 1969 Ski Nautique 3” .

Originally posted by motoRovr motoRovr wrote:

if these are still available, can i get a picture?

Roman,
Understand these are the old style 2 piece thru hulls. This was back when the copper exhaust tubes were run directly through the transom. Then the "thru hulls" were trim rings with rope packing behind them sealing the tubes to the transom.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
motoRovr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoRovr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2019 at 7:48pm
actually just saw an old listing for old copper exhaust tubes...
my fiberglass should be salvageable but if im doing all this work on stringers, it might as well sound good.
'79 Ski Nautique
SN1648 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN1648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2019 at 10:33am
These were fiberglassed in and the trim rings were screwed to transom. It was rubber hose from Manifolds back to these. I am going with copper pipes this time to one piece thru hulls. Shoot me your email and i will send you pictures if still interested.
SN1648 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN1648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2019 at 10:39am
If someone would make it easy to share pictures through a phone i would have already posted pictures. I apologize, . My email is sledneck175@icloud.com
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2019 at 11:31am
This is what a typical Correct Craft 2 piece exhaust trim ring is like. This example is on my Mustang. In this case a short section of approx 1 foot of stainless pipe is mounted thru the transom and this trim ring mounts on the transom of the boat providing a finished look.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2019 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by SN1648 SN1648 wrote:

These were fiberglassed in and the trim rings were screwed to transom. It was rubber hose from Manifolds back to these. I am going with copper pipes this time to one piece thru hulls.

Zach,
Since you are going with copper exhaust tubes, why aren't you using the original trim rings?
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Understand these are the old style 2 piece thru hulls. This was back when the copper exhaust tubes were run directly through the transom. Then the "thru hulls" were trim rings with rope packing behind them sealing the tubes to the transom.

The design goes back to the days before rubber when the exhaust was hard piped from the engine all the way through the transom. The packing at the transom allows linear expansion of the tubing when they heat up. You can always spot the set up when you see copper sticking out the aft end.

BTW, unless someone was messing with your boat, the exhaust tubing was not glassed into the transom.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
motoRovr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoRovr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2019 at 1:50am
Thanks ya'll, i realize these won't be as easy to work into the system i have without some work.
'79 Ski Nautique
SN1648 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN1648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2019 at 4:14pm
SN1648 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN1648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2020 at 10:13am
I have seen this design more than once pop up with the tips glassed into transom. As you can see the tips were grooved to hold the resin/glass. I have bought bronze one piece 3” (Buck alghonquin) thru hulls that i will install with 5200 then use a short piece of rubber hose to attach the copper pipes to and then up to the manifolds. I know not being original hurts your feelings but having one piece thru hulls to me just makes more sense being hidden under a swim platform and under water all the time. The rest of the boat will Be original for the most part when she is done besides those two items and the stringers. This boat will be used as designed and not a trailer queen.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2020 at 12:24pm
Your boat do what you want. I have to say this though they did after all last all these years. They were not glassed in they were set in with caulk.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2020 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Your boat do what you want. I have to say this though they did after all last all these years. They were not glassed in they were set in with caulk.

I agree. Resin will not expand and contract as needed. I feel you will end up with a leak if you don't use something with some flex like 4200.. The original method when hard copper was used all the way from the engine through the transom was flax packing under the trim ring. It allowed the copper to move when it thermally expanded.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic