Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

72 Mustang Running Rough

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
onebigdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onebigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Mustang Running Rough
    Posted: June-17-2019 at 9:01pm

I recently took possession of a 1972 Mustang with a Chrysler Marine 200, that had been sitting in a garage for 25 years. It cleaned up nicely and I have now been trying to get it to run. After two weeks of ignition, starter, compression tinkering, etc., I now have it running. The water pump, alternator, ballast resistor, distributor all seem to be working. But, I cannot rev the engine higher than 2000 rpm. Is this a carburetor issue? I appreciate any thoughts.     
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2019 at 9:06pm
Sean,
If you have a timing light, get it hooked up and see if the mechanical advance is working. If you don't have one, take a look under the point plate and see if it's rusted up .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
onebigdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onebigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2019 at 9:09pm
There's a lot of rust under the points plate, but everything moves pretty freely. I guess I could hit it with some brake clean. If I swap those points for a Mallory HEI will the mechanical advance still play a part?
onebigdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onebigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2019 at 9:17pm
Cool Atom. We had a 60 hp Atom growing up. Crazy that it could easily pull skiers with such a high HP to weight ratio.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2019 at 9:43pm
Sean,
If you install one of the EI conversion kits, then yes the mechanical advance is still needed. Have you set the timing and dwell? Why are you thinking about the EI conversion?

Regarding the Atom 60 HP pulling skiers, you need to also think about the engine torque, how light the hull is plus the skiers being on two skis almost as wide as toboggans!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
onebigdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onebigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 9:39pm
Quick update. I had a starter issue and could not revive the original. I ordered a rebuilt one and it will be here tomorrow so I can dig into the timing a bit. I just assumed the timing was set as the boat had been sitting for 25 years. I hope that this is the main problem. I kept the original starter and will rebuild it in the off season if I can get the boat running. I am considering HEI for easier maintenance. Let me get it running first and then I will give it a little more thought.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by onebigdog onebigdog wrote:

Quick update. I had a starter issue and could not revive the original. I ordered a rebuilt one and it will be here tomorrow so I can dig into the timing a bit. .

Sean,
Many have made the wrong purchase with a starter with the wrong rotation. If the engine is the original I hope you understand it is a reverse rotation (opposite automotive).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
onebigdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onebigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2019 at 11:48pm
Ok. The new starter works really well and the engine fires up but will still only idles at about 1200 rpm. The dwell and timing seems okay, but I cannot rev the engine to check the advance timing because the mechanical secondaries on the carburetor are not pumping any fuel. Ignition module? Or screwed up carburetor? Any help is appreciated.
onebigdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onebigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2019 at 11:51pm
I did have problems getting the correct starter. I told the marina that I had a reverse rotation motor and they gave me a CCW starter. I told them it wasn't right and after going around with quite a few people, one of the counter guys looked and pointed out that the bendix teeth need to be angled on the side that works with a CW starter. I can't believe that most of the marina people missed that.
onebigdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onebigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 7:38pm
Update. The secondary throttle plates do not open at all, even when the throttle is fully engaged. From what I read, both sets of throttle plates should open with the throttle. The secondary intake is not going to ever open because the throttle plate isn't open. I cannot find any adjustment on the carburetor that will release the lock for the secondary throttle plates based on throttle position. Any ideas?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 8:48pm
It would probably be useful to know what kind of carburetor you're dealing with   

But you have other issues if it won't rev past 2000 rpm
onebigdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onebigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2019 at 12:15am

Here is the carburetor. I made a little more progress today. I started the motor and then held the choke open while I pushed the throttle all the way forward. This released the secondary throttle plate lever which I have shown in the picture.    The engine slowly crept up to 4000 rpm. A fair amount of smoke and some misfires, but better than 2000 rpm. I am going to look at the vacuum linkage pictures to see why the choke isn't actuating. The secondary throttle plates won't open unless the vacuum linkage releases the stop lever I have shown. Talked to a mopar guy and we are going to pressure the cylinders and verify compression. Small steps.    
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2019 at 7:46am

Here is the carburetor. I made a little more progress today. I started the motor and then held the choke open while I pushed the throttle all the way forward. This released the secondary throttle plate lever which I have shown in the picture.    The engine slowly crept up to 4000 rpm. A fair amount of smoke and some misfires, but better than 2000 rpm. I am going to look at the vacuum linkage pictures to see why the choke isn't actuating. The secondary throttle plates won't open unless the vacuum linkage releases the stop lever I have shown. Talked to a mopar guy and we are going to pressure the cylinders and verify compression. Small steps.    

It's a Carter AFB carburetor

The best thing you can do for that carburetor is click on the link and buy one of the manuals so you can have plenty of information on how it works instead of fiddlin' and guessing

"Super Tuning and Modifying Carter Carburetors" is a good one

link
onebigdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onebigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2019 at 10:25pm
Had about a 10 minute run today at 3000 rpm which is getting better. Still running rough. I sprayed a can of Sea Foam down the carburetor and am hoping that this might cook some of the carbon / rust off the valves / pistons. I'm beginning to think the carburetor is working but might have a low compression issue. I am going to pressure test the pistons. As a side note this has a Chrysler 273 in it, which have been practically the last Marine 200 installed in a boat as they went to the 318. Does anyone have the timing info for a Marine 200?
onebigdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onebigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 8:24pm
I think I am in business. I can't find a way to set the timing exactly but it seems to be running a lot better. https://youtu.be/J6vuxQYiyCQ
Thanks for your help!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 8:46pm

I think I am in business. I can't find a way to set the timing exactly but it seems to be running a lot better. https://youtu.be/J6vuxQYiyCQ
Thanks for your help!

Sean,
Great to hear that it's running better and per your video, you are making progress. Now as you mentioned, the next step will be on the lake.

Tell us about the issue you are having with setting the timing. I know we can help.

Also, here's a direct link to your video.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 10:11pm
Here's a manual for it's medium sized bigger brother the 318 in the link below. It's from the CCF reference section.

It's better than nothing at all   

Plenty of similarities and I wouldn't be afraid to use the timing numbers for the 318

link

onebigdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onebigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2019 at 8:37pm
Does anyone know how much a new Mustang would have cost in 1972?
searider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2019 at 7:13pm
Nice Mustang! Great to here you are making progress.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic