NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Considering Buying ’93 Sport Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering Buying ’93 Sport Nautique
    Posted: September-14-2006 at 12:46am
I am new here, my first post, been lurkng for a few days...

I have been looking for the right boat for my family (wife, daughter 9, twin boys 6).

A good friend of mine recently offered to sell me his '93 Sport Nautique for $5,000. We used to have a lot of good times on this boat. The last couple years my friend has neglected the boat a little but I still think this is a good deal given it is a CC.
He was an idiot and left it in the water last year (let his x-Girl friend and whoever use it)didn't get it out of the water until November put it in his garage, didn't winterize it. I havn't been on the boat or heard it run for a few years, and he told me he once overheated the engine a couple years back because the strainer was cloged blocking water flow.
I want to hear it run beore I buy it. He said the starter is bad so we pulled it off and he got a new one yesterday, put it on and said it was clicking when it tuned over. We put a new battery in the other day. as of today he thinks either the battery is dead or the paint on the new starter is preventing it from getting good contact with the engine block.

A couple of concerns:

-The hose around the shaft stuffing is twisted and twists when I turn the shaft. from reading here seems like I need to tighten the stuffing connection?

-the pa$$enger seat bottom needs re-upholstered.

- the trailer needs a new break line, hub covers, and the toung/break (what is this called?) is slightly bent after he lost a wheel on the highway

- needs cleaned, new speakers, has a couple dings and scratches from being docked last year.

- boat has 775 hours

Seems to be a lot of knowlegable people here, I want to get an idea of what I may be getting into.

I really hope we can get the engine started by this weekend, run it around the lake a few times.

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 12:55am
Randy, welcome to the forum. This is a great place you've found.

A lot of the things you mentioned are pretty inexpensive to fix. I wouldn't worry much about a few scratches, trailer, and upholstery.

What does the "hose" around your shaft look like? Are you talking about a corrugated hose or just the hose attached to the stuffing box and the hull? That's going to need to be fixed before putting the boat in the water. If it's the main hose around the shaft attached to the hull, that is a major issue, but not expensive. You just don't want it in the water with that shaft seal compromised. The packing has nothing to do with the hose. That's a different issue.

You're going to want to hear the boat run for sure. Even if you had something like warped heads (from the overheat--how hot did it get and how long was it hot?), for $5k, it's going to be hard to go wrong on this.

93 is the first year without wood in the construction, so you shouldn't have to worry about floor or stringer rot. That's good news. Your engine is your big concern. Frankly, you could almost completely repower it and still have a decent deal on that boat. Unless it's really beat up, that's a pretty good price if it runs at all.

Test drive it...and take it to the local marina and have the engine tested...compression and the usual. Good luck
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 6:55am
In good shape, with that many hours, I believe that boat would fetch between $13K to $15K. Not sure which engine is in the Sport. However, if you get this thing for $5K (or less!), and can avoid any real major engine work, I think you'll end up ahead of the game.
Sounds like the seller and the buyer would both make out. Seller doesnt want it, buyer gets it for low dollars, and puts some sweat equity into it. Lets see some pix....
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 7:08am
give him him the money, before he finds another buyer or he changes his mind. cc's are probably the easiest boats to sell even sight unseen, even if you had to put a brand new drive train in you would still be ahead. these guys on this site will help you through
"the things you own will start to own you"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 7:19am
Correct crafts 20 years older than that are selling for $5000, grap that thing and go have some fun. Even if you have to repower I think you coming out ahead.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 9:23am
Talk to Keith, he should be able to help you out.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 10:07am
Sounds like a deal if you are the type of person that can handle doing some of your own stuff. Not sure of your climate and the garage situation, but if it was not winterized you could have a cracked block/manifold etc to deal with. As for starting it...I would check all connections for corrosion... battery, solenoid, starter, etc. That may be the problem. Leaving a boat in the water all summer isnt the best way to take care of it, but that is not as bad as not winterizing it properly in freezing climates. If you get it running and it seems fine make sure you replace belts, hoses, water pump impeller, plugs, thermostat, oil (tranny and engine)etc.

If it was local, I would be on it. Dont tell too many folks about it or they may go and offer 6k!

ernest
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 11:35am
Thanks for the warm welcome all!

Dude- I think you're right, I have found a great place!

The rubber hose I am talking about is at the bottom of the drive shaft. It has four hose clamps on it there is a nut above it. when i turn the shaft by hand you can see the hose is twisting a little bit. just doesn't look quite right to me but I don't think it is a major problem.

The engine is a PCM 351 H.O. Ford. Engine looks good, no leaks, no rust. The plastic air filter cover is warped from the overheat, he said the temp gage was not working when it overheated. He has run it for a couple of years since the overheat without any problems so I think the engine should be fine as long as it starts. He did drain the water from the block/manifold before putting it in the garage and we had a real mild winter here last year. so I doubt any cracks in block or manifolds.

I think you guys are right. I should get to the bank after work and get him the $$$. although I really doubt he would sell it out from under me, we have been good friends for quite awhile. We used to have a lot of good times on this boat back in my single days... He needs the $$ and he knows I would still take him out skiing.

I am really anxious now to get this in my garage...

Thanks for all the input. I am looking forward to posting many more questions here when I start working on it this winter.

I will post some pics as soon as I get it!!

BTW - What are "stringers"? I am learning so many new words here.

Thanks in advance for all the help and input , much appreciated.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 11:42am
Your doing the right thing, buy it quick. If the engines shot you can sell it to one of us for at least what you paid for it, I know I am still looking for a project CC from the 90s and one from the 70s myself
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 6:24pm
The "stringer" is the frame that supports the floor of the boat (like a joist in a house). Pre '93 (I believe), stringers were made of wood and susceptible to rot. Post '93 were made of fabricated material.

Hey JoeinNY, how many boats you have? I thought I read in another post that you had more than a handfull!?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 8:24pm
I talked to my friend today, we are going to work on getting this started tomorrow afternoon. As I mentioned, he bought a new starter earlier this week and put it on and it clicks (sounds like a dead battery). We put a new battery in Sunday and tried to crank over the old starter and it made a loud sound but would not turn it over. When I looked at it the gear is able to be pulled out with a screwdriver and it turns in one direction but would not start the engine. He said he was having problems with it before putting the boat away. I am hoping it is just the fact that it is a new battery and has not had a chance to run and charge.

This boat has been sitting in his garage since last November. Before that it was in the water all summer. When I looked at the oil it was black but did not have any metal, water or anything else questionable (we have new HD30 oil to put in it once we get it going). The tranny oil looked ok but probably will need changed.

Can anyone think of any reason why this engine wouldn't start? Any precautions we should take in starting an engine that has been sitting this long?

If it doesn't start should I still buy it?

Any ideas about the twisted rubber hose on the drive shaft I mentioned earlier?

Thanks again for the help and encouragement. I should have this CC in my garage this weekend.

Stay tuned for pics...

jeffinohio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffinohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 9:22pm
Randy, what part of ohio are you from? I'm from the Cleveland area. Just bought a 92 ski nautique last september. You can get some great information and help form the people at Discount inboard marine. I would buy the boat. you'll enjoy fixing it up and will learn a world of information you would'nt otherwise. Also, DO NOT USE A AUTOMOTIVE STARTER. The carb, alternator and starter must all be marine grade. You could blow yourself up!. My boat just clicked when i tried to start it this season. It was the corroded battery connecton. you can't go wrong for $5000. Good luck.       
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 9:32pm
Jeff: What part of Cleveland? I lived there for 55 years. Just relocated to Central Florida after retiring a couple years ago. Grew up in Strongsville, lived in Parma annd Avon. Skiied on Sandusky Bay.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
jeffinohio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffinohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 9:58pm
jbear, i live in madison between ashtabula and painesville. grew up skiing on 2 foot waves in lake erie!. I pull the boat to Shenango lake in Hermitage Pa. It's a 70 mile drive but great water. Sunday there were 4 footers on lake erie. It was flat at Shenango. By the way, I bought my boat in Ft Myers Fl. Drove all the way down and pulled it all the way back.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 10:09pm
You are way East while we were way West. Musta been a cool trip all the way to Fort Myers. I love the drive between the 2 states. 'Course I love to be on the road.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 11:16pm
Randy,
usually the clicking sound is just bad connections if the battery and starter are all good. Throw a battery charger on if your not sure of the charge. Back up one step though and hand crank the engine over a revolution or two just to make sure everything is turning freely. Do this by placing a wrench on the front crank pulley. Some people will also pull the spark plugs and shoot a couple drops of miracle oil in each cylinder while doing above to protect the rings after sitting awhile. Once you are sure all is turning freely you can crank the starter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 12:58am
Jeff – I am from the Akron/Canton area. I’ve been though Madison a few times. Not too far away. Thanks for the advice, I wouldn’t want to blow myself up! I am going to Google Discount Marine find out where it’s at. Shenango sounds nice, going to check that out too.
He said he picked up the starter at a marina, so I’m going to a$$ume it is a marine starter. He said the surface that makes contact with the block was painted with thick paint and may not be allowing good electrical contact with the block. May need to sand it down. We replaced the cable ends Sunday along with the battery.

I took a wrench to the crank pully and was able to turn it. It was a little tough, but the spark plugs were in and I figured the compression made it kind of hard. How easy should it be to turn?
I am pretty good with mechanical stuff but I haven’t worked on engines in a while. I helped my dad rebuild a couple engines way back. But he is died five years ago, and I drive newer cars these days and, although I change my oil in my Tacoma myself, and do small repairs I prefer not to work on my cars anymore. I will learn quick, just going to have to ask some questions along the way.

Great78- pulling the spark plugs and spraying a little oil in sounds like a good idea , I think I read that here and was thinking about doing that.

I will follow up tomorrow and let everyone now how it goes, keep your fingers crossed...

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 10:14am
For 5K, yes you should buy it, running or not. The parts alone are worth more than 5K. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 1:17am
I got it!

Sitting next to my garage

The kids Are sooooo excited!

And, it fired up!. Didn't run it for more than a couple seconds didnt have water running but it started!
I think it is flooded, my friend was pouring gas in the carb and it started spraying out the top of the carb then the battery died.
Going to start working on it tomorrow, I would like to get it running take it out once this year and run all the old gas out.

Now the work begins... Going to the local marina in the morning...

I will try to get some pics up soon...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 8:51am
jeff, i see your also into motocross, ever go down to wellsville? Im from aurora and used to work out in mentor at Great lakes Power,probably know some of the same people
   eric in ohio
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 8:54am
Randy, how about you what town you from? were pretty close to, know a few guys at the cc dealers around town if you run into a snag
eric
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 9:11am
there you go again Eric, trying to help out a fellow boater in need,that does the soul good..baloon races are third week- end of oct.we end up in the mississippi river boating ,rafting lots old boats,your kids would love the baloons.good family fun....
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 1:05pm
Eric- I'm from the North Canton area. I'm not sure where I can get parts. I was in Boat Masters at Portage Lakes this morning, they said they could get me engine parts but that would be about it, I am going to need some misc. parts. Not too much really. Accy. buttons for the dash (got a couple broken ones) spedometer parts etc...

Please let me know. Thanks

what lakes can we find you on in the summer?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 1:12pm
Eric- So, your a transmission specialist, What type of oil do I put in the Transmission? they told me DextonIII at Boat Masters, How bout oil for engine My friend who sold it to me said he used straight 30 weight But I think I've read here to use 40weight I was not able to find 40 so I went with the 30. What do you think? What is the best way to pump the tranny oil out?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 7:20pm
I guess now vandaveer in akron, montrose area Dan is the service manager or mid-ohio in Streetsboro 330-626-9115 Chris, i just found out today at a boat auction that things are kinda up in the air with Correct Craft in this area.
Randy, what trans is in your boat? if it's a borg use dexron mercon, PCM 40 they switched all of them to dexron. the older ones took 20w, after rebuild we tag them to use dexron
on the engine oil ask these other guys, i like rotella 15w40 myself, oh yeah,to get the trans oil out.... i add a qaurt or 2 to dilute the oil and get trans to operating temp remove the oil line at the trans and start the engine and it will pump it for you...dont forget to turn off when done, try to get the oil out of the cooler also.it make take more than once to get the hang of this shortcut
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 7:35pm
oh, at the auction a 1998 2001 with 597 hours went for 5k the man that bought it was about 70 years old, I thought i could get it for around 4500.00, he was intent on buying it and probably would of went to $6000.00 easily.the boat was about a low 7 on my scale. the 70 year old that bought it said he had a 1963 in his basement(dont ask me how) but said it hasnt seen the water in 25 years.I know this guy didnt buy it to barefoot
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 9:04am
Did you mean an 1988 or 1989 "2001" because I'm slightly confused if otherwise? I'm guessing the blue hair meant he has one of those houses on an angle, where the back half has a walk out basement, probably half of that was garaged off.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 9:36am
1989 2001, it was in fair to good shape, they were trying to sell it for 7500.00 before the auction, I really screwed up, I won the bid for the props at 15.00 each and only took the ss props. some other guy took the other 30, should a could a would a.
   the man that bought the boat is a collecter and i told him about ccf, hopefully will see something from him. actually he is a good friend of Ron, former owner Ron's Marine here in our area. he use to sell 90 boat's a year(correct craft's) I had a check in my pocket, but he was intent on buying it. I need to contact someone at cc to see what exactly is going on in this area
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 4:37pm
As promised... Pics

like I said... it needs cleaned up.

you can see where the air filter cover got melted. need a new one of these.]

trailer needs work also...

this is the worse looking part, need to get this re upholstered...

I will post some after pics once I get her all cleaned up
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 4:43pm
no buyer's remorse on this one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic