Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 No Start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 No Start
    Posted: June-24-2019 at 5:32am
Hi all,

A bit of an issue has cropped up with my 2001 Super Air. This weekend the boat would not start. Got a single click from starter solenoid but no cranking. Fuel pumps priming as normal. No voltage at the solenoid on the starter. Battery reading 12.5. I stuck my hand in below the PA solenoid to make sure all wires were connected and then thought I would leave it until the morning as it was late Friday night.

Saturday morning the boat fires right up. I decide to unbolt the power assist solenoid and check the connections anyways. Connections seemed fine. I go to start the boat again and nothing after unbolting it from the mounting plate. No click and no fuel pumps priming? Turned the kill switch off and on and try again. This time the fuel pumps prime. I gave the solenoid a tap or two with the spanner and it fires up.

A friend has a solenoid in his garage. Old but unused. Yesterday I put it on and when starting I get nothing. No click but fuel pumps priming.

The VOM reads 12.4 at the red lead on the solenoid and around 11.9v at the purple ignition wire when the keypad is set to on. Pressing start does nothing and ignition voltage does not change.

Could this be a bad solenoid or perhaps a second issue with the ignition?

Apologies for the rambling text but I am in a rush and wanted to get this out there before I head away with work for a few days.

D

PS. I know very little about auto electrics!
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 9:17am
Just did a bit of digging. This could be the neutral safety switch or key pad? Assuming the other voltages are OK I need to check for voltage at the NSS on the gear box and then the red/yellow wire on the S terminal on the solenoid? At least that would rule it out.

If there is no voltage to the NSS that means keypad? I have looked at the diagram but I am struggling to see where red/yellow and keypad meet.

D.

2001 Super Air Nautique

2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2019 at 12:26pm
At my wits end.

Got another solenoid and still no joy. Getting voltage to the battery terminal and start terminal when ignition is pressed.

No click from the solenoid.

Any ideas anyone???

2001 Super Air Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2019 at 12:58pm
The base of the start relay is the ground source for the coil. Ohm between the relay base and the engine block to see if there's any resistance.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2019 at 2:36pm
Pictures, Pete always wants pictures.

Take a good close up picture of this relay you installed if Pete's ground check doesn't fix things

Are you sure you're hooked to the S terminal and not the I terminal by mistake ? If you're hooked to the I terminal the silence will be deafening
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2019 at 6:21am
Solved. I am an idiot. The solenoid was not mounted, hence no start!

So i am back in business. However, after a few starts the stater motor is remaining partially engaged. I pulled it off and the it the bit that shoots out is loose, like something has broken inside.

Its a public holiday here today so everywhere is closed.

At least we are running again.

Thanks all.

D.

2001 Super Air Nautique

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2019 at 7:33am
Originally posted by 2001SAN 2001SAN wrote:

Solved. I am an idiot. The solenoid was not mounted, hence no start!
D.

I'm not sure about the idiot part, but a picture of a dangling relay would have helped find this rather easily

Maybe a picture of the starter "bit that shoots out" would be helpful

2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2019 at 10:20am
Apologies. My technical vocab is poor! The pinion i believe. Photo can follow.

D.

2001 Super Air Nautique

2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2019 at 1:53pm
I took it apart and the yoke type thing (technical term) that holds the pinion back had popped off. Easy fixed.

Maybe i can get in the water now if the rain stops.

Thanks all.

D.

2001 Super Air Nautique

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2019 at 2:51pm
Good job   

The "yoke thing" moves the pinion outwards when the solenoid on the starter is energized on your Ford PMGR starter, take power away and it goes back to the pinion retracted position

Hope it stays in place, usually there's a reason they come off like excess wear.

2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 6:37am
Indeed. I have ordered a new one anyways. Is there a difference between regular starters and marine versions?

I used the part number on my current starter but think its a regular automotive type.

D.

2001 Super Air Nautique

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 7:44am
Originally posted by 2001SAN 2001SAN wrote:

Indeed. I have ordered a new one anyways. Is there a difference between regular starters and marine versions?

I used the part number on my current starter but think its a regular automotive type.

D.

Short answer ...........Yes
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 1:05pm
Fair enough.

Struggled to find something suitable over here but will search on!

2001 Super Air Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic