NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor Springs Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor Springs Advice
    Posted: June-30-2019 at 1:02pm
Hi Guys!

On my '87 Martinique w/ 351 Ford, I had an issue where it wouldn't run higher than 4000 RPM. After digging into it, I discovered that one of the distributor advance springs was broken, and the one remaining was very rusty. I am surprised the boat runs as well as it does even with the timing a bit screwy, but, I want to get it fixed right. The PO had set the idle timing at ~30 degrees BTDC. I knew I would find something interesting when I started digging in to it.

Can these springs be purchased at Autozone or O'Reilly's, or do I need to go go Skidim or another specialty supplier?   Also, is there a special number, or "strength" of spring to ask for? Are both springs identical or is one "lighter" than the other.

Thanks!
Dave

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2019 at 2:44pm
I was able to purchase advance springs at a local Speed Shop but that was several years ago.

The distributor mechanical advance should offer somewhere around 24 degrees advance. With an initial timing set at idle around 8-10 degrees this would give you a total of close to 34 degrees when fully advanced which should happen around 3,000 RPM with a very smooth introduction of timing as the RPM climbs from idle to 3,000.
If the initial timing really is set at -30 to make this engine run the advance mechanism was most likely rusted in one position and not working at all. Free it up, get it clean and lubricated and the new springs should have you good as new.
Mark
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2019 at 3:22pm
The quote below is from a post from a year or 2 ago

It tells what's a good spring to replace the small lighter one, which is most likely the one that's broke. It works in the clip down and the screwdown cap distributors.

The heavier one has oval shaped ends and was made that way and generally isn't the one that breaks

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Hi John

A while back I found a spring that works pretty well to replace your broken small spring.

Most hardware stores should have it.

It's a Hillman #119 spring.

See the picture below. It's a little different than the original but definitely better than a twisted stretched old one, or in your case none at a

In the same clip down distributor that you have it gave a pretty decent advance curve.when used in conjunction with your original big heavy spring.

It won't break the bank, it cost about a dollar, so it's worth a try. Buy a few in case you mess up a spring or two..

They're a general purpose spring so I figure the quality control isn't the highest because you can find them with the loops on each end parallel to each other or at around 90 degrees to each other. Get the ones that are parallel, you may have to weed through a bunch but it'll make life easier than having to put a little twist into it to make them parallel.

Some may call it a hack job, but it works and will keep your timing the way it should be.

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2019 at 3:24pm
Thanks Mark!

I think the PO had it set so there (~30 on initial timing) so it would run good at top end, but it still wouldn't go past 4000. I set the timing back down to 10, and when I got up to higher RPM's, the engine made a very strange noise, and it did not like what I had done to the timing. So, I just keep it to around 2000-3000, which is where I run most of the time anyway, and it runs fine.   

I did put the vacuum gauge on it, and the needle really jumps around quite a bit, and is not steady. Hopefully the with new springs, it will settle the vacuum reading down too.

I did hit the weights with PB Blaster, and they are free. Hopefully all will be good with new springs.

Appreciate the advice.

Dave
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2019 at 3:30pm
[QUOTE=KENO] The quote below is from a post from a year or 2 ago

It tells what's a good spring to replace the small lighter one, which is most likely the one that's broke. It works in the clip down and the screwdown cap distributors.

The heavier one has oval shaped ends and was made that way and generally isn't the one that breaks

[QUOTE=KENO] Hi John

Thanks Ken! If we get up to the lake today, I will stop by Ace and pick one up. Should be a good solution until I can get the permanent ones.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2019 at 3:38pm
When the little spring breaks, your timing which was probably properly set at about 10 degrees BTDC at idle, jumps up to about 30ish with the little spring having no ability to control the advance. Your total advance won't be much over that (maybe a few degrees) as the big spring starts to control the advance.

On your Prestolite the big spring isn't in the picture till around 4000 rpm (because of those oval shaped ends) not the 3000 mentioned above.

You won't find the original springs pretty much anywhere these days and you can't slap any old springs in there. In other words don't buy springs for an AC Delco distributor and expect good results.

The Hillman I mentioned works good and pretty closely duplicates the stock curve.

Fixing this really should have no effect on your top end rpms, it just gives you the stock curve with the same amount of total advance

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2019 at 9:17pm
Mark

I moved this quote to here from the thread you had it in because this is where you meant it to be

Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Ken, I think most builders today accept it is OK to bring in full timing earlier than they did in the past. Most bring in full timing at 2,800 to 3,300 today. I don't know of any still using the 4,000 RPM rule for max timing. I know it is in a fully loaded boat. I have not messed with my Fuel Injected GT40 but on my 78 351 and my 87 Maliby powered with a 350 I changed the curve to bring in full timing by 3,000. They ran good.
Engine builders are conservative in general, they do not want failures, but they are comfortable brining timing in earlier. I think Marine builders were even more conservative for good reason and held timing back to avoid detonation failures.
The old Corvette 327's used to bring in max at 4,000 + all the way to about 1967 but if the distributors are repaired today they bring it in by 3,000 + or - 300 RPM, I think it was an evolution of what you can get away with.

And now I'll say that you haven't had much experience lately with a marine Prestolite as they came from the factory which is what I gave him the info for. Your 78 had the clip down cap Prestolite from the factory which had a better curve than the later Screw down cap did.

It seems that Prestolite went the other direction and got more conservative in the mid to later 80's

I'm telling him what he'll find with his distributor, not what may or may not be the preferred settings that take a lot of effort to achieve on the Prestolites

Easy to say, hard to do

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 6:55am
Thanks Ken, I think the Marine guys stayed really conservative and your right it takes work to update it.
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 7:23pm
Hopping in on this discussion. While I was working through some low idle stalling issues (see other post) I looked at the distributor springs. The small one was pretty badly rusted and still connected up, but I'm looking to replace it. Found the link below with what looks like a possible replacement. I'm ok spending $28 if it actually works. Anyone know if these are drop-in replacements?

https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/springs-dist-351std-ho-elec

There is a forum discussion about using a Hillman #`119 spring, which is available on Bay for $9 plus shipping. Search for Extension Spring #119. I would rather use ones designed for the distributor.

Thanks
Andrew
Builder
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 8:25pm
Andrew......Interesting. My boat also was having low speed stalling and idling issues, and I was wondering if it was due to the timing issue.   My marina guy ordered some springs from NAPA. It will be interesting to see if they are actually Prestolite springs. I can't believe these little buggers are such a PIA to source!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by andrewmarani andrewmarani wrote:

Hopping in on this discussion. While I was working through some low idle stalling issues (see other post) I looked at the distributor springs. The small one was pretty badly rusted and still connected up, but I'm looking to replace it. Found the link below with what looks like a possible replacement. I'm ok spending $28 if it actually works. Anyone know if these are drop-in replacements?

https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/springs-dist-351std-ho-elec

There is a forum discussion about using a Hillman #`119 spring, which is available on Bay for $9 plus shipping. Search for Extension Spring #119. I would rather use ones designed for the distributor.

Thanks
Andrew

Andrew

As far as the Hillman #119 spring , I didn't look on Ebay to verify 9 bucks plus shipping, is that for one spring?

If so, you're a lousy shopper

Go back and read what the backyard hack who came up with that spring as a solution said.....................local hardware store and priced around a dollar and .........no shipping.

The springs from MC parts depot might work in your Prestolite, hopefully the picture is a generic file photo 'cause I figure the heavy one doesn't resemble what's in your distributor right now at all. Take a look at what you have in there and compare to the picture. They'll give you an advance curve but will it be the same?

You could call MC Parts Depot and see what they can tell you.

Spend the 30 or so and then splurge for the extra dollar or so on the Hillman #119 and you can compare them and write up your findings here.

What's your timing look like right now if you check it at every 500 rpm up to 4000 rpm?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 10:08pm
The ebay listing is for 10 springs, so not a horrible price, except I only need one... There is a local Ace hardware store that has a very large selection of small parts. They might have small springs but will one be labeled as a # 119? Maybe, maybe not. Total guessing game.

Sure, I'll spend $30 for an experiment for the good of the forum, worth it for all the problems i've solved here.

I did not check the timing up the acceleration range. I did check it Saturday at 1000 rpm and it's right on 10. I've checked the timing during previous seasons and it's alway been around 10. Is there a chart that tells me what is should be as I step up the RPMs?

I'm wondering if there is a simple measurement to compare springs of the same wire size and length? maybe hanging a couple of different weights on them and measuring the extension. I will spend a few minutes on the Net and see what's been posted.
Builder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 10:21pm
Nope, not spending $17 to ship two springs that I could mail for 75 cents. I will buy the #119 springs and see how they compare.
Builder
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 10:44pm
Hillman provides the cabinet with drawers to the hardware store usually.

The drawer that say 119 has the springs sometimes in a bag, sometimes loose.

The dimensions are shown earlier in this thread in a picture.

So.....not too much of a guessing game

If you don't check your advance curve and total advance with the present springs, how will you know if the MC Parts Depot springs give the same curve and total advance if they're not an exact duplicate of what you have?

You can have the same 10 degrees at 1000 and everything from there up could be different. I'd check it every 500 rpm starting at 600 or whatever your idle speed is, 1000,1500 and continuing up and write it down. You won't find any numbers or graphs from PCM showing the curve, but I might know a backyard hack who'd have some numbers to compare with yours

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 10:50pm

Nope, not spending $17 to ship two springs that I could mail for 75 cents. I will buy the #119 springs and see how they compare.

Probably a good move

I'd been using one of the Hillmans for about 300 hours before I decided it was time to post here about it.

Kinda like acceptance testing to be sure I was happy with it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 11:22pm
I did see the specs on the #119 and found the same info on-line. It has a weight rating of 10.18 lbs. Which might be the same spec as something called the "working load" or it might be the " initial tension".

If my current spring is still giving me the originally specified advance curb then I don't need to replace it. The problem is I don't know if it is. it's pretty rusted and I would expect that to change it's properties and by extension, the advance curve.

i'm probably diving too deep in the weeds, but. If someone with a small distributor spring in good shape can give me the following information I might be able to use a fairly complicated online spring calculator to figure out all the properties and see if they have a similar spring in stock. I would try it with mine, but it's all rusted up.

Need the following: Wire diameter, overall spring length including the hooks, outside diameter of the spring, number of full coils (not counting the half coils at the ends), And the amount of weight you have to hang from the spring to cause light to just start showing between the coils, in other words just when the spring starts to extend. I played around with the calculator some and I'm guessing that weight is between 5 and 10 lbs. A picture would be great as well.

Meanwhile I will pick up a #119 and install it to see what happens. Probably be a few weeks till I do, we've got plenty of skiing planned and I don't want to take the boat out of service.
Builder
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 11:35pm
If the springs are weak you will bring the timing in early which can cause performance issues, pinging and maybe detonation.   If the spring is rusted it is weak and your timing will come in early. If you have a Speed Shop locally they usually have a selection of springs to choose from. Summit Racing shows many available on line or check the hardware store selection. If the new spring is too strong it will delay your advance and make the engine sluggish.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2019 at 8:52am
[QUOTE=MrMcD]   If the spring is rusted it is weak and your timing will come in early. /QUOTE]

In that case every distributor spring out there is weak, since they all get rusty

And for Andrew, I really don't think the distributor has anything to do with your idle issue right now. You still have the same 1000 rpm timing you've had in other years.

I tend to think you're on the right track with carburetor idle adjustment and checking for vacuum leaks like mentioned in the other thread..

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2019 at 9:04am

i'm probably diving too deep in the weeds

I've been in those same weeds and that's how I eventually found the Hillman #119

I have quite a collection of springs for other brand distributors and none of those really came close to the original.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2019 at 10:29am
Ken knows his springs! He also knows a thing or two about the curves as he helped me get things back to normal on my 78 commander about a year ago. Thanks again btw!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2019 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You won't find any numbers or graphs from PCM showing the curve, but I might know a backyard hack who'd have some numbers to compare with yours

Speaking of numbers, for whoever cares, here's what I came up with for the PCM heavy spring and a Hillman #119 installed in a clip down cap distributor.

RPM            advance

500             0 plus initial

1000           4 plus initial

1500           12 plus initial

2000           16 plus initial

2500           18 plus initial

3000           22 plus initial

3500           24 plus initial

4000           24 plus initial won't go any higher because of the slot length in the advance plate (also referred to as the stop plate at times) limiting the advance.

Now these were with my tach which may read different than your tach and my eyeballs which aren't your eyeballs but they give you an idea of the timing curve with the springs mentioned above.

Some people may like it, some may not, but I think it's pretty good keeping in mind that with the heavy spring you don't reach full advance till about 3500 to 4000 rpm as it originally came from the factory.

The engine runs good with this setup

With the screw down cap the advance plate is different (shorter slots) and the max advance will be less if you start with the same initial timing.

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2019 at 5:33pm
Ken....I appreciate you posting those numbers, and your help on this situation. I stopped by a NAPA today just to see what the response would be when I asked for these springs. Pretty much the same as AZ or OR....ie....what year, what make, what model, what engine, etc, etc.

Stopped at ACE on the way home. Took me 30 seconds to locate the Hillman bin. There was good ole #119 just waiting for me (three actually), so I grabbed 'em @ $1.69/ea.

My marina guy said he got me some springs too from NAPA. It will be interesting to see what those are since NAPA had no clue when I asked. Well, it's nice to have options anyway. I may throw the timing light on it to see what kind of numbers I get.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2019 at 5:45pm
Compare the Napa springs to the # 119. Tell us how they compare in length (overall), number of full coils and diameter. If you have a spring fish weighing scale, pull just hard enough to cause the coils to open up slightly and tell us the weight for each spring.
Builder
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2019 at 10:53pm

Compare the Napa springs to the # 119. Tell us how they compare in length (overall), number of full coils and diameter. If you have a spring fish weighing scale, pull just hard enough to cause the coils to open up slightly and tell us the weight for each spring.

Umm..........you should do that yourself at least for the Hillman, you'll go bug eyed trying to count the full coils on the Hillman. and the scale should be for miniature goldfish or something like that
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2019 at 7:54pm
Initial Field Report: Mixed Results!

The Good: The NAPA spring for "my distributor" my marine guy got me did help the timing to work. The timing was advancing at higher RPM's like it was supposed to. Got close to the 25ish BTDC mark when revving at mid throttle, based on what I could guesstimate under bad conditions.

The Bad: Got everything buttoned up. Idle seemed fine. Gave it some gas to get underway, and it was running real rough (seemed like it was missing). Made sure all the plug wires were attached, and tried again. Same thing.

The Ugly: Trying to work on a boat in 90 deg. heat, 110% humidity, blistering sun, and 2'-3' swells.

The Springs: Top is the NAPA. Bottom is the Hillman #119. Only tried the NAPA today.

Anyone know why the boat would suddenly start to run very rough with a new spring in and the distributor advance "working"? I may have inadvertently changed the point gap, but, I think I had it very close. Maybe the condenser is bad?? But the distributor is "fixed" and it now runs rough. Go figure!?!

I'll need to keep tinkering with it to figure it out. May throw the Hillman spring on, and/or go back to no small spring at all and see what happens. It ran perfect with no spring.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2019 at 10:02pm
I think you may be right on the gap changing when you put things back together.

I also think at least from looking at the picture that the NAPA spring is longer and a lot beefier and will give a slow curve and won't let you get to full advance very easily

Could be that I'm still bug eyed from trying to count the number of coils in the Hillman spring
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2019 at 10:09pm
I’m sure you realize this can all be done on the trailer?
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2019 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I’m sure you realize this can all be done on the trailer?

I do realize that, but, I wanted to use it today and also see how it did on the water. Nothing like an in-water trial once "fixed". But, today's conditions were less than ideal for doing what I was doing, plus the wife was helping me. Next time.....the trailer!
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2019 at 1:25am
I was just reading my original CC manual that came with my boat. It say that the idle should be 600 rpm in gear. I have been setting my timing with the boat in neutral, and the rpms are probably closer to 900/1000. Should I be setting the timing with the boat in gear at 600 rpm?

Also, point gap spec is .018" (I had been using .017"....probably not a big deal), and the dwell spec is 29-32. The timing spec is 6 degrees, but, it seems like everyone is using 10, as am I.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2019 at 8:59am
If you look at page 9 of the manual in the link from the reference section here on CCF you'll find the timing spec for the screw down cap as 10 degrees and the clip down cap as 6 degrees.

Reading the notes, they limit you to 30 degrees total advance with those numbers.

They're different because the slots in the timing plate are different lengths.

The screw down distributors have a white nylon type plate with shorter slots.

That's probably what you have. being an 87

You'll also see a note on page 9 referring you to page 6 of the manual for timing instructions on 87 octane that say to reduce your settings by 4 degrees.

Everybody will start yelling now that those are ultra conservative numbers..............yell at PCM and Ford, not me, they came up with them    It probably was to cut down on warranty claims while still getting OK ish performance

Myself, I'd set it at 10 and check total timing.to be about 30 with the Hillman spring and the heavy spring installed.and tweak things from there if you want to.

Note that they say 30 degrees max at 4400 rpm.

Depending on your prop, you may never see 4400 rpm

As far as your timing question, setting timing in neutral is perfectly fine but the idle could be lower like around 650 to 700 rpm , which when you put things in gear will drop the idle down to 600 or so if the carburetor is adjusted right.

link
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic