NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3rd starter issue: Sport 98 GT40 EFI

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3rd starter issue: Sport 98 GT40 EFI
    Posted: June-30-2019 at 8:42pm
So last year it was the fuel pump relay...this year most likely the solonoid...

The boat has been starting great for a few days, just barely turning the starter and the boat is running!

Then after one person was finished tubing, we shut down for another to wakeboard and when we hit the key all we get is terrible sounding grinding!

I pulled the starter again. The starter teeth/pinion gear teeth obviously are ground down some and the casing around the shaft is damaged (photo).   We inspected the crankshaft/flywheel ring gear and it looks fine.

Any ideas?
CYS
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2019 at 9:31pm
There's a bushing at the very end of the nose piece that may be worn. Some have a needle bearing instead of a bushing but they wear out too.

That lets the shaft move radially when it shouldn't (when the gears are trying to mesh) and leads to grinding like you describe.

You can buy a new bushing and replace the old one

Or it could be corrosion on the shaft which prevented the pinion gear from fully extending outward on the shaft

Since you didn't say anything about loose mounting bolts letting the starter move around, we'll assume that wasn't the problem .

Myself, I'd say 3 strikes,,,,,,,you're outta there, buy a new starter like mentioned in your other thread and then take this one and let the kid tear into it, do some learning and maybe you'll have a decent spare. with a little work and some parts

Those spare parts come in handy at times like this
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2019 at 9:38pm
KENO new starter will be bought. Loose bolts? Well, that was the first thing Pax and I checked and they were soundly tight. Ha! Here we go.

It was interesting though how the boat started after replacing that solonoid. I have never had a boat start as quick as that thing was firing up before the grinding episode!

CYS
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2019 at 9:44pm
Normal CCW rotation GT40 engine, use an Arco 70200 CW rotating starter or anything that cross references to that.

Here's a link to make sure you get the correct rotation starter in case you're confused

link
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2019 at 9:55pm
Pax can have some fun with the old one.

The hardest part of reassembly is putting the brushes over the commutator .

You can find write ups with pictures on the internet
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2019 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by rakerdeal rakerdeal wrote:

It was interesting though how the boat started after replacing that solonoid. I have never had a boat start as quick as that thing was firing up before the grinding episode!

Charles,
I'd say the old start relay had some burnt contacts that didn't allow the full voltage to get to the starter. Bad contacts can be caused by several things but what's common is bad cable connections at the battery, bad and or undersized cables, a bad and or low charged battery or even a deep cycle battery. Many times the contacts in the relay will actually weld together keeping power running to the starter.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2019 at 1:50am
Originally posted by rakerdeal rakerdeal wrote:

The boat has been starting great for a few days, just barely turning the starter and the boat is running!

Then after one person was finished tubing, we shut down for another to wakeboard and when we hit the key all we get is terrible sounding grinding!

The boat, engine and starter were protesting TUBING. My boat is allergic to tubes and simply refuses to leave the marina with a tube on board. Just saying....
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic