NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Towing too fast

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing too fast
    Posted: September-14-2006 at 7:06pm
Yesterday, I followed some guy down I 80 in Indiana. He was pulling a newer Ski Nautique on a single axle Prestige trailer with a new Expedition. I was having a hard time staying with him at 85. The Nautique was fishtailing all over the lane. Coming back from Green Lake over the summer, I touched 81-82 a couple of times outside of Chicago, and the trailer never fishtailed. Don't you think 90 (which he had to be going at times) is a little excessive with boat in tow? I try to stay at about 71-72 with mine on the interstate, but I have a tandem, so it doesn't bounce around at all. How fast do you guys normally tow? Just curious.

(Bet that Expedition was getting GREAT gas mileage!)

Rob
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 7:13pm
I have a single axle trailer (19.5' Eliminator). I tow my boat all the time. I don't feel comfortable going over 70. I usually keep the cruise at about 67. My trailer tracks real well at 70, but if I get up past 75 or so it starts to get a little squirelly.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 7:24pm
What's important is the tongue weight. Too much is bad and not enough is bad. With too much tail weight, you hit a bump in the road, the load starts bouncing which picks up on the back axel of your vehicle and causes you to fish tail. I never go over 60 or 65, there's too many idots out there. But mine isn't on the road that much,I usually take it to the lake, leave it all summer, and bring it home at the end, unless a huricane is coming.
Tim D
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 7:41pm
Right at 65 for me. It's amazing how people drive even after basically doubling the weight of their vehicle- still tailgating, speeding, etc. My trailer is always very steady and smooth but I drive as conservatively as possible anyway. Most of the people I see outragously speeding are the wallies with the overloaded Sea Ray with the cuddy cabin and tubes, flapping/billowing cover, etc. on the way up north every year.
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 8:02pm
What boat? Where?
that is exactly why when someboby says "can I pull this boat with my toyota POS?" you have to remember how alot of people drive. Just like that guy. I'm sure he wasn't a CCF but there are probably more of them than there are of us- vent over!
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 8:05pm
I tow at 70- 72 with my tandem with no problems. Please do not use the cruise control in the rain. If tires lose traction, the cruise will keep them spinning and make it worse.
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 8:18pm
Hell yeh that's too fast - had to be a kid driving. Anyone who has ever had a trailer get away from them will know better - a trailer can pull you right into a ditch or a lane of oncoming traffic and when it happens there is nothing you can do about it except hang on. BTW, the age of the driver is directly related to the distance between him and the vehicle in front of him.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 9:40pm
When we went to Green Lake I took the 2 lane all the way up because I was a little leery of driveing to fast . On the way back we got on 151 and cruised at about 63mph . Usualy I only go a mile to the river and back . Ive had the boat for 12 years and had to finaly title and license the trailer just to get to GL.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 9:51pm
Thats the first J_I_H post I have seen in months. WELCOME back Jim. We missed ya!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 10:20pm
it's not the speed that gets you it's the traffic and sudden stops that do. Anytime the trailer starts to fishtail your going to fast and should slow down. If the trailer is loaded right and there isn't any traffic on the road hammer down just give yourself plenty of time to stop. Hell when I towed the 81 hull and trailer back from corey's in texas I hit 80+ but the road was empty because it was late at night and the load was lite because the boat was striped down and had no interior or motor and it didn't fishtail even with the axil being off center an inch or so.
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 10:24pm
I think something else to remember is these are trailer tires or you SHOULD have them. If you have just a radial tire on your trailer, you will have sway problems. The sidewalls are 2 ply with standard tires or LT tires may have 4 at best. These tires are not speed rated either. That guy was absolutely stupid. I would love to see the yardsale if he would have blown a tire at that speed. Probably didn't have them inflated at max either.

Now I am very anal and tow a bunch other than my boat. I have a heavy flatbed and have load range E for safety. On my boat trailer I have load range D and they are balanced perfectly.

Now I do tow at 70 mph. Never thought twice because I know my equipment. Now if I see a putz driving like that around me I get back in a safer speed becaue my trailer brakes don't work.

Back to safety though. If you have the proper trailer tires in good condition and your weight is distributed properly and have a good tow vehicle.....70 shouldn't be any problem. Anything over that is a little bit crazy. Heck, I don't drive my sports car much faster than 75 on short blasts and I have speed rated tires.

Just my .02
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 11:05pm
I agree that having your trailor in top shape is the key.And braking distance is what you need to keep in mind.

If you string line your trailer and get it very square,load it properly I could pull a 79 Sn or a sanger vdrive pretty well with my brothers old CJ7.But stopping was at best a really planned out deal

Good luck Munday
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 11:26pm
I am with 79 on this.On the way back from Texas with the 87 we stretched the limit more than once.No one on the road but us at 3 AM.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

Hell yeh that's too fast - had to be a kid driving. Anyone who has ever had a trailer get away from them will know better - a trailer can pull you right into a ditch or a lane of oncoming traffic and when it happens there is nothing you can do about it except hang on. BTW, the age of the driver is directly related to the distance between him and the vehicle in front of him.

I beg to differ. My old man is an awful tailgater. I think those of his generation tend to be the worst tailgaters in general based on driving with him and my parent's friends (50 or so years of age). Sorry guys.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 12:33am
I only drive fast in reverse however I do know to slow down when I pa$$ the boat.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 2:44am
65 (70 max.)..just to save a little time to get there faster does not appeal to me....I just want to get there!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 8:51am
65-70 max, cruise is usually on at 63 or so. If I set the cruise at 55 I can't use the overdrive cause it keeps downshifting . With the cruise on 63-65 I can run in overdrive without any downshifting and I cruise pretty comfortably, I tow with a Jeep Liberty.

I think anything over 70 is asking for trouble expecially on some of these older boats that have trailers without brakes like mine, you really need to be driving heads up because stopping these suckers in a hurry can get your attention pretty quick.

Ps, When I tow with the motorhome it's 60 max. You should try stopping that thing in a hurry when towing a trailer without brakes, that will really get your attention.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 9:05am
I do about 10 from the garage to the ramp... The only fish tailing going on is me just getting into the truck after a few Captain-n-cokes... Oh wait, this is for another thread.. Yes 65, that sounds right....

Hell, I've pulled that 26 footer home from GL a few times. It's over 50 feet of moving thunder with the truck in front.. Trying to stop that thing in an emergency is pure trouble !! Even for the Suburban ... Like 62', just go slower, no big deal.. a lot less stress when you get to the ramp or whatever..

Moj'
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 9:14am
When I purchased my '93SN and pulled her home from California, I found that the most comfortable speed was 65-70 mph maximum pulling with my '02 Suburban. Tandem axle trailer (brakes did not work, but do now).

Above 70 mph, the Suburban would hunt in and out of overdrive on the slightest grade which was annoying. Of course, I could have used the tow feature on the Suburban, but all it really does is keep the transmission out of overdrive which effects fuel economy. So, I believe I set the cruise at 68 mph the entire trip home without incident.

I was lucky. I had no idea the condition of the trailer and upon rebuilding it some months later, discovered that the tires (automotive) were shot (in fact lost a tread pulling the empty trailer from storage yard to home). And the brakes sure do make a world of difference when trying to stop from any speed. With brakes, you can almost drive as if the trailer were not even back there.

So, my take on this is only drive as fast as you are comfortable AND what the equipment can handle. I really do not think there is speed that "works" for every trailer and every driver. Just know your quipment and drive/pull accordingly. Most importantly, be safe and get there in one piece.
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 10:09am
On Friday's I haul a$$ to the lake......on Sunday's I take my time and cruise home.
Life is Good.
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 10:40am
I would say the important thing is to keep your gear in good condition and go the speed of the traffic in the slow lane. Going to slow can also be a problem with rear enders.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 11:00am
I tow my '86 with a 3.0 Litre Ranger...doubt I could hit 70 going down hill.
Trailering to Milton this past summer for NE reunion was the furthest I've gone since picking up the boat in CT.
-Brad
JHadji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHadji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 12:44pm
I've seen the aftermath of a few U-Haulers losing it in a fishtail. Pulls the car out too. If you don't kill yourself, the kids or the guy next to you, you've at least killed the boat and the car.

It just doesn't seem worth the extra 20 minutes gained. It doesn't even seem worth the extra $20 bucks spent on gas to go 80 or 90 mph.

Alas, some guys have more guts or money than brains.
1988SkiNautique2001
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 7:01pm
I, too, have seen the aftermath of a uhaul casualty and it was not pretty.

Just last weekend I watched a guy lose his 25' Boston Whaler going down hill on a slight turn at about 60 mph. The boat began to fish tail and he tried to slow down and lost it. (should have given it gas to pull the boat, intead of the boat pulling him) The boat and trailer popped right off the ball when it turned over, rolled 2 or 3 times and came to rest upside down in the dirt. Luckily it was a sunday A.M. and very little traffic. Good news is that the Whaler will still float!

1985 Ski

1984 SW
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 7:21pm
Those whaler's are about the strongest boat made, guess that's why there so expensive for the size.
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 7:39pm
That's right. My 17' whaler is 20 years old with the 4th engine on it (its down in the salt water of Pensacola, FL). That thing will last a lifetime. My '78 nautique cost less than I would have to pay for a same-age '17 whaler and I've had to do no work on my nautique! (other than the electrical problem that I'm trying to figure out)

1985 Ski

1984 SW
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 9:30pm
sorry guys you may think I am nuts but halling the 87 BFN behind a 2005 F-350 and a single axle trailer, as long as the road is empty the hammer is down running 80-85. If there is traffic 75 at best not worried about me or my equipment I know it is loaded propperly it's all those other that scare me
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 10:10pm
   I will haul the sleds 80-85 mph no problem in good conditions.When your headed 6 hours to go riding,you gotta get there as fast as you can.However,I will not tow my boat over the speed limit.Don't know why,just not comfortable doing it I guess.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

I will haul the sleds 80-85 mph no problem in good conditions.

How hot do those bearings get with those "lawnmower" wheels on those trailers?
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

I will haul the sleds 80-85 mph no problem in good conditions.

How hot do those bearings get with those "lawnmower" wheels on those trailers?

You'd be surprised what they'll handle,but a wise man greases them at every gas stop on a long trip.Once they fail,you can't tell how hot they get,'cause they're gone....usually along with the wheel.   

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic