Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tranny slipping

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brettmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tranny slipping
    Posted: July-06-2019 at 10:41am
We had the 88 Dominique out on Lake Erie on the 4th. She runs good,but the tranny seemed to slip a few times coming up on plane. Only for a second, then regains pick up. Fluid levels good etc. Advice???
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2019 at 10:53am
Brett,
Add a small amount of oil and see if it still slips.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2019 at 12:45pm
Getting on plane is the highest load on the transmission so if it's gonna slip, that's when it will happen first especially with a heavy load when it's bow high.

At this point, don't be afraid to overfill it a little to be sure the pump isn't losing suction.

An extra 8 ounces or so would be OK.

You could change the fluid too if what's in there is really old, ugly looking or burnt smelling,

On the other hand, it might be the beginning of the end
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 11:51am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Getting on plane is the highest load on the transmission so if it's gonna slip, that's when it will happen first especially with a heavy load when it's bow high.

At this point, don't be afraid to overfill it a little to be sure the pump isn't losing suction.

An extra 8 ounces or so would be OK.

You could change the fluid too if what's in there is really old, ugly looking or burnt smelling,

On the other hand, it might be the beginning of the end

Ken—do any of those “friction modifier” additives intended for use in limited slip differentials work? I’ve never tried them and know nothing about them. I wonder if there’s any point if the friction material is gone south anyways.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 12:29pm
Peter,
My understanding is the additive is for the "slip/grab/chatter" that some limited slip differentials experience. It reduces the friction so it would be the opposite of what's needed in our wet clutch marine Trans's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 10:23pm
Yeah after I posted I went back and looked up what those modifiers do. Apparently anything that would increase friction would destroy the pump. Slipping is usually a plain old indicator of the inevitable rebuild.

I had reverse go out on a Velvet Drive. No doubt about that!
brettmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 10:54am
Finally able to get on the water, topped up the tranny and was able to do hole shots without incident. Thanks all for the help.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by brettmac brettmac wrote:

Finally able to get on the water, topped up the tranny and was able to do hole shots without incident. Thanks all for the help.

Nice cheap and easy fix

Hope it stays OK and check for leaks .

A few slips don't necessarily mean the transmission is shot, maybe a little less healthy than it was, but if it continues to be good, don't worry about it and keep it full.
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 9:28pm
I strongly advise against putting any sort of additive in the trans. Transmissions don’t just slip for no reason. It may be working “ok”now but your facing the inevitable rebuild sooner then later just be careful cause you don’t wanna do more damage to it trying to make it work. We rebuild transmissions on a daily basis and frequently see excessive damage due to trying to remedy a slipping trans. We are always here to help you guys out In anyway day or night and if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to call               330-273-8291
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 2:46pm
FFImarine....so what's it cost to get a Trans rebuilt these days? Mine is just fine, but as with everything, one of these years..It'll most likely need one. My boat is a 93 SN, with the 351HO engine..and the 1:1 trans.   My engine has just under 2300 h0urs, and purrs like a kitten, as I keep very good care of her. However, just like the Trans, at some point and time, I'll probably tear down the top end, just to do a top end job as well.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 7:47pm
Depends on what you have. PCM 40 series are $1,400, borg warner 1:1 are $900 and borg Warner 1.52:1 and up are $1,000 for a basic rebuild. We also offer upgraded clutch kits for the borg Warner’s for an additional $200 which consist of either borg Warner green clutches or alto red eagle clutches both with Kolene steels . We have had good success holding up to 500hp on a standard 71c with the upgrade. All of our rebuilds come with a 1 year unlimited hour warranty. Anymore questions please give us a call anytime @ 330-273-8291
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by FFImarine FFImarine wrote:

Depends on what you have. PCM 40 series are $1,400, borg warner 1:1 are $900 and borg Warner 1.52:1 and up are $1,000 for a basic rebuild. We also offer upgraded clutch kits for the borg Warner’s for an additional $200 which consist of either borg Warner green clutches or alto red eagle clutches both with Kolene steels . We have had good success holding up to 500hp on a standard 71c with the upgrade. All of our rebuilds come with a 1 year unlimited hour warranty. Anymore questions please give us a call anytime @ 330-273-8291

Maybe an explanation of what Kolene steels are would be a good thing right about now
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 8:48pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 9:04pm
So Pete

It looks like you've finally come to accept that the wet clutches in a marine transmission and the wet clutches in an automotive transmission operate basically the same way.

It would have been nice of Joe to tell a little about them instead of just throwing the words out there with no description.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 9:08pm

So Pete
It looks like you've finally come to accept that the wet clutches in a marine transmission and the wet clutches in an automotive transmission operate basically the same way.

I said they work differently? It must be a miss understanding.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 9:15pm
Now I have to go dig up that old thread.

Be back in a bit with a link
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 9:18pm
I have to admit, I was pretty fast with that link

First post on page 2 says it all

link

Here are your words

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Too slippery for a wet clutch transmission is what I had been told (2nd hand from PCM).

Correct. The automatic in your car or truck is not a wet clutch.
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 9:48pm
Alto red eagle friction plate lining has a unique dual saturation which imparts high frictional properties and high heat resistance.. kolene steel plates is a salt bath nitriding process. In generic terms, it is a thermochemical diffusion process, whereby ferrous parts are processed in molten salt with a specific nitrogen potential. In plain English, it provides a surface treatment that enhances wear and fatigue resistance from 200% to 500% which offers higher heat resistant and increased lubricity.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 10:31pm
Either you use lots of big words or this was a cut and paste from Alto or Raybestos
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 10:38pm

Either you use lots of big words or this was a cut and paste from Alto or Raybestos

Those are direct quotes from the alto website. All I know is red friction plates and kolene steel plates = more holding power
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic