Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New owner here - 1984 Ski Nautique 454

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New owner here - 1984 Ski Nautique 454
    Posted: July-08-2019 at 4:43pm
Hey everyone just picked up my first correct craft, 84 ski Nautique 2001. The rear has the lettering super beast and appears original, doesn’t say competition ski craft like others. It has an original 454 with what appears to be the H.O. The first three letters of the model on the block is PLN. Is this some kind of rare super beast model?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 5:04pm
Whereabouts in MA?

Gottaski?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 5:08pm
I'm just outside of Worcester, have a knee board haven't gotten into skiing just yet though

I have some work to do on the boat before its water ready. Fixing the neutral safety thats rusted and locked (stuck in gear now), replacing the water pump impeller to be safe, and doing an oil change plus all filters.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 5:31pm
Where did the boat come from?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 5:32pm
Actually western Connecticut
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 5:44pm
Oh yes! Super Beast. Ivory and three stripe rust/brown. Tall pylon. No mufflers last we knew. Hopefully its not too badly molested.

I spent lots of mornings in and behind super beast thanks to a great set of men gracious enough to teach me barefoot for years, and long after they moved onto other boats. good times.

Unless its been replaced, that's not your father's 454. Not as stout at Tim's BNF but it was a 55+/- mph machine i recall,

Its probably been passed around like a pool toy since being meticulously maintained for a good spell. Who knows how many owners by now

but hopefully its under good new stewardship

That engine should still be the LH Rotation rectangle port 425+HP.
Don't shoot your eye out! The boat should be respected and can spank you if your try going 40+ in mixed up water and wakes, or many aboard.

That boat's original build was not for the general public to purchase but for select people in the club of responsible enthusiasts

And recall it didn't like champion plugs, best give it AC.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Crmaverick Crmaverick wrote:

huh...
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 5:49pm
Pictures sure are required!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 5:51pm

I think i recall It had 1 prior owner before it was run in Webster, and already said super beast i think as they found it. Super Beast was less of a sleeper than its sisters that kept a lower profile both sight and sound.

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

huh...

That's an awesome history thanks for the info. I actually bought this off the second owner who told me the boat came from CT, I'm not sure on the exact area but I'm guessing West/Central CT.

The motor is original apparently, his family bought it in the 80's from the original owner, the motor was just maintained from then and has 850 hours. Did you know the original owner?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 6:05pm
Yes, i know a prior owner that had it in the later 80's , maybe very early nineties But i'd have to say your the fourth owner, at minimum!

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 6:25pm

Yes, i know a prior owner that had it in the later 80's , maybe very early nineties But i'd have to say your the fourth owner, at minimum!

No kidding, is the super beast lettering factory? Here’s some photos, you sure this is the same boat or was their only one super beast?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UeRiHyBL4FySdSiiUzfosxtjbUOFJFhq/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I5qUjEhDxEFuQKYuYARVRmqQKaF1K5e-/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T8KPvnDhvVwdJUm6Gd1PtbOXcCSJIKV7/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dPAUx5KNJ564YpljmG1NL1RqAVIGZ_XZ/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nXjDwQe_24RcVxJGoGHqW0Edf623sXBB/view?usp=drivesdk
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 8:35pm
Well different boat it seems!!
Forget what I said about specifics
The s/b I was in was an 83 with typical tri color stripes

You have a gem there

There must be a story about multiple super beasts

The one I was in was matching stripe colors. not vinyl.

That boat seems colored like an 85, not an 84...

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 8:38pm
That's definitely a LH engine

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 8:48pm
It was listed as an 83 but I agree it’s an 84. Dash (woodgrain) and interior match the early boats (82-84), but no wing windows which stuck around through 83. Interior has been replaced but likely matched the tawny/brown before the hull stripe was repainted to look like an 86 (85 would have gone to the rubrail in the rear).

Whoever repainted likely kept the name? Can’t possibly be 2 tall pylon lefty big block 2001’s in the northeast with the same name?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 9:11pm
Sounds awesome. What a find

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

It was listed as an 83 but I agree it’s an 84. Dash (woodgrain) and interior match the early boats (82-84), but no wing windows which stuck around through 83. Interior has been replaced but likely matched the tawny/brown before the hull stripe was repainted to look like an 86 (85 would have gone to the rubrail in the rear).

Whoever repainted likely kept the name? Can’t possibly be 2 tall pylon lefty big block 2001’s in the northeast with the same name?

When I bought this yesterday it was listed as an 83 but reg. And hull ID indicate 84. To me this paint does look to original, it’s doesn’t look like a vynal job. The owner did seem pretty confident that when his family got this in late 80s that they got it from the original owner. Now I’m confused if there were multiple superbeast or if this was the same one lol
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 9:22pm
The red stripe on the outside is definitely not original. Neither is the interior vinyl or carpet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The red stripe on the outside is definitely not original. Neither is the interior vinyl or carpet.

No kidding, I wonder what it used to look like. So super beast isn’t a factory lettering?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 10:36pm
Let’s hope not
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 11:05pm
I like it and it sounds healthy!
Gottaski sent you a warning about your new boat. Pay attention.

That hull is normally perfect but in some conditions, rough water or high speed it can suddenly spin a 180 on you and throw people right out of the boat.
I have two friends that had this happen. one of them says his wife is still convinced he was screwing around and it was his fault. He swears he was sober and trying to drive straight back to the dock when it happened on Lake Powell in rough water.
Do some reading and know what to avoid in that hull.
The two guys I know both have the 351W bone stock in their boats so they were not going over 46 MPH when it happened and scared the dog doo out of them.
One was in 1982 when these first came out and the other just happened 2 years ago and he bought his new in 1986 and had never had an issue up till then.
Nice boat and it will be a ton of fun just learn to respect it and know what it does best before playing in it at high speed.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 11:08pm
Well there are enough distinctive pieces to Id if its same boat.
I'll make some emails this week.

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 11:10pm

Well there are enough distinctive pieces to Id if its same boat.
I'll make some emails this week.

Sounds good let me know I can send extra pics if it’ll help to
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 9:39am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I like it and it sounds healthy!
Gottaski sent you a warning about your new boat. Pay attention.

That hull is normally perfect but in some conditions, rough water or high speed it can suddenly spin a 180 on you and throw people right out of the boat.
I have two friends that had this happen. one of them says his wife is still convinced he was screwing around and it was his fault. He swears he was sober and trying to drive straight back to the dock when it happened on Lake Powell in rough water.
Do some reading and know what to avoid in that hull.
The two guys I know both have the 351W bone stock in their boats so they were not going over 46 MPH when it happened and scared the dog doo out of them.
One was in 1982 when these first came out and the other just happened 2 years ago and he bought his new in 1986 and had never had an issue up till then.
Nice boat and it will be a ton of fun just learn to respect it and know what it does best before playing in it at high speed.

Indeed

If one thinks their superior driving skill can save oneself from this condition, one is mistaken. The only superior skill is awe and respect of the forces involved and precious life. No doubt you will be egged to demonstrate the boats speed at the worst times possible.

i encourage you to tell them meet you at the dock at 6am, else forget it!

The swapped ends is abrupt and brutal. In a sister boat, after morning sessions a, watched a fellow barefooter riding the engine cover and holding the tall pylon go azz over teakettle (still in barefoot suit), he said he hit the water then dove as soon as he could. I in the middle got stuffed under the bow/driver footwell so thoroughly, had to be pulled out. Luckily the boat stayed shiny side up, mostly.

Throttle down below 40 well before hitting irregular waves and wakes obliquely

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 10:12am
Why is it that the usual suspects haven't come up with any warnings about how the boat is gonna list terribly to the drivers side and handle terribly because it's a normal rotation engine in a hull designed? for a reverse rotation engine?

I figure it's survived all these years, it's just fine especially with a passenger and/or some counterweight
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 10:42am
Driving skills don't come into play once you roll the rudder up out of the water.

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Why is it that the usual suspects haven't come up with any warnings about how the boat is gonna list terribly to the drivers side and handle terribly because it's a normal rotation engine in a hull designed? for a reverse rotation engine?

Cause rare factory HO engines are worth a little gangsta lean... and lean it will when driven by driver alone. Don't go out alone would be my advise, and if you are driving frisky put the passengers in the back seat port side. Just generally carrying extra ballast on the passenger side would not be recommended unless all the way aft otherwise it is not likely to help the tendency to put a chine in the water. Speeds 30+ the lean is pretty much gone.   Isn't someone gonna post this lucky guy a picture with the tri color brown graphics this had originally? I don't have the picture or skills.   Based on the remaining 3 color paint patches on the rope deflector feature of the back deck alone and the same name being used I would be shocked if this was not the same boat that Gottaski had spent some time on.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 10:49am
Thanks for the info guys that’s all good stuff to know, I’ve seen the videos of people easily power sliding these boats which made me think that in the right conditions it might get away from ya
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 11:35am
Click on the link and you'll find 84 tan and brown colors and stripe scheme. that Joe mentioned

I'm not sure why somebody takes a picture of their boat in front of a cemetery though

link

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 12:35pm

Thanks for the info guys that’s all good stuff to know, I’ve seen the videos of people easily power sliding these boats which made me think that in the right conditions it might get away from ya

It seems you understand well, Just to remove possible remaining ambiguity, the event we are speaking of is going straight, fast with no wheel inputs, vs the power slide which is horsing around and looking for trouble and downright controlled in comparison. Also not recommended because one looks like a yahoo and doesn't represent the brand nor sport well. heh with big power come big responsibility. Big dogs don't need to bark.

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 1:13pm

It seems you understand well, Just to remove possible remaining ambiguity, the event we are speaking of is going straight, fast with no wheel inputs, vs the power slide which is horsing around and looking for trouble and downright controlled in comparison. Also not recommended because one looks like a yahoo and doesn't represent the brand nor sport well. heh with big power come big responsibility. Big dogs don't need to bark.

Right seems like the issue only happens in rough water, calm water seems to be the only time to go 50+
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic