NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

alternative to H/M waterpump location

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
428CobraJet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 428CobraJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alternative to H/M waterpump location
    Posted: July-08-2019 at 10:37pm
Has anyone done something different for mounting or locating a waterpump on a sbf?

this is a 1970ish Holman Moody 351. being a vdrive, the pumps are in 'never never land'
You are what you drive.
1971 Nova24vdrive
1967 Arabian
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 10:49pm
No fair asking questions without updating the thread in the link below

link

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 428CobraJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

link

done!
You are what you drive.
1971 Nova24vdrive
1967 Arabian
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 428CobraJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 11:18pm
done!

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

link

You are what you drive.
1971 Nova24vdrive
1967 Arabian
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 11:27pm
Good job on the update, lousy luck on your part

Just me thinking but I think I'd go to an Indmar 351W cooling setup.

That uses a crankshaft mounted raw water pump and also a circulating pump that's the same as a PCM 351. The crankshaft mounted pump may sound inconvenient, but I think it would be easier than using a PCM style belt driven pump.

It's held on with 3 or 4 bolts depending on whether your harmonic balancer is 3 or 4 bolts and no belts to adjust while you're laying on top of the engine, working backwards. It's pretty easy to remove or install too. (Really easy to change impellers in a direct drive but that won't do you any good)

You'd also need a Indmar style thermostat housing. They're still available from Barr Marine. Check the link below

Not being sure of how much room you have, it's just an idea

Figuring that you need 2 circulating pumps, 2 raw water pumps and 2 thermostat housings for the Novi, the price starts to add up fairly quickly.

link
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 428CobraJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 11:45pm
cant figure how to post a pic :-(
You are what you drive.
1971 Nova24vdrive
1967 Arabian
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 428CobraJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2019 at 10:43pm
ok...we mounted the pump on a one arm bracket.
it vibrates. is this excessive compared to others with damper mounted pumps?

https://youtu.be/LTp-zj9S_WQ

https://youtu.be/KCnTE2CGXNw
You are what you drive.
1971 Nova24vdrive
1967 Arabian
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2019 at 10:59pm
I installed a crank-mounted pump assy. on a PCM 351w, basically mimicking the entire H/M setup I made an mounting arm, and it (so far) is very smooth. I have since redone the kluged coolant pipes. There is a thread here, find with search.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 428CobraJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2019 at 11:12pm
how did you center the pump perfectly?

couldn't find any links to your name about a waterpump.
I did see quite a bit about the Carter YHs. I remember how miserable I was with that setup.
You are what you drive.
1971 Nova24vdrive
1967 Arabian
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2019 at 11:50am
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46883&KW=water+pump&PID=562047&title=81-ski-nautique-gets-wetagain#562047

The search tool (a bit fussy) did find it.
Now, if I only knew how to create a link to it for you,
or to make Carter YH's stop leaking...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2019 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Now, if I only knew how to create a link to it for you,
or to make Carter YH's stop leaking...

Here's one for you Brian - the link

BTW, I thought about you over the weekend. I had the X55 at a show and the YH's came up in a discussion.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2019 at 2:36pm
The mounting holes in the Ford harmonic balancer have 3/8 course threads and at least on the Johnson pump I have on an Indmar Ford the corresponding holes in the flange are 1/2 inch.

Makes it real easy to get the bolts started but kinda hard to get things nice and concentric.

There are alignment holes roughly 6/10 inch OD in the crank pulley and the water pump flange but this one never had any pins or bushings in the holes.

I ended up bushing the 3 holes in the pump flange down to 3/8 inch and the wobble pretty much disappeared when things were put back together.

This was all used/abused stuff so your situation may be different, but it's worth a look.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 428CobraJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2019 at 12:52pm
ty all!

some kind of small bushing is the answer.
Craig
You are what you drive.
1971 Nova24vdrive
1967 Arabian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic