Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ANP vs other bimini tops?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ANP vs other bimini tops?
    Posted: July-08-2019 at 11:46pm
Reading back in the forums, people seem to recommend GMI tops, which is now ANP in Canada. Just wanted to make sure they still have a good rep, has anyone bought a top for them recently?

Other good experiences? It also looks like the Carver Super Sport gets some love, but again forum posts are old...

I put this off for a while hoping I'd find a good tower, but that's not happening so I'm replacing the aged horrible canvas top that came with the boat.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
triplett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triplett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 10:57pm
I just ordered a ANP Bimini, I should receive soon. I’ll report back.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by triplett triplett wrote:

I just ordered a ANP Bimini, I should receive soon. I’ll report back.

I didn't mention this but part of my reason for asking is that ANP had a huge delay on my order. They claim 7-10 business days on their website, but 2 weeks later there was no update from them. I called them and they gave me the run around, saying it should be shipping the week of 7/15.

I thought about canceling, but it would cost me almost $200 more to order from boatcoversdirect with their expedited shipping option, didn't seem worthwhile, and at the end of the day I'm only spending $360 at ANP (Canadian to US conversion for the win).

Hope this damn thing is solid!
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2019 at 3:00am
They are. You should be happy with it.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2019 at 1:09am
Thanks all - received the bimini today, about a month after ordering it. Again, incredibly frustrating that they advertise "7-10 business days" on their website.

That being said, the bimini seems to be of decent quality overall, and for the all-in price of $360 US, it's pretty clear I traded slowness for value.

Still hoping I can find a decent tower for this boat...
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2019 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by DockDoc DockDoc wrote:

..... Still hoping I can find a decent tower for this boat...

Glad it all worked out. Others would probably like to have updates in the future about fit, ergonomics and longevity.   

With respect to the tower, define "decent".   Are you looking for the same type of 'value' with the tower as your bimini? Maybe quality and strength is more important or maybe price and timeframe is key.   Would you like it to be an exact fit type tower or is a more generic, universal something you'd consider?   

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2019 at 11:04am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

..... Still hoping I can find a decent tower for this boat...

Glad it all worked out. Others would probably like to have updates in the future about fit, ergonomics and longevity.   

With respect to the tower, define "decent".   Are you looking for the same type of 'value' with the tower as your bimini? Maybe quality and strength is more important or maybe price and timeframe is key.   Would you like it to be an exact fit type tower or is a more generic, universal something you'd consider?   

Yeah good point, I'll update this post once I've used the thing a bit. However, I've had a few biminis, and this feels as solid and well made as any of them.

Tower - frankly, after doing some homework, I decided I want either a flight control 2 or a new dimensions tower. Problem is I'm not really willing to pony up the $3k to get there. None of the universal towers really interested me.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2019 at 12:08pm
If you’re patient—perhaps to the point of frustration, you might get lucky as I did and find a used tower.
triplett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triplett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2019 at 12:26pm
Just an update on my ANP order. I'm still waiting and I ordered on July 8th. They told me it was going out last week, after 3rd call, they now are claiming this coming Monday. So... we'll see. I agree really frustrating. Hopefully, I'll receive before the season is over . There is absolutely no communication after ordering, which makes it even worse. I'm not sure I would recommend them. On top of all that the representative was border line rude when checking on the status of my order.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2019 at 12:42pm

Just an update on my ANP order. I'm still waiting and I ordered on July 8th. They told me it was going out last week, after 3rd call, they now are claiming this coming Monday. So... we'll see. I agree really frustrating. Hopefully, I'll receive before the season is over . There is absolutely no communication after ordering, which makes it even worse. I'm not sure I would recommend them. On top of all that the representative was border line rude when checking on the status of my order.

Yeah you're getting the exact same runaround. They sent me a survey to rate my experience with them... I was honest.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2019 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

If you’re patient—perhaps to the point of frustration, you might get lucky as I did and find a used tower.

Yeah I've already seen a couple come and go. The problem is they're usually located 1500+ miles away, people want a lot of $$ for them, and shipping can be prohibitive. On top of that, I've not seen one meant for my year/model of nautique, so I have to rely on someone else's measurements, which is a pretty big gamble. Really hoping one pops up locally or at least reachable at some point.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
triplett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triplett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 2:47pm
Finally received and installed. Looks like a well made bimini. I'm not sure the long wait or customer service is worth recommending as a seller. Also, considering they left out a couple parts. Still waiting on them to return my call. Also note, the bimini comes with zippers on all 4 sides, I guess for sides or to connect an additional bimini? I probably would or requested them to leave off the extra zippers if i knew that. I'll post a picture soon.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 2:57pm

Finally received and installed. Looks like a well made bimini. I'm not sure the long wait or customer service is worth recommending as a seller. Also, considering they left out a couple parts. Still waiting on them to return my call. Also note, the bimini comes with zippers on all 4 sides, I guess for sides or to connect an additional bimini? I probably would or requested them to leave off the extra zippers if i knew that. I'll post a picture soon.

Spent a week with the boat using the new bimini - overall I think it's great, and an excellent value. I wish the fit was a bit tighter but I can probably get it better with some tinkering.

There is a zipper package option when you're ordering it. Are you sure you didn't click that, if by accident?

Agreed their service is just generally terrible. In my mind, that's what makes them cheap.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 3:12pm
I will be looking for a bimini this winter. When you post photos can you post specs that you selected as well.
triplett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triplett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 1:16pm
Below are some pictures. It took a little bit to figure out the forward placement, to allow my pole to be adjustable (height) and to avoid having to install another zipper for bow pylon support strap. In order to fold infront of windshield I would of been forced to move it quite a bit f0rward but didn't want it to far forward. I still need to play with the adjustment straps. I also installed a double head to head zipper that is about 12" long for the pylon to go through..

For the final height I cut down the pole to lower by about 4-5 inches.

Sunbrella Bimini Top - with zipper pkg 6L x Width 73- 78 x Height 30-36 (3 Bow)

DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 1:31pm
Looks great!!! How'd you install the zipper for the pylon? I want to do the same.

Below are some pictures. It took a little bit to figure out the forward placement, to allow my pole to be adjustable (height) and to avoid having to install another zipper for bow pylon support strap. In order to fold infront of windshield I would of been forced to move it quite a bit f0rward but didn't want it to far forward. I still need to play with the adjustment straps. I also installed a double head to head zipper that is about 12" long for the pylon to go through..

For the final height I cut down the pole to lower by about 4-5 inches.

Sunbrella Bimini Top - with zipper pkg 6L x Width 73- 78 x Height 30-36 (3 Bow)

1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
triplett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triplett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 1:59pm
Thanks! This feels like a good height, to allow moving and not looking silly. Can't say I love the look of bimini's, but It allows us to be in the water much longer so it's worth it.

Here is what I ordered from sailrite for around $10 buck with shipping:
2x YKK Zipper Slider #10 Vislon Black Plastic Double Locking Pull
(2x so you could zip around the pole)
YKK Continuous Zipper Chain #10 Black (Vislon) - 12" to allow bimini to adjust
YKK Zipper #10 Stainless Steel Top Stop (Vislon)

After i installed bimini, i marked the center of the hole, using a long straight edge, also allowed room to adjust forward and backward. My pole is a 2 piece with board racks. The hole is around 12" long, which gives me some room for adjusting forward or backwards. Then took back apart and my wife was able to use her sewing machine to install the zipper. I believe using polyester thread is best. Should be simple for anyone with sewing skills. I'm sure if you had extra fabric you could get fancy with piping etc to cover the zipper.

triplett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triplett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 2:17pm
urrrr. yea.. duh.. i selected the zipper package, thinking that was the cover for the bimini.. oh well.. i guess i wasted some money there.. maybe i'll just remove them.
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2019 at 12:49am

Spent a week with the boat using the new bimini - overall I think it's great, and an excellent value. I wish the fit was a bit tighter but I can probably get it better with some tinkering.

I thought the same at first about mine. Just pull it tighter.

Unfortunate about the customer service. They were great years back when I ordered.
triplett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triplett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 1:34pm
So first off, I am not one to complain or leave negative reviews about companies....but keep this in mind if anyone decides to order from ANP. I would not consider using them as a supplier.

My opinions are not based on the quality of their bimini, but on their poor customer service. They are rude, even after shorting me parts (support clip), also forgot to send me a quick release and charge me for 2. I decided to install without the quick release given the long wait. I called politely explaining the items shorted, not even getting into the different shipment dates they kept giving me and the long wait despite what they advertise. They would not give me a refund for the 2 quick releases, even after offering to pay for shipping to send one back. I explained it does me no good, because I don't want to drill more holes in my boat. This was their mistake and they should make it right.. no go after many emails and wasting time. All over a part that maybe cost them $15. Their solution is they are mailing the quick release that they shorted me..

Use another company, not worth it..
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 2:07pm
Great info thanks - the limiting factor for me is lack of sewing skills in our household (or a machine for that matter). Suppose I could probably mark the location and take it to a seamstress.

Thanks! This feels like a good height, to allow moving and not looking silly. Can't say I love the look of bimini's, but It allows us to be in the water much longer so it's worth it.

Here is what I ordered from sailrite for around $10 buck with shipping:
2x YKK Zipper Slider #10 Vislon Black Plastic Double Locking Pull
(2x so you could zip around the pole)
YKK Continuous Zipper Chain #10 Black (Vislon) - 12" to allow bimini to adjust
YKK Zipper #10 Stainless Steel Top Stop (Vislon)

After i installed bimini, i marked the center of the hole, using a long straight edge, also allowed room to adjust forward and backward. My pole is a 2 piece with board racks. The hole is around 12" long, which gives me some room for adjusting forward or backwards. Then took back apart and my wife was able to use her sewing machine to install the zipper. I believe using polyester thread is best. Should be simple for anyone with sewing skills. I'm sure if you had extra fabric you could get fancy with piping etc to cover the zipper.

1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 3:59pm
Take it to a upholstery shop that does covers. I just had my cover cut around the new tower, came out great.
triplett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triplett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 4:34pm
I think after you mark it and disassemble the bimini, just about anyone with some sewing experience should be able to handle it. From my research, using polyester thread is recommended for outdoor use. My wife rarely sews and it was easy for her, for whatever that is worth.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic