NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Guage Wiring... 99 Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 2:14pm
Correct, you don't need the connector.
91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 2:21pm
Thanks for all the info.
1991 Ski Nautique
(Previous)1984 Ski Nautique 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

I don't have a picture but it looked something like this:2 Pin connector

Gary,
If you do use the connector, be very careful on the selection or amp capacity. You may be up into the pin and sleeve connector type. You may be better off just leaving some extra wire at the dash pod.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 4:59pm
Like Pete says. This is what I have used for 8 ga. wire. Good for 50 amps.

link
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 6:17pm
You are connecting to a 20 amp breaker and splitting the current through 2 wires. So worse case if one wire opens is 20 amps.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 6:26pm
Sean,
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

You are connecting to a 20 amp breaker and splitting the current through 2 wires. So worse case if one wire opens is 20 amps.

Sorry but I'm not following this.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 7:06pm
For the older boat it sounds like he added the additional positive wire in parallel with the existing wire between the 50 amp main breaker and the 20 amp ignition breaker. So if both wires are intact then a portion of the current will flow through each wire unless one opens then all the current will flow through the remaining wire. If there is a short in that path then you could see 50 amps on those wires before the main breaker opened but for normal operation the dash/ignition circuit was designed for 20 amps max. I wouldn't expect to see more than a few amps through each wire unless a failure occurred then the new connector would probably be the least of the problems. But you knew all that so what am I missing?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 9:46am
Re-wiring is complete. Any and every issue I had from the horn resetting perfect pass to my Nav lights causing incorrect volt and temp readings and all the annoying "chirps" when turning on blower, bilge etc.... is now resolved. I have avoided this for 4 seasons because of the perceived complexity of the job, but in the end it was pretty straight forward.

Big thanks to all of you who provided input to help me out.
1991 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 9:51am
Originally posted by 91NaughtyQ 91NaughtyQ wrote:

Re-wiring is complete. Any and every issue I had from the horn resetting perfect pass to my Nav lights causing incorrect volt and temp readings and all the annoying "chirps" when turning on blower, bilge etc.... is now resolved. I have avoided this for 4 seasons because of the perceived complexity of the job, but in the end it was pretty straight forward.

Big thanks to all of you who provided input to help me out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 12:49pm
Congrats. It does sound like a horrible job, but it's not really that difficult once you dig into it.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

Congrats. It does sound like a horrible job, but it's not really that difficult once you dig into it.

It is that first time you contemplate cutting wires in that spaghetti looking mess behind the dash that seems too much to handle. Thanks to you guys on here I was able to get it done. Some smart folks on here for sure.
1991 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic