Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 Winterizing - lesson learned (impeller)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 Winterizing - lesson learned (impeller)
    Posted: July-10-2019 at 3:57pm
The full thread is over on the engine repair side (2000 GT-40 overheating at planing speeds), but I'll just post my big lesson learned briefly here with the hope it may be helpful for others.

DO NOT leave your water pump impeller "dry" over the winter; the blades will crack and break off when starting up for the season. While winterizing, I drained the engine block, but did not refill with antifreeze. Big mistake!

DO check upstream (as well as the usual places downstream) for missing pieces of impeller blades. Mine had been hiding in the hose from the transmission cooler outlet to the water pump inlet.

Thanks to advice from bfootr and others on this site I got it fixed.
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2019 at 4:07pm
I may go BEYOND what is necessary for winter layup..but after I but Sta-bil in my gas tank, and fog my engine, I drain all the water out...then I pour -75F antifreeze into the thermostat hose, and watch until it starts coming out both engine drain ports on each side, and the exhaust manfolds, AND the drain port at the bottom elbow under the raw water pump. Once I can see "red" I let some continue to drain for a few more seconds, then close them up. I remove my rubber water impeller, rub it down with just a little silicone "o ring" grease. and put it in a plastic bag, and hang if from the raw water pump for the winter. In the spring when I go to open the boat up, I will re-install the impeller, tighten the belts, check all hoses and connections and go from there. Has worked for me now for several years.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2019 at 4:13pm
I spun the brass hub loose of the rubber veins one year in a dry restart. Impellers like to be wet...
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2019 at 5:46pm
Out here in the West where our Summers are long and 90-100 degrees is normal for 4-5 months each year I find the impeller needs to be changed every other year to keep from having failure.
One trick learned years ago for install is to squirt the impeller and pump cavity with a little dish washing soap, I use Dawn. The impeller slips right in with zero drag with the soap.
Once you fire up water washes it clean and your good to go. Petroleum based lubes can cause rapid failure of the rubber.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2019 at 6:01pm
I have drained the cooling system in my boat every year since I bought it in '93.   Never had a problem with an impeller. I change them about every 3rd season. So about every 150 hrs of operation and they always look pretty good when I take them out. You mentioned using a fake a lake when you first ran your engine. You probably did not get good water flow and that's what shredded your impeller, not leaving it dry for the winter, or it was just a really old impeller. Even if you are going to keep the impeller wet during winter lay up when you start it in the spring you may want to consider a different method of supplying water. Disconnect the hose from the through hull fitting and connect a garden hose or install a "Tommy T". Or what I do is just put the boat in the water. She always fires right up!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2019 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

I may go BEYOND what is necessary for winter layup..but after I but Sta-bil in my gas tank, and fog my engine, I drain all the water out...then I pour -75F antifreeze into the thermostat hose, and watch until it starts coming out both engine drain ports on each side, and the exhaust manfolds, AND the drain port at the bottom elbow under the raw water pump. Once I can see "red" I let some continue to drain for a few more seconds, then close them up. I remove my rubber water impeller, rub it down with just a little silicone "o ring" grease. and put it in a plastic bag, and hang if from the raw water pump for the winter. In the spring when I go to open the boat up, I will re-install the impeller, tighten the belts, check all hoses and connections and go from there. Has worked for me now for several years.

You should move it into your bedroom on the nightstand, it would really like the extra special treatment
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2019 at 8:36pm
   yeah, I'll do that and kiss it and tuck it in each night before bed!     
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2019 at 12:22pm
Shooter guessing yours was ready to be replaced anyway.
I inspect it when I pull it out if I see any sign of wear I toss it, if it looks good I throw it and the key in a zip lock and toss it in the glove box, dry.
I do lube the inside of the pump with o ring lube before installing in the spring.
This has worked on both my boats for years.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2019 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

yeah, I'll do that and kiss it and tuck it in each night before bed!     

You're a good man Flyweed   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic