NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Automatic bilge pump size

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Automatic bilge pump size
    Posted: July-13-2019 at 8:07pm
Next week the family and I are going on vacation for a week at a mountain lake resort and it occured to me that the boat is going to be in a slip for over a week straight. Since I had originally installed the only bilge pump that was readily available and it wasn't an automatic I thought it prudent to swap it out to an automatic pump in light of this years seemingly unending rain - don't really want to go down to the dock one morning to find the boat lurking just beneath the waterline. The question I have for the group is what is the recommended size for the SN size hull?

Thanks!
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 8:25pm
Joe

I would think 500 or 750 GPH would be good for normal circumstances.

You'll probably get all kinds of opinions on capacity, type of float or sensing arrangement etc.

I'm gonna base my recommendation strictly on color though, I'm sure it'll go with your under hood motif   

Do you have a good cover for that tanker?

link

gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 8:55pm
Thanks Ken .... I was figuring 750 or so would likely do the job. I was also planning on the traditional float type. Some things I'm just sort of old-school that way I guess.
As far as the cover goes, I do have a travel cover (generic) that I've modified to work with my tower. But of course because of the tower I'm thinking the stock mooring covers won't work while she's in the water. One of these days I'll get around to having a custom cover made, but after all the $$ I've spent on it this spring already I figure I better not tempt fate with the MRS   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

I was also planning on the traditional float type. Some things I'm just sort of old-school that way I guess.   

I too would go with the traditional separate float switch. I know there were lots of problems with the built in electronic switches early on when they first came out. Less now but the traditional has always worked.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 9:35pm
I can’t believe “Mr Original” is advocating a non original part      Is the original stuff missing? Mine being a vdrive has 2 600 gph pumps with a Water Witch sensor. Does a SN usually have 1 pump?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I can’t believe “Mr Original” is advocating a non original part      Is the original stuff missing? Mine being a vdrive has 2 600 gph pumps with a Water Witch sensor. Does a SN usually have 1 pump?

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I agree with the safety issue and so does the ACBS. Things like bilge blowers and fusing electrics are a good example of non original acceptable items

A bilge pump no matter what type is a safety device.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 1:52am
I had the same thoughts Pete. I had heard of some bad experiences with the electronic sensing ones, albeit that was years ago. Technology 'always advancing and getting better' hasn't really convinced me to trust this particular tech quite yet. My previous ones have all been floats and had never let me down so why mess with success.

Don't know about original size or type used in my era of SN (thus the reason for this post) but when I bought the boat it had a relatively small and seemingly old - or at least very well used/ abused - unit of the no-name or generic variety.   I promptly discarded it in favor of the model I spoke of earlier due to an incident only a week or so after getting the boat home.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 2:43am
Joe:

My 1994 has two 750 GPH units hooked up to a Water Witch. I really like the Water Witch configuration.

LINK to Water Witch

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2019 at 12:57am
All great info and thanks for the feedback!   Amazon Prime is an amazing tool for times just like these when time (one way or another) is of the essence. I'll likely research what they've got available through the Prime and make my purchase tomorrow.    WW does look tempting JQ   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2019 at 11:01am
My ‘95 came stock with the WW no issues that I remember.
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 11:32am
Be aware that different GPH ratings will have different sized outputs. I bought a 1200gph pump last fall because it was nearly the same price as a 700gph. Turns out that the outlet on the 1200 is too large for the hose on my boat. I now have a 700 with built in float, works great.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 11:17pm
Thanks to all for their input. I got an old school Attwood 750 gph float type from Amazon, mainly because it was guaranteed to deliver on time. Installed it the other day and in testing it worked well.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic