Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mengel Playthings Miss America

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mengel Playthings Miss America
    Posted: July-16-2019 at 1:53pm
Yesterday my father and my son were messing with an old toy boat we've had at the lake forever, just sitting up on the mantle with some toy sailboats. I hadn't thought much about it since I played with it as a kid, but they were trying to get it working again and both my father and I started wondering how old it was.

Of course, a quick google search was all it took - we found that it's likely from around 1930, and that it's not all that rare, or at least it's a known thing and there are nice examples kicking around. A google image search shows quite a few on various antique toy and other sites like ebay.

Anyway, I took a few pictures and thought I'd share with you all. It's supposed to wind up and spin the prop, but the driveshaft seems to be bound a little. It spins by hand, but when you wind it up it's not enough force to spin it. The prop looks like it was soldered on at some point, so I'm reluctant to try to remove it and clean out the driveshaft and its housing. That's as far as we got before moving on to some other activity yesterday.

The very thin mahogany piece that makes up the deck was removed to get a look at the mechanism inside, I didn't get a picture of it all assembled. Anyway, I thought it was a neat thing you all might like to see.

When you hear someone say "they don't make 'em like they used to" THIS is the kind of thing they're talking about.

Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 11:02pm
Never seen one of those. Very cool .
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 11:34pm
Well since you already posted pictures, I’m guessing Pete’s gonna ask about the proper alignment and prop lap

Sorry Ken beat ya to it
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 12:05am
That is sharp. Quite the prop angle too. Don't forget the alignment begins at the strut
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 10:19am
Angle of the dangle, root of the toot. Pretty cool.
Js
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 11:13am
Very nice to say the least!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 12:02pm
How much are the Lobster Rolls at the Market Basket? Yummy

Very Cool Old Toy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

How much are the Lobster Rolls at the Market Basket? Yummy

Very Cool Old Toy

It really is a neat thing, though I suspect at this point it'll be staying on the mantle indefinitely unless we get really ambitious. I also think the prop is not original, based on the pics of others with nice-looking 3-blades. This one looks like it was made - probably by my grandfather - to replace one that fell off at some point. He always liked 2-blade props on his old Mercury outboard, so it would be like him to try and put a higher-performing prop on a toy like this. Or... a 2-blade is easier to make out of a piece of scrap metal.

I also have an old (2005 ish) r/c Super Air Nautique that doesn't work, that I'd really like to get working for my kids. Not sure about that project, I might be dreaming. I have a donor boat and everything. You guys would like it actually - I'm planning on gutting an r/c G23 to repower the '05. We'll see.

Oh yeah the lobster rolls. Ha! I'm surprised no one commented on the messy workbench!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

That is sharp. Quite the prop angle too. Don't forget the alignment begins at the strut

Seriously, what is that strut angle? 30 degrees? Not a planing hull that's for sure.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 1:14pm
Good stuff.

Certainly not that old, but I cant tell you how many toy electric boats I had when I was a kid.

Inboards like this

or, in hindsight, cooler, outboards like this. Had a bunch of them. Wish I still had some. Some are worth a few bucks. Dont see toys like this any more.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Good stuff.

Certainly not that old, but I cant tell you how many toy electric boats I had when I was a kid.

Inboards like this

or, in hindsight, cooler, outboards like this. Had a bunch of them. Wish I still had some. Some are worth a few bucks. Dont see toys like this any more.

Nice boat! We have a couple wind-up outboards around, too. One was plastic from the 80's and of course doesn't work.

I almost forgot about my desk lamp. My parents gave me this when I was working at a marina. It's cool and I get lots of comments on it, but it has several details (at least 3) that bother me. Let's see how many you all can spot:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic