NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

After carb rebuild, engine bogs on throttle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: After carb rebuild, engine bogs on throttle
    Posted: July-16-2019 at 7:45pm
Hey everyone:
I'm in Idaho for a while this summer and my buddy just had the carb (holley 4160) rebuilt on his 89 Ski Nautique. After putting it in the water we had to adjust the electric choke a bit to get it to start cold. I think we have the choke adjusted well, but when you throw down the throttle to pull up a skier it bogs a bit...not a lot, but enough hesitation to be a problem.

It did not have this problem before the carb rebuild, so I'm assuming the timing is good. The only thing we've messed with is the choke, which I think has helped, the problem, but not made it go away.

What say you?   

Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 9:02pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 7:12pm
Watched vids. Adjusted spring on pump arm per video, However, there is play in neutral and it's too tight to get .015 feeler gage in at wide open throttle. This seems like a problem.

Moved cam back and forth from position 2 to 1--didn't seem to matter. Pump nozzle is size 25. I did not try going bigger.

Would you try bigger nozzle? Is there a trick on the spring to pump arm?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 7:13pm
also after running an hour and fully warm, it wouldn't start after I shut it off without holding the choke closed. I'm wondering if spring is bad on elec choke?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 7:42pm
When it's been running for an hour and fully warm the choke should have been fully open for the previous 59 minutes or so and it should start hot with it fully open.

Maybe explain how you adjusted the choke with pictures showing it cold and hot.

Do you get gas from the accelerator pump nozzles as soon as you move the throttle. You can check that with the engine OFF and the flame arrestor off.

I'd be more inclined to look at your idle mixture adjustments and forget about the accelerator pump if you do.

After the rebuild did you guys check the idle mixture screws to be roughly 1 1/2 turns out as a starting point.

Lots of CCF threads on adjusting idle mixture.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 12:29am
What is your idle RPM? Check timing just to be sure.
'92 Sport Nautique
91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2019 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

4160 accelerator pump adjustment.

What he said
1991 Ski Nautique
(Previous)1984 Ski Nautique 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic