Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

screw down VS clip down distributors

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jjtaub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjtaub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: screw down VS clip down distributors
    Posted: September-15-2006 at 4:33pm
I have a 78 Nautique and Was wondering if the distributor is the screw down VS the Clip down. I know this might sound silly but my distributor has little metal clips with screws at the base. I a$$umed this this was the clip down but I just bought and electronic conversion and it didn't fit (sierra 18-5298) the new rotor is a to big and the ruber plug that seals the whole is the wrong shape and size.

So mine is the screw down?

Jim
JJTaub
78 Ski Nautique-past
94 Ski Nautique
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 5:04pm
I have the same type of distributor/cap. To the best of my knowledge...it is considered a "clip-down", 2 clips that hld the cap, but the clips are screwed into the dist. housing. I was kinda confused as well, but the "screw-downs" just have screws, no clips involved. Perhaps they sent you the wrong unit. I'm sure more knowledgable people will give their input. Hope that helps.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 2:23am
Is your distributor a "Prestolite"? If so, then what really matters for getting the correct conversion kit is: What type rotor did your distributor come with. I'm not sure about Sierra part numbers, but the Pertronix part numbers are 1581 and 1582. The 1581 fits the earlier distributor which used a square tip rotor and had the "clip" held cap. The 1582 fits the later one with the tapered tip rotor and the "screw" held cap. The 1581 sells for $74.95 at Summit and it is specifically made for marine applications.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic