Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine shuts off at full throttle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ryan6971 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan6971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine shuts off at full throttle
    Posted: July-17-2019 at 4:51pm
Hey guys it been a long time since I visited but my boats been in storage for the last 3 years. I just replace the carburetor and fuel pump. My buddy and I took her to the lake to tune it and it ran very well with the new quick fuel carb right out of the gate.

We were both very happy with it after some adjustments and decided to do a couple laps around the lake. However, I would run it up to full throttle the engine would just shut off like you shut the key off. We first thought float level!!! nope all fine there. Seems very electrical in nature. We got it to repeat 3 times and decided to put her back on the trailer. Is this a symtom of the Protec dying on me? thoughts?

93 Ski Nautique

Ryan
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 2:13am
ProTec going bad would be my first guess. Symptoms of a ProTec dying include intermittent starting, then not starting. Engine shut-off at operating speed. Mine simply died when I was pulling my cousin on a ski run.

Time to buy a new D.U.I. distributor by Performance Distributors.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 11:31am
Although protek is indeed suspect, dont dismiss fuel starvation, because it can behave similarly. Contrary to what one would suppose, can be very abrupt when at wot.

Its cost effective and quick to eliminate, especially if it turns out to be the issue
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 3:01pm
I have never had it happen but there is a check valve on the gas tank to keep fuel from spilling, I have heard when these go bad they can shut off fuel supply but I don't know the symtems of this type failure. I don't know if it does a full shut off of fuel or if it slows fuel supply making you run bad but not shut down.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 3:14pm
The obvious question would be ............"do you have spark right after it shuts down?"

Knowing the answer to that will at least get you going in the right direction
91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 5:15pm
Regardless if the ProTech is the root cause (Probably is), I learned the hard way. It isn't if the ProTech will puke on you, but a matter of when.
1991 Ski Nautique
(Previous)1984 Ski Nautique 2001
ryan6971 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan6971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 6:34pm
Why I don't suspect it's running out of fuel is that the float level is set at half way up the sight glass and you could see the fuel in there. We adjusted it after the first shut down. Smooth acceleration up to full throttle and then it just shuts off. Lucky for us it fired right back up after coming to a stop. I guess that would answer the question if we had spark. It would fire up immediately with the turn of the key.

I don't like to just throw parts at a problem, but I am wondering if it would be in my best interest to just replace the ProTech system with a DUI before it leaves me stranding on the lake waiting for the tow of shame...   (we did have someone hop in their boat and come over asking if we needed a tow)
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 6:34pm
Before just swapping out a Protec module check the voltage at the connector and also clean the contacts. I suspect there have been lots of misdiagnosed protec failures that were actually dash wiring problems.

Fixed my wiring and protec started working fine. 14 years ago
ryan6971 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan6971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 6:40pm
I'll check that tonight when I get home from work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2019 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Before just swapping out a Protec module check the voltage at the connector and also clean the contacts. I suspect there have been lots of misdiagnosed protec failures that were actually dash wiring problems.

Fixed my wiring and protec started working fine. 14 years ago

Man that would be something. I had a protec and it crapped out (just rewired dash last week with your help) so I retro'd it.

So do you still run with the Pro-Tech. It would be a great case study to see if the dash wiring was indeed the issue.

Gary
1991 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2019 at 3:44pm
I swapped out the protec with a DUI a few months ago. The protec had 1700hrs on it when I took it out. The boat still ran fine with the protec but everyone who has done the DUI swap has said how much better the boat ran with the DUI. I retired a few months ago so I needed a project and decided to swap it out. During the swap I noticed that I had one bank of spark plugs with a corrosion/rust. Turns out one of my risers was rusted through and I was getting a little bit of water intrusion into that bank of cylinders. With the DUI and new plugs/wires the boat runs better than with the protec. It starts quicker, idles smoother and I think I picked up a few hundred RPM's on the top end. I have also replaced the manifolds and risers so no more water intrusion which probably helped also. I actually had two protec modules so I had a spare in the boat if it ever crapped out. A member who had a problem he thought was the protec turned out to be a carb problem. He installed a DUI and gave me his old protec unit. I recently passed that one on to another member so he has a spare. So I don't know if all the reported protec problems are actually the unit failing or just the known wiring problems these boats have. Either way swapping them out for a DUI isn't a bad idea but if you are having problems with a protec boat it's worth checking the voltage and you may be able to get it running while you decide what to do in the long run. Hard to say whether yours was bad or not. Sounds like you added some accessories and the current draw went up which would cause the voltage to drop. Electronics don't like low input voltage. They draw more current and get hotter. So it is possible that the protec units that have been run with low voltage for a long time could degrade and ultimately fail.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2019 at 5:11pm
Great info. Mine was having problems before I added anything, so not sure what it was. either way I swapped it out and everything you say is true about how it runs. After rewiring the dash, everything got even better. The boat even runs better and everything's smoother. Not sure if that is real or perceived, but doing the dash made a world of difference. Only other outstanding task I have is steering cable replacement.
1991 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2019 at 6:06pm
Replacing the steering cable is a pretty easy job. The main problem is the cost. It looks like our boats use the same cable according to NautiqueParts. Here is a story: Way back when I hit a rock and had to have my boat repaired at the dealer he installed a new steering cable. Some years later it got stiff so I ordered another one from the same dealer. The one he sold me was a Teleflex SS13720. I removed the old cable and compared it to the one he sold me and they were the same. So at least he was consistent. That is not the correct cable for our boats. It's 20ft instead of 19.5ft. Other than the 6 inches in length and the significant cost difference the cables are the same. You can buy the Teleflex SS13720 for under $150 and it comes with a new helm. I have never used the replacement helm but it's still half the price of the correct cable. It's been a long time since the original cable was in my boat so I don't know if it steers any different than originally. There may be a difference in maximum rudder deflection but I have never thought that I had a problem doing tight turns.

Cheaper alternative cable
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic