Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2002 Pro Air Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NautiqueHack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueHack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2002 Pro Air Restoration
    Posted: July-27-2019 at 9:02pm
Hello CorrectCraftFan crew! I wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to the Correct Craft family with our newly purchased 2002 Pro Air Nautique. This, friends, is a project boat. The previous owner had the boat in a garage for a little over 5-years. Prior to that time, the boat was used (1,800+ Hrs) and the engine seized. I have very little information from the previous owner, that's ok......how hard could this be??? Ha.

Plans:
Restore to original with minor updates.
Working on a replacement long block now.....recommendations?
Waiting on quote for new skins, match original or all white
repaint/powder coat glass frames and tower
sand/polish/protect gel coat, fix two minor spots in gelcoat
restore trailer

Would anyone be interested in some videos of this performance? I was thinking of starting a Youtube channel to document the restoration, not much is out there now.

Let me know!
-Brian

On to the pictures:
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2019 at 9:35pm
Curious if you have thought of just rebuilding the block and heads you already have?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueHack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2019 at 12:01am
Thanks for the reply.

I did think about it, however I don't know of a reliable rebuilder in the area (Orlando) and I figured with the amount of hours on the engine it might be a good idea to start fresh again.

Granted I haven't looked into a shop here locally but I am in the backyard of Correct Craft. I have some time to research. Anyone know of a 351 wizard?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2019 at 2:30am
Well you won't be starting fresh again unless you have a time machine. Matter of fact PCM was still selling brand new 5.8 Ford engines as late as 2004- knowing that Ford was going quit making and using them they bought as many as they could. Any block and heads that you might get from a rebuilder may have started off in worse shape than what you have now. As to finding a shop, go to some car cruise nights. Ask the Ford guy's who does their machine work and compare prices between places like Jegs,Summit and dare I say Rapido Marine maybe Michigan Motors.Just be advised to do your homework . Good luck on your project and please keep posting as you go.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueHack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2019 at 8:22pm
Thanks Gary S. I guess I knew that but forgot about the lack of current manufacturing. I did some searching and found a reliable builder near me. I'm calling them tomorrow to get an idea of how this may go. I will report back with some results.

Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueHack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 11:42am
Looks like I'm buying a new engine. Spoke to a few builders and they cautioned a marine engine that has sat for this long. They will not guarantee the engine because of possible pin holes that may have developed in the water channels because of the raw water......

Anyone know, besides Summit performance, to find a new engine?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by NautiqueHack NautiqueHack wrote:

Spoke to a few builders and they cautioned a marine engine that has sat for this long. They will not guarantee the engine because of possible pin holes that may have developed in the water channels because of the raw water.

Brian,
Maybe you should talk to a few more. There are plenty of old engines out there without pin holes. My 1927, 1954, 1964 and 1977 are holding water!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 4:13pm
Please call Woody at 407-851-1965 40 years with Correct Craft
woodyelc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic