NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb leaking onto manifold

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb leaking onto manifold
    Posted: July-29-2019 at 5:18pm

I have been mostly running my other boat. I got the 85 2001 out this weekend to get it prepped and ready for our upcoming adaptive ski clinic. She was a little hesitant to fire up, letting me know she is disappointed in how much I have been running her. However, she fired up to life and purred!

After she fired up I did notice some gas pooling on the manifold, where the red arrows are in the pic. I did notice a drip from where the green arrow is.

Should I just plan on a full rebuild? The prior owner sent the carb off years ago for a rebuild. It is probably due. Or is this a sign of something I should try to address sooner?

I have rebuilt a mercab before, just not a holley 4 barrel. I am game to give a try, though.

Thanks,

Richard
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2019 at 6:19pm
The green arrow is pointing to a plug just like the 2 on top of the bowls that you or the previous owner epoxied at some time.

Dig out the epoxy and do the same to that plug and the corresponding one on the front bowl as a start. It's hard to tell from the picture if it's been done already

There's an o ring under that plug that gets old and leaks

It looks kinda like an oily residue in the picture

The thread in the link below has a picture of the plug and o ring

link
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2019 at 7:00pm
It is clear gas. My engine had needed a good cleaning since I got the boat.

That area seemed epoxied to me so that totally makes sense. Thanks for the link.

Would you not run the boat with such a leak?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2019 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

It is clear gas. My engine had needed a good cleaning since I got the boat.

That area seemed epoxied to me so that totally makes sense. Thanks for the link.

Would you not run the boat with such a leak?

I'd roughen up the area, clean it good and epoxy it again and see what happens as far as leakage.

I doubt that anybody will jump up as say to use it as is with the leakage 'cause they'd feel bad if it got suddenly worse and you had a fire/explosion.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 2:53pm
Do the local auto parts stores (Napa, Advanced) typically have the o rings for the fuel bowl transfer tube, and gaskets for the fuel bowls?   
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 3:27pm
Here is a close up on where the fuel bowl transfer tube goes in. This looks epoxied too. From my records I am pretty sure this is an old National carb rebuild, from years ago. Should the be epoxied too, or should I go with a new fuel bowl transfer tube and new o rings? .

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 4:10pm
If that really is epoxy where the transfer tube goes into the bowl, you may have a helluva time trying to get all the epoxy out and having a smooth surface for getting a seal with new seals. Let's hope it's dried up grease that somebody used to slide the tube and O ring into place

It could be new bowl time

If you're replacing things go with a Holley 26-115 transfer tube kit. The new style seals are easier to use and a lot harder to screw up and cause a leak

You'll see pictures in the link below.

Ignore any of Pete's backyard, shade tree hackery in the link

That link also has a link to the 26-115 transfer tube kit at Jeg's, but there are plenty of places to get it from.

link

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 6:40pm
Thanks its coming ASAP.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Ignore any of Pete's backyard, shade tree hackery in the link

Who's ????

Hi Pete
My favorite sorta hack maneuver that works a surprising number of times is to rap the float bowls in the area of the fuel inlet needle and seat with a screwdriver handle while the engine's running.
Might be a little piece of junk between the needle and seat that gets dislodged and everything smooths out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 7:45pm
But,but,but....................I've always said I was a backyard hack
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 8:23pm
Here's a link to a short video of me helping Pete start his rebuilt truck engine for the first time. I hope the link works

I'm the guy with the wrench

We work well together

link

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 8:48pm

link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 10:25am
+2
You guys make me laugh!
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 11:33am
Now that there is down right funny
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 12:14pm
Thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning! That is awesome,
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 5:15pm
I did the all mighty screw up (tore) of the transfer tube rubber seal on my Quick Fuel 600 . Am I understanding correctly that you can use epoxy as opposed to a seal . And if yes , what epoxy is recommended ? If no, does anybody have the part number for the seals and I guess a new tube would come with the kit ?
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 5:59pm
You can use epoxy................if ya' really wanna screw things up

So no just get new seals, don't even think about epoxy.

Holley seals work.

Do you have o rings or the newer sleeve type seals ?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 6:10pm
Two links below

First to the tube and good seal kit

link

Second to O rings

link

If you have O rings you could probably hit the local auto parts store and get some

Not all O rings are gas resistant so be careful with hardware store stuff
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 10:46pm
They are the seals with your first link. Thank you.
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 11:30pm
Here's a third link to just the seals

link

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic