NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damn rocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damn rocks
    Posted: July-30-2019 at 1:01am
Hey gang, I am looking for a little advice/insight from you all. I took out my 79 Ski Tique this weekend and towards the end of the day, the prop hit something under water, either a log or a rock. (it was a "all clear" area which really frustrates). The prop needs some repair, but after impact, I could no longer find neutral. Forward and reverse still worked fine, but there was no in between at all. Any thoughts if this is coincidental or what I have to do to get neutral back? Hoping this Sounds like a cable as opposed to a transmission issue?

Thanks in advance, Eric
'79 Skitique - first boat
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 1:05am
The easy way to find out if it's a cable issue would be to disconnect the cable at the transmission shift lever and try shifting from forward or reverse into neutral using the shift lever on the transmission and see what that tells you
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 1:28am
Meaning wether the cable moves? Is there such a thing as it being stretched out?
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 2:40am
Assuming it was working fine before impact....then impact, now doesn't work......I'm taking a wild guess that the impact caused it.    ;- )

Follow the suggestion: disconnect the shift control cable at the transmission, then shift "manually" by moving the lever itself, thereby eliminating the cable altogether.

My guess, unfortunately, is that the sudden impact caused internal damage....
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 8:02pm
Did the engine shut off due to the impact? chances are your trans took the brunt of the impact. Which way does the the shaft turn while in neutral? If it drags in neutral you did internal damage to the trans probably warping the forward clutch pack. We rebuild these on a daily basis and see this all the time from impacts
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 12:23am
Sorry for the delayed reply.   Didn't have time to get to this till today.   

No, the engine didn't shut off.   I immediately put it in neutral on impact for a "WTF moment".    Then back into forward, and it went just fine, though with a lot of vibration as the prop got chewed up.

Today, I got back at it, and disconnected the shaft (sorry for lack of proper vocabulary) so I wasn't turning the prop dry.   In neutral it does rotate slightly, but I was told by SkiDim that if it can be stopped by hand (or a piece of wood), then it's okay..   Though rotating, it easily stopped, so I figured (hoped) it was okay, and decided to take the boat out to see what it did in water.   Off the bat, the prop wouldn't engage in reverse, but worked forward.   Trolled about as bit thinking I'd see if it would go into neutral and reverse.    Went into reverse, and neutral, but not forward.   Finally got forward back, and lost reverse.    Fun docking like this, but I managed. After all this, I have to think you're spot on that it's the clutch pack.

Ordered the transmission overhaul kit from SkiDim, and looking for an inboard boat repair.   Which brings me too... just how hard is the rebuild?   I've done it on cars (66 mustang), but is a boat transmission (Velvet Drive 1:1) repair recommended for pros only?

Thanks in advance!

FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 12:59am
There pretty straight forward.. if you’ve rebuilt automotive transmissions then it should be a piece of cake. Give us a call if you have questions and I’ll be more then happy to answer any questions you might have. 330-273-8291
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 7:12am
So it sounds like your transmission works in Forward, works in Neutral and works in Reverse just not all 3 when they're supposed to. They all take turns working per your description.

It's possessed and has a mind of it's own   

Did you try the suggestion to disconnect the cable and shift it locally at the transmission?

It takes about a minute or 2 to check.

Then after that you can decide it's broken internally

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 7:19am
Eric,
I recommend you purchase a new damper plate. They are inexpensive and always a good idea to R&R when you pull a trans. From your description of your testing, I feel there's a chance that the plate is damaged and the trans is still good.

Damper plate for a Velvet Drive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 8:11am
If you've gotten a C4 back together right, you should be able to get this back together right
The trick is identifying all the damage

Or one could hand it off to FF and be assured it will be turnkey
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 8:24am
Eric,
It's always a good idea to ask here first before ordering parts.

There are less expensive (30%) alternates for the same.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 9:03am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Eric,

You only think it's the same Pete

It's missing some pieces that come in the SkiDim kit, but you can find the same Alto kit that SkiDim sells for around 160 at Ebasicpower

A little research will tell you the difference

Or buying the less complete one like I once did, also tells you the difference.
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 11:02am
Yeah. We tried that. I was having some other carb hiccups, and checked/adjusted the cable as it was a bit off... but I did, in the water, give it a go, and no go.

I should've said the only way I could get it to engage in forward (I had to do this twice) was push the throttle more than comfortable, and then it'd catch.   Fun!
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 11:07am
8122pbrainard - Interesting RE the damper plate. I just realized that I have a Marine engine/trans shop in my town (which is REALLY random) and they specialize in Velvet Drive transmission rebuilds. I think I'm going to do it myself to save the $700, but I wonder if they can look at the damper plate once removed, and tell me if bad or not.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 11:09am
Originally posted by edamario edamario wrote:

Yeah. We tried that. I was having some other carb hiccups, and checked/adjusted the cable as it was a bit off... but I did, in the water, give it a go, and no go.

I should've said the only way I could get it to engage in forward (I had to do this twice) was push the throttle more than comfortable, and then it'd catch.   Fun!

Eric,
I'm confused. Maybe it's your wording? Did you do as Ken suggested? "locally at the transmission"?

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Did you try the suggestion to disconnect the cable and shift it locally at the transmission?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 11:12am
whoops. 8122pbrainard = Pete.   Sorry about that.

Thanks Pete.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 3:54pm

8122pbrainard - Interesting RE the damper plate. I just realized that I have a Marine engine/trans shop in my town (which is REALLY random) and they specialize in Velvet Drive transmission rebuilds. I think I'm going to do it myself to save the $700, but I wonder if they can look at the damper plate once removed, and tell me if bad or not.   

If the damper plate is bad, you'll need assistance from no one to figure that out, it'll be terribly obvious.

Any strange loud grating noises when the transmission decides to go into whatever gear it wants to?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 4:47pm
Eric,
Are you getting any unusual noises?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 6:02pm
Not at all.   The engine sounds fantastic, and when working the transmission sounds just fine.   It's just a violent clunk at too high an RPM when it finally jams into gear.   Once going, it's 100% normal sounding.   Weird, right?

As it's $300 for the parts (plus my mechanic minded father who's thankfully free) I think a full rebuild is in short order.   Stopped by marineenging.com to discuss (they are in my town amazingly) and while they do superb work, and would rebuild for $850, I just can't stomach another $850 into this boat. It's become the proverbial "hole in the water...."

Ha. I'll take pics through the rebuild & share. Should actually be fun I think.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 6:29pm
This may be some help- Velvet drive rebuild
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 6:32pm

Not at all.   The engine sounds fantastic, and when working the transmission sounds just fine.   It's just a violent clunk at too high an RPM when it finally jams into gear.   Once going, it's 100% normal sounding.   Weird, right?

Weird? Maybe not. Besides trying to shift the trans at the trans shift lever, I think you had better review how to adjust the shift cables. Courtesy of Alan via Gary.
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

There's a procedure to follow for properly adjusting your cables. Give these steps a try and you should be good to go.

1. Disconnect cables at trans and carb

2. At the morse control disconnect both cables and rotate the brass pin connector so there is approx 1/8" of thread showing at the cable end. Reconnect both cables to the morse.

3.At the transmission, place the transmission bracket(the one that the cable attached to) in neutral. You may have to move it back and forth to feel exactly where neutral is but it should detent in the center of travel. Once you find a firn neutral connect your trans cable.

4. Step 4 is the magic. Go back to the morse control and with the transmission engage button in, move the throttle lever to the forward engage detent. Just move it forward and it should lock into the forward position firmly, stop whne it does so. Now go to the carb, adjust the cable connector so the throttle cable smoothly attaches to the carb stud without moving the throttle. You are done.

This sequence works for me everytime with NO tweaking if you do it right.

The trick is you must have the throttle in the forward (or Reverse) detent BEFORE trying to attach the cable at the carb.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Eric,

You only think it's the same Pete

It's missing some pieces that come in the SkiDim kit, but you can find the same Alto kit that SkiDim sells for around 160 at Ebasicpower

A little research will tell you the difference

Or buying the less complete one like I once did, also tells you the difference.

So Pete

Did you just blow this off and decide to ignore the error in your ways ?

I'll assume you did, so I'll post a link to the more complete kit that includes the steel and the bronze clutch plates so that all the clutch plates can be replaced.

You should educate yourself on what a banner kit is

For the next guy who might be wondering, here's the link

link
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 10:53pm
Busted clutch disc. Rebuild is cake. Just don't do it on the kitchen table unless you're single or wish to be.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2019 at 1:39am
@baitkiller
Part 1, no.
Part 2, hmmm.

@Pete -
I hear you on adjusting the cable, and had done so. When it died in the water, we tossed back the engine cover, disconnected and tried to do it manually at the trans.   N0 go there either.

Appreciate the advice, and will file it away as it's super thorough, but I'm putting money on the rebuild. Kitchen table or not.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2019 at 7:31am
Do you have a manual to use for the job or are you just wingin' it?
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2019 at 5:38pm
Winging it sounds like a bad idea. No, I chatted up a few shops, and am doing with someone who's done many auto transmissions in the past. I've found a schematic,. and will keep digging pre doing the job for sure, but it doesn't look much more difficult than a C4 transmission, but looks can be deceiving.

Do you have something to share?;)

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2019 at 5:44pm

Nah, just asking

You could try the link below though from the CCF reference section

link

It's easier than a C4 but it's good to have the manual.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2019 at 5:49pm
You can find later versions of the manual on line also.

One other little thing....................count the number of clutch plates you take out and put the same number back in otherwise it'll be all bound up and constipated

That applies to the forward and also the reverse clutches.

The kit has more plates than you'll need.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2019 at 5:55pm
I repaired mine with no transmission background, it was 25 years ago but it worked great after the fix, I only had a picture of the tranny parts to go by when I did mine.
It has been a long time but I remember it being pretty easy.   At that time West Coast Correct Craft was right down the street for me and had all parts on the shelf. Back then it was easy to unbolt and lift out the tranny for repair.   Might be much harder 25 years later.
I would probably need a lift to get it out safely.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2019 at 9:31pm

Winging it sounds like a bad idea. No, I chatted up a few shops, and am doing with someone who's done many auto transmissions in the past. I've found a schematic,. and will keep digging pre doing the job for sure, but it doesn't look much more difficult than a C4 transmission, but looks can be deceiving.

Whats wrong with the link I shared ??
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic