NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damn rocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2019 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Whats wrong with the link I shared ??

It looks great to me. Too bad one of us didn't do it. It would have been a great addition in the FAQ thread.
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

This may be some help- Velvet drive rebuild

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2019 at 10:06pm
Now if you use my link and Gary's link together, when Wouter refers to pieces with their reference number in the manual you know just what he's talking about

Teamwork Gary

As long as he's referring to the same manual it'll be good

Wouter didn't  disassemble the forward piston and cylinder and replace those seals though.
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2019 at 3:09pm
Ha Pete. Sorry - thats part of my arsenal... along with the Velvet Drive manual which amazingly has break down & rebuild step by step.    Thanks for the tip on the number of clutches.   That would have got me scratching my head for sure.

Mark - really happy to hear you had success with no previous experience. I was mildly considering buying a rebuild for $850... but seems silly as I have the tools and the time.

Thanks guys - Eric

'79 Skitique - first boat
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 11:37am
Hey Gary -

Before I take the transmission out, Im giving your cable adjustment more thought. Didn't make sense to me as all was fine "pre-rock", but on further inspection, I found that when in forward at the morse, the bracket on the transmission was about 3/8" from "all the way forward".   Re-adjusted, and tested out of water.   Seems to be working now?!?   Will test in water this weekend, but I'm cautiously optimistic that I may not have to rebuild after all!   I'll let you know.

One more for you... while testing, I noticed the engine was getting VERY hot to touch (my dash gauge wasn't working).   I ordered & will replace the water pump impeller as the exhaust isn't expelling water like it should.   Question for you (or anyone else).. I've read on here that there are two impellers? Where is the second? Again, I'm running a PMC302.

Thank you in advance.

Eric
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 12:11pm
two impellers on most Chryslers, not Fords
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 12:29pm
It seems like a long time back it was mentioned by more than one person to disconnect the cable and shift it locally.

It's hard to figure out if you did or didn't do that but if you did and it wasn't right, then all the cable adjustment in the world won't fix things.

So.............. did you shift it locally and have no problems?
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2019 at 12:39am
I had shifted locally (not in water)... but was "searching' for neutral at the time.   Once found, I set the cable base on neutral, vs ensuring forward on the shifter actually pushed the lever on the transmission ALL THE WAY forward.   My mistake clearly.

Out of water, it now seems fine. Putting in this weekend and will know for sure then. Frustrated with myself if it's as simple as that... but would be happy to not have to rebuild I suppose.   TBD.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2019 at 2:17pm
I'm kinda curious how this turned out after your weekend or 2 have passed by
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2019 at 3:21pm
Running dry out of the water will quickly eat your impeller.
These boats do not allow a quick dry start on the trailer.
If not in water the impeller self destructs.
Sounds like your tranny may be Ok, that would be a bonus.
Might look into what changed to cause the cable to be out of adjustment.
Normally you set them once and they are pretty much good till the cable fails.
Unless working on some other project you bumped or damaged the system.
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2019 at 11:00pm
Okay - 2 weeks gone by, and the transmission was NOT an issue.   Once the cable was adjusted, it is just fine. I'm guessing that the impact of my little prop hit did something to the adjustment... but thats just a guess. Of course, one problem reveals another. Now that I've gotten to take the boat out a few times, I've a reoccurring issue.   Runs GREAT art first.   Then if I stop for a swim etc (which I do with my kids) and restart 30min or so later, it runs, but starts choking itself back at anything over 15mph.   Going to replace the electronic choke on the carb, and noticed that when my points were switched over, they'd not upgraded the Mallroy ignition coil, which I think IS the issue.   Just ordered a flamethrower 1.5... betting this resolves the choke out.   I hope at least!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2019 at 9:12am
I suppose "choking itself back" doesn't tell a whole lot, but if you do your choke and coil change, it's a start and maybe you'll fix it
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2019 at 12:02pm
Update for you Keno.

What I was experiencing (choking back) was the ending somewhat cutting out, on acceleration. Not electrically, but literally the engine feeling like it just wasn't getting what it needed. Air, gas, Elec... I don't konw how to explain it.   You'd push the throttle and it would just choke at anything over 10mph.

That said, Turin out it WAS electrical. When the points were switched out to electronic, the ignition coil was not updated. Replaced the coil and it runs like a complete champ now. I think what was happening was the coil was overheating, so not sending spark to the plugs, which were then not doing their job, and so on.

I realize my description is kinda bunk... but long story... when updating your distributor from points, you gotta update your coil. Lesson learned:)

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2019 at 8:40pm
Glad it's running good

Numerous times on the forum here, me and some others have said something along the lines of "if you think it's a fuel problem check the ignition system and vice versa"

It surprising how many times that saying has worked to solve a problem that has somebody stumped.

It's a good saying to remember

I learned it from an old fart a long, long time ago

A lot of conversions are done with the old coil staying in use with no problem, but it may have just been the end of the coils life no matter what ignition system it was feeding.

It's a good idea to get a new coil to go with the electronic conversion though

So..............what is your electronic conversion and what is the new coil (brand and part number) just to be sure they're "properly matched"

Now you can get the kids out in the boat again.
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2019 at 9:55pm
I hear ignition system and I think "starting", aka the ignition switch. I didn't really understand what a coil did once the boat was started. The answer was probably right in front of my face... but fun thing about all this is learning plenty of new stuff. Now I know a bit more:)

The conversion kit was the Sierra Marine 5299
The coil I put in is a PerTronix 40011 Flame-Thrower 40,000 Volt 1.5 ohm Coil

Hoping this doesn't raise any red flags!

Bummer that I'm "up & running" just in time for the off season, but till some time to go.

Onto the next topic, I've got some soft spots in my floor which I may remove/replace over the winter.   Seems the recommend is if you're replacing the floor, you should replace the stringers.   Would you agree? Seems like a very big job. I'm actually solid with carpentry, but pulling the engine etc fives me some serious pause.   Thoughts? How do you konw if they are "bad".... and I saw someone mentioned saturated foam.   Just how big a job is this?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2019 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by edamario edamario wrote:

The conversion kit was the Sierra Marine 5299
The coil I put in is a PerTronix 40011 Flame-Thrower 40,000 Volt 1.5 ohm Coil

Hoping this doesn't raise any red flags!

No red flags

The Sierra kit is really a rebranded Pertronix and the 1.5 ohm Pertronix coil is a good match for it.
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2019 at 1:13am
Disregard stringer comment.   There's PLENTY of info on this site.   Reading away...

Thanks for confirming the coil/ignition pairing:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic