NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Tale of 3 Prop Repairs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Tale of 3 Prop Repairs
    Posted: July-30-2019 at 9:48am
A few years back I dinged my 1579 prop by drifting over a launch ramp curb . Zero MPH idle speed just put it in gear and bang. Bent one blade no other damage . I took it to the local prop shop [Pure Performance Marine & Propeller] for repair . After 165.00 prop looked like new again so I thought? First time out a distinct vibration . I called the prop shop and was told there was no way it was the prop it was probably the cutlass bearing ? I took the prop off and made a cast of one of the none repaired blades. Then applied the cast to the other blades it fit perfect on all three but the one that was repaired it didn't fit at all. Called the shop again and told him what I did after some strong words and the threat of buying a new prop to see if it would fix it he agreed to look at it again. When returned it worked pretty well but still had a tiny shudder when coming out of the hole.

A few years later it hit the trailer loading again 0 MPH and idle speed .No way was I going back to the local shop so I sent it to Acme for repair. Upon return it worked pretty well but still had that slight shudder in the steering wheel out of the hole especially when loaded . It always bothered me but over all it ran smooth.

I met a guy at the Atlanta boat show last year from [ Lake Lanier Propeller LLC ] He told me that he would check it using a computer measuring system that would find any flaws over the entire prop not just the blades. I brought him a three blade off of my Supra no damage just a very slight vibration. He checked it out and found some slight issues and tweaked it back to spec . It worked perfect no more vibration best 165.00 I ever spent. So I then brought him the 1579 again no damage to be seen it was the same as when Acme repaired it. He checked it out and said it was off a little and he could get it back the spec. My first mistake was never asking how much it would be I assumed it would be around 165.00 like all the other prop repairs. When they called for pick up the price was 295.00 seemed high for a prop with no visible signs of damage but I agreed. When I picked it up I told them I could buy a new prop for 390.00 and if I had known the price I wouldn't have fixed it but that is my bad. After installing it I went out only to find the same shutter in the wheel out of the hole 295.00 for nothing. Now I was concerned it was the cutlass bearing or rudder but couldn't find and movement to back up the suspicion . Ran that way for years very small problem not worth trying to find. I recently did a side job for cash and ordered a new 1579 from Delta tried it this weekend NO more vibration runs smoother than it has in years. I guess if you want to take a chance on a repair go ahead but if its not perfect when you get it back just buy a new prop you will be money ahead.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 1:13pm
I need to get into the prop repair business. Holy cow
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 2:40pm
man..as much money as you put into that prop, you could have almost purchased two new ones.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 8:24am
Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

man..as much money as you put into that prop, you could have almost purchased two new ones.

I know 165.00 is doable but in this case there is something just not right with the prop and all attempts to repair it overlooked the cause of the vibration. It is a very slight problem most would not feel it but it always bothered me. I feel the last repair was just out of line .When the cost of repair is 3/4 the cost of new you are either a thief or just in the wrong business.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 5:24pm
I had my 224 Acme repaired in Sacramento and the bill was $265, it was not as smooth and I lost some speed, 2-3 MPH. I purchased a 422 from Acme for around $365 I think last year and it runs perfectly smooth. Like you I wish I had tossed the first prop and bought the new one up front.
I will say that 4 years ago the same prop shop worked on the 224 and did a very good job it ran smooth and had zero issues. Maybe it is not exact science repairing these props.
In the old days when I was in my 20's with my first Nautique if we hit something you went home and got out two ball pen hammers and tapped away till it looked right again.
One hammer used as the back up and the other to hit where you needed to move metal.
At times this worked on small repairs..
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I had my 224 Acme repaired in Sacramento and the bill was $265, it was not as smooth and I lost some speed, 2-3 MPH. I purchased a 422 from Acme for around $365 I think last year and it runs perfectly smooth. Like you I wish I had tossed the first prop and bought the new one up front.
I will say that 4 years ago the same prop shop worked on the 224 and did a very good job it ran smooth and had zero issues. Maybe it is not exact science repairing these props.
In the old days when I was in my 20's with my first Nautique if we hit something you went home and got out two ball pen hammers and tapped away till it looked right again.
One hammer used as the back up and the other to hit where you needed to move metal.
At times this worked on small repairs..

Sadly I have long considered the acme props disposable. I have sent a few back to Acme and they are never the same when they come back - even if they get them relatively smooth they lose top speed.   They would be alright for a back up prop for skiing speeds but not awesome.   I have more money in replacement props for my boat than I paid for the boat.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 5:44pm
Acme props are second on my list right after ARE prop shafts for disposable expensive stuff.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 3:47am
They are BOATS ( Break Out Another Thousand $ Stupid )
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 9:34am
I have experienced several Acme props that were inadequately repaired for sure... usually second hand purchases. Vibration and/or lacking proper performance. My suspect the competency of the shop doing the repair has a lot to do with it- as well as how badly the prop was damaged in the first place, of course.

I have also had a couple of props repaired that ran (and continue to run) awesome. No vibrations and still pushing my BFN as fast as they should... well beyond what most ski boat props are asked to do. One was repaired by Acme- though of course they don’t do the actual repair themselves- so who knows how many shops they sub out to. Luck of the draw perhaps?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 10:38am
Luck of the draw is easy enough to take at a third of the cost of new for a repair... Some of these guys see the 695 list price marinas are getting for these things and decide they want 2/3rds the cost of new - which is a tough pill to swallow for anything less than a sure thing.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 10:47am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

.. Some of these guys see the 695 list price marinas are getting for these things

Yes, the very last place to shop for anything marine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 10:57am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

One was repaired by Acme- though of course they don’t do the actual repair themselves- so who knows how many shops they sub out to. Luck of the draw perhaps?

Both of mine went to Acme so this statement probably applies to my experience but I'm 0 for 2 getting them back to original. Performance was fine but they both rumble slightly at throttle up in a loaded condition. one is a back up(which has been dinged again) and the other turned a partially submerged piece of wood into toothpicks and ended up in the scrap pile, problem solved.

I've hit more crap in the river in the last three years than in 40 years of boating
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 11:19am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I've hit more crap in the river in the last three years than in 40 years of boating

Alan,
On which boat or both? I'm curious, what prop are you running on the Hurricane? was the original a 12" dia.?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Alan,
On which boat or both? I'm curious, what prop are you running on the Hurricane? was the original a 12" dia.?

This is on the 200, I don't run the Hurricane in the river much.
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 1:42am
So.........do any of you guys actually have a prop repair shop that you trust? I have a couple of small dings in a spare that I'd like to get worked out.

Maybe I'll just go the old ball peen hammer route.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 2:22am
Originally posted by KFD14 KFD14 wrote:

So.........do any of you guys actually have a prop repair shop that you trust? I have a couple of small dings in a spare that I'd like to get worked out.

Maybe I'll just go the old ball peen hammer route.

Fox Lake Propeller. Actually located in Spring Grove, IL
peglegtoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peglegtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 9:28pm
Unfortunately I whacked an acme prop last weekend in the shallow access river to our lake.

Any recommendations on prop repair in Mass, CT or southern New Hampshire?   

I was thinking about bringing it to H and H in salem but am wary.

I assume it will never be the same.

thanks.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 10:16pm
Ok, so I dinged up my 422 last week and a crappy launch... Nailed 3 of 4 blade tips. Easily hammered back, but I thought of sending it out for repair to use as a backup, and I'll order a new one...

Now this thread has me rethinking a repair...
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2020 at 5:01am
Based on my experience I would order a new one for daily use and hammer out the damaged one for a spare.
The exact same shop repaired my 224 Acme twice. First time, great job, absolutely perfect. Second time I was not happy and lost 2-3 mph.   Second time was bent worse so maybe there is something in that to learn.
The new one just makes you smile. Worth the $400 bones. I did switch to the 422 this time but I think overall I liked the 224 in my boat before it was damaged. A little more top speed with no noticeable loss of power down low. We run at 500 or 2,000 ft elevation.
Both the 422 and 224 worked great in the 95 Ski Nautique hull with 310 HP.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic