Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop shaft coupling alignment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop shaft coupling alignment
    Posted: August-01-2019 at 1:32am
Hey CCF,

I just finished replacing the cutlass bearing in the strut on my 1999 Sport. The shaft that was in the boat was not a double taper so I had to cut it out. I was also unable to remove the engine/trans in my garage. Anyways, the new double taper shaft was a breeze to install and torque to spec. My question is, since I did not move the engine, trans, or strut in any way, what would the coupling alignment procedure look like? The shaft flange butt up flush with the trans flange with little force. I used a feeler gauge with hub bolts finger tight and I could not slip the thinnest feeler in any portion of the hub. Does this mean I am properly aligned? Thanks for the help!
1999 Longhorn Nautique
1995 Nautique Super Sport
https://www.instagram.com/longhorn_nautique/
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 4:10am
The bolts need to be loose so they don't affect the flange fit. Then check with your feeler gauges. I always try to get my fit below .002. Last time I was under .0015.

You did not mention the size of your smallest feeler gauge.
I think .003 is considered the high side of acceptable but tighter is always better.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 7:52am
Originally posted by DHMcFadin DHMcFadin wrote:

Hey CCF,
I used a feeler gauge with hub bolts finger tight and I could not slip the thinnest feeler in any portion of the hub. Does this mean I am properly aligned?

Dominic,
No, you missed the concept. The .003 is the max DIFFERENCE side to side and top to bottom. This indicates the faces are parallel which in turn indicates any angular misalignment of the shaft to the trans/engine. IE, the shaft needs to run straight back from the trans/engine. Also, keep in mind that alignment starts at the strut. The strut needs to be aligned first so the prop shaft runs close to center in the log side to side top to bottom when the shaft turns freely in the cutlass. Then the trans/engine is aligned to the shaft. Considering how your cutlass was so worn, I highly recommend you start over with the alignment and, at the strut.

BTW, don't assume that the alignment was correct just because you didn't move the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 11:00am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Hey CCF,
I used a feeler gauge with hub bolts finger tight and I could not slip the thinnest feeler in any portion of the hub. Does this mean I am properly aligned?

Dominic,
No, you missed the concept. The .003 is the max DIFFERENCE side to side and top to bottom. This indicates the faces are parallel which in turn indicates any angular misalignment of the shaft to the trans/engine. IE, the shaft needs to run straight back from the trans/engine. Also, keep in mind that alignment starts at the strut. The strut needs to be aligned first so the prop shaft runs close to center in the log side to side top to bottom when the shaft turns freely in the cutlass. Then the trans/engine is aligned to the shaft. Considering how your cutlass was so worn, I highly recommend you start over with the alignment and, at the strut.

BTW, don't assume that the alignment was correct just because you didn't move the engine.

Thank you for the insight. My smallest feeler is .0015. The only reason I assumed the alignment was good was 1. The cutlass bearing that came out was evenly worn. 2. The prop shaft had no grooves or marking around the shaft log. 3. The boat ran smooth prior to the cutlass bearings needing to be replaced. I only replaced the shaft because I wasn’t able to remove the engine and trans and the boat didn’t have a double taper shaft.

But I will disassemble everything and re-check using your instructions. I appreciate the help very much!
1999 Longhorn Nautique
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 11:02am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

The bolts need to be loose so they don't affect the flange fit. Then check with your feeler gauges. I always try to get my fit below .002. Last time I was under .0015.

You did not mention the size of your smallest feeler gauge.
I think .003 is considered the high side of acceptable but tighter is always better.

Thanks for the reply. My smallest feeler is .0015. I will disassemble and re-verify! This is why I love this forum! Thank you!
1999 Longhorn Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 11:38am

Thank you for the insight. My smallest feeler is .0015. The only reason I assumed the alignment was good was 1. The cutlass bearing that came out was evenly worn. 2. The prop shaft had no grooves or marking around the shaft log. 3. The boat ran smooth prior to the cutlass bearings needing to be replaced. I only replaced the shaft because I wasn’t able to remove the engine and trans and the boat didn’t have a double taper shaft.

But I will disassemble everything and re-check using your instructions. I appreciate the help very much!

Dominic,
To possibly clear up any confusion, let me explain checking for the max .003" difference another way.. Lets say you use a .010"feeler gauge and on one side it's tight between the flanges. Then, the max reading on the other side between the flanges should be no more than .013" or no less than .007".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 11:42am

Dominic,
To possibly clear up any confusion, let me explain checking for the max .003" difference another way.. Lets say you use a .010"feeler gauge and on one side it's tight between the flanges. Then, the max reading on the other side between the flanges should be no more than .013" or no less than .007".

OHHHHHHH

Thank you for clarifying that! It’s not the I need to rely on the smallest feeling, it’s that whatever size I use needs to “feel” the same all the way around.

Sorry for making that difficult!
1999 Longhorn Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 11:54am

OHHHHHHH
Thank you for clarifying that! It’s not the I need to rely on the smallest feeling, it’s that whatever size I use needs to “feel” the same all the way around.

I had a feeling!!

Dominic,
No, you missed the concept. The .003 is the max DIFFERENCE side to side and top to bottom.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 12:03pm

OHHHHHHH

I had a feeling!!

Dominic,
No, you missed the concept. The .003 is the max DIFFERENCE side to side and top to bottom.

No pun intended? Lol
1999 Longhorn Nautique
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 4:28pm
WE just remove the strut to replace the bushing. No need to remove the shaft
woodyelc
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 8:18pm
I’m glad y’all told me to check. The engine needs to come down and to the right. It’s more than .004 out of tolerance. Looking from behind the trans, I can fit .004 at the top and left side of the coupling but can’t fit .0015 on the right and bottom. Will have to adjust.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 8:43pm
Dominic,
Aligning the engine to the shaft can at times be frustrating. As an example, when you move the engine, the centerline of the trans output shaft can change. Think out the moves in your head before making the actual adjustment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 9:06pm

Dominic,
Aligning the engine to the shaft can at times be frustrating. As an example, when you move the engine, the centerline of the trans output shaft can change. Think out the moves in your head before making the actual adjustment.

Thanks! I think I will also be battling the old motor mounts as well. I thought about replacing those too but the rubber spacers don’t have any cracking and feel soft/supple so I think they are ok. Penetrating oil will be my friend.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 1:09am
Also, if you have the means to take some of the weight off the mounts (via Hoist, cherry-picker, or other) it greatly simplifies the process. Even lifting a corner helps greatly, esp. with lateral adjustment, which it sounds you may need.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 1:33am
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Also, if you have the means to take some of the weight off the mounts (via Hoist, cherry-picker, or other) it greatly simplifies the process. Even lifting a corner helps greatly, esp. with lateral adjustment, which it sounds you may need.

I unfortunately don’t have any of those handy but thanks for the suggestion.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 1:43am
Out of curiosity, since I am loose on the top, would I drop the rear of the engine or raise the front? Or do I need to look at the shaft log to see which way up or down?
1999 Longhorn Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 4:04am
If you have not already done this you should remove all the bolts at the coupling, back off the shaft enough so it sits free, it will sag a little due to its weight. Watch and see where it wants to sit naturally.
Now spin the shaft, you may need to lubricate your cutlass in the strut.
Find the spot where your shaft spins most freely. We refer to this as the Happy Spot.
This will probably be a spot where you are lifting slightly on the front of the shaft while turning the shaft. You can cut a short piece of 2x4 wood and use it as a support to support the front of your shaft in the Happy Spot once you find it. I cut a small V in my piece of 2x4 to help hold the shaft. I think mine was about 4.5 inches long with a V cut at the top.
The bottom of the boat is tapered and if your 2x4 is the right height you can slip it forward or aft till it supports the shaft perfectly. Now align the engine to the shaft in this position.
If the shaft is in the Happy Spot there will be no stress on it when it is connected.
Aligned properly the shaft when connected will spin with little effort. I have the plastic cutlass which does reduce drag but my shaft spins with one finger easily.
To answer your question on how to lower the rear at the coupling you can play with it and do what works for your boat. I was able to move mine, I lubricated each of the adjustment threads and the pinch bolts and shafts that needed to slide. I think I actually tapped a flat blade screwdriver into one of the pinch bolt slots to open it slightly. Tapping on the mount also helped encourage them to slide as needed.
A bad alignment will force you to grab a blade with a full hand and muscle it to turn.
Plan to spend 3 hours fine tuning, with this in your head if you get it done in 2 hours you will be excited. It can take time.
Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic