NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Lift Motor Parts Repair - Shorestation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Lift Motor Parts Repair - Shorestation
    Posted: August-06-2019 at 10:52am
Boat Lift Parts Repair - Finding Parts - Shorestation Hoist Motor - lift is rated 4k lbs

My hoist motor wiring is in need of some maintenance, motor is 12v friction style, keep a separate battery on the Pier to power it.

In need of some replacement parts and if I get them thru SS it's getting a bit $$$
Any idea where I might find the following all in one place.
-12v Quick disconnect similar to the attached pic, need 2
not certain how this goes together, looks like you put the contacts on the wire then insert in plastic connector??
-Fuse, looks like a 42a or a 30a breaker is what SS uses, thoughts on which size and wire appears to be 10-12ga. need 1
-Ring Terminals 10-12ga, what stud size, #8 or 10?. Need 4

Does the fuse go on the + side? white wire + and black wire - ??

Parts are all here thru SS:
https://www.boatliftanddock.com/category/179/motor-parts?SortBy=DisplayOrder&SortOrder=ASC&Page=2&PageSize=24

Pete, the connector image is from HD however could only find 6-8 ga wiring versions
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2019 at 1:51pm
Mr Quinn

EBAY is your friend, here's a link to some of those connectors that the listing says fit from 8 to 12 gauge wiring

link

It's kinda like an aptitude test assembling them, I can do it so you'll have no problem. Buy 2 extras just in case

You have to crimp the connectors on to the wire

The fuse would go on the positive side, cut the wire and put the fuse in.

You could probably find a fuse and ring terminals locally pretty easily and you could get ring terminals to fit the fuse holder that way.

Maybe Pete will stop at Auto Zone on his way home and check for ya'

What's the full load amp rating on the motor? I'd get a fuse sized for that rating or less. The connectors are good for 50 amps
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2019 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Mr Quinn I can do it so you'll have no problem. Buy 2 extras just in case

He has a well equipped tool box too. Might not help with the job at hand (no pun intended) but it will get him through it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 10:18am
Thanks Mr Ken, Did not get home until after dark last night so will need to take a look at the motor today sometime.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 10:24am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Mr Quinn
You have to crimp the connectors on to the wire

Chris,
I also recommend sweating (soldering) the connectors besides crimping. Trust me, I've been there.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 12:22pm
Motor is 1/2hp 40 amps. What fuse size do u guy think?

Pete, was hoping you would chime in, are those connectors available at HD in the heavier ga??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 4:05pm
Chris,
McMaster has the full range of battery connections.

Click on "North American Style Battery Charging Cable Connectors "

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 5:06pm
Chris,
You mention the motor is a 40 amp. I'm assuming that's the FLA (full load amp) rating so, I'd go with a 60 amp fuse.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 5:34pm
Take that crank motor off and do it by hand like a real man.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2019 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

do it by hand like a real man.

uh.....just could not resist....

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2019 at 11:32am
Thanks for the assist boys, Ken those connectors actually snapped in quite easily, ended up finding the correct gauge at HD, same as the pic above with the rubber boots.
Still using the old fuse as I have not found one locally yet.
Pete do I really want a 60a fuse not a 40a or less as Ken mentioned?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2019 at 6:13pm
Chris,
Fuses are always sized over the FLA of the load especially with motors that have an inrush current when starting. Depending on the type of fuse used determines the % of the oversizing. The fuse is there to protect the wiring more than the motor. If your lift never gets to the FLA of 40 amps and the fuse is holding, keep using it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic