Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alrernator conversion kit from SKIDIM

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KCH6209 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCH6209 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alrernator conversion kit from SKIDIM
    Posted: August-11-2019 at 12:09pm
Trying to see if any one has done the alternator conversion kit from SKIDIM. I have an 82 SN 2001 and need to replace alternator and voltage regulator. It looks like the kit contains a whole new wiring harness for the motor and a bracket to mount new alternator.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2019 at 3:56pm
The kit has everything you need except a set of instructions based on what I know based on a conversation with someone who bought the harness to rewire his older engine.

I might be wrong, so you should call SkiDim and check with them

If you're comfortable with wiring it shouldn't be a problem
robertbruder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 3:57pm
I didn't have to do the full conversion kit for my '88 but I did put in the new alternator part from SkiDim. It seems to be working correctly, I just think I have another issue with power drain. Installing a battery shut off switch next until I can fully trace it out.
Current: 1988 Sierra Supreme
Past: 1986 Correct Craft Martinique, 1984 Ski Supreme, 1984 Bare Foot Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by robertbruder robertbruder wrote:

Installing a battery shut off switch next until I can fully trace it out.

Rob,
Have you done any parasitic load testing?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Installing a battery shut off switch next until I can fully trace it out.

Rob,
Have you done any parasitic load testing?

...and remember that no battery = no bilge pump
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

...and remember that no battery = no bilge pump

Please explain.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 7:09pm
If the boat is left in the water with the battery shut off, it will not have a functioning automatic bilge pump.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 8:26pm
Zwoob

Don't mind Pete, he's just being his normal self

He'll probably say that the pump could be wired directly to the battery with a little creativity and a fuse and turning a master disconnect off wouldn't affect the bilge pump's operation if wired like that.

I'd just tell him that if you threw the battery overboard, the bilge pump won't work unless you have some real long battery cables
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

If the boat is left in the water with the battery shut off, it will not have a functioning automatic bilge pump.
Chris,
Thanks or the explanation. Now I'm embarrassed with not understanding what you were saying. I was still thinking about the parasitic load test trying to understand how it would work without a battery!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 11:10pm
The main reason I want to install the shut-off switch is for storage. My convertible has one and I shut it off for winter storage with a battery tender connected and it has been the best winter storage battery maintenance of anything I have owned.

Pete, I haven't done any parasitic testing yet. I can say that this has been a problem since I bought the boat in April. The first step was buy a new battery, second step was buy a new alternator, the third step was that the 40 AMP circuit breaker had a loose connection so that was definitely one major issue, so I replaced the circuit breaker and starter solenoid for good measure as well as the wire connecting between them. Also the ring terminal for my main battery needs to be replaced and recrimped (this one is on me).

Chris, my boat is on a lift and I go out after it rains to manually run the bilge so not real worried about auto-bilge.

Ken, why do you need to bypass to run the bilge when I can take my shop vac out to the dock to get any water out of the boat?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 11:12pm

Ken, why do you need to bypass to run the bilge when I can take my shop vac out to the dock to get any water out of the boat?

So many ways to get the water out of the boat

That shop vac sounds really really convenient and totally safe too if ya' know what I mean

Must be a battery powered shop vac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 11:32pm
Just wrap the extension cord plug with duct tape it's an insulator. 🤣
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 11:39pm
Why not just pull the drain plug once it’s on the lift to drain?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 11:54pm
Manual crank lift, crank rubs against the dock, and 90 percent of the time I don't bother fighting with getting it fully off the water. An electric lift conversion is on the short list. Until then may just have to use my portable air tank and air ratchet to crank it.
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2019 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

Why not just pull the drain plug once it’s on the lift to drain?

If your lift cable breaks and the plug is out, then your boat sinks. This is also why you should clip a line to the bow ring any time the boat is sitting on the lift - don't want it floating away if the lift fails. I lift mine out of the water, pull the plug to drain anything in the bilge, then put the plug back in and put the cover on. Cover and auto bilge keep it almost perfectly dry.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2019 at 5:57pm
Of course you should put the plug back in after it drains! I never store my boat with the plug removed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic