NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1982 Fuel tank ground wire

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1982 Fuel tank ground wire
    Posted: August-12-2019 at 5:07pm
Re-installing fuel tank. Have dual ground wire, one wire goes to sender, the other the fill plate.
But there is a tab/hole welded to tank. Don't have any more loose wires, but thought a ground went here, or does tank ground through the sender screws? Thx
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 5:09pm
Have seen both, either is fine.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 6:06pm
Got it...thanks for quick reply. Onward....
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 7:52pm
DC ground to tank tab or anywhere with good connection to the tank body. Ground jumper to metallic tank fill. Sender ground and sender signal wires to tank sender. Tank ground should not be used as a signal ground.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

. Sender ground and sender signal wires to tank sender. Tank ground should not be used as a signal ground.

Why not?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 11:19pm
They serve different purposes. The tank ground is there to equalize electrical potential of all metals in contact with fuel storage. I suppose they consider remote filter placements as low risk but I have noticed that European builds will ground remote filters as well. The USCG calls for I think 10 OHMs minimum but ABYC wants <1OHM.. Forgive me if I'm a little off on the number, Its been a few years but I'm pretty sure I'm right.. The standard is clear that the tank should not be used to chassis ground a sender or visa versa.
It is good practice to touch the fuel fill nozzle or gas can to the fill cap before removing the cap. Any differential will be equalized at that point, not when you tip the can into an empty, vapour filled tank. I have taken statements in the burn ward twice. Once from a plastic can and the other from a gas station / trailered boat configuration. Ever fill an airplane with gas? Better ground it. Same principle. I suppose the signal ground wire may not meet the resistance qualifier for the standard. I have never tested it actually. just a theory.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 11:28pm
So now I'm thinking...and trying not to overthink.
On this boat there was no ground wire directly to the tank "tab", nor a 'witness mark' indicating there ever was one.
I assume this was in compliance with regs of the day ('82).
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 11:28pm
Now I go over this I remember after the last burn ward trip I added a second ground jumper from the deck fill to the breast cleat on my fathers center console. He would rest the bottom the gas can against that cleat when filling anyway so it was an automatic safety. Sadly, both my dad and that boat are long gone.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

So now I'm thinking...and trying not to overthink.
On this boat there was no ground wire directly to the tank "tab", nor a 'witness mark' indicating there ever was one.
I assume this was in compliance with regs of the day ('82).

Probably green and 12 awg.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 11:33pm
The regs change constantly so don't beat yourself up over it. If your tank and deck fill read good continuity to DC ground your OK. Go skiing. What I spelled out is the best case, perfect example. All I do at work is put a meter on the tank and fill. I will call bull*************** on using sender screws for ground though as many have isolation washers.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2019 at 1:11am
What differentiates “DC ground” and “sender ground” in your mind?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2019 at 10:42am
DC ground originates at a main buss or battery negative and is intended to handle actual current. Sender ground originates at the instrument cluster or instrument or module and may be designed or intended to only carry reference current. Actual application may be of no difference or it may be of huge difference. Depends on how the boat was rigged. Is it electronic? Do you want your ECM reference ground handling what could be large voltage irregularities? Remember that the main DC ground will be effected by everything from voltage potential discharges to jumper cables on backwards etc etc. A nice little jolt through the N2K backbone or CAN bus may wreck your day. The standard is obtuse by design to cover that possibility as well as others.
Like I told MW. This is an old analog boat, just see if the tank and fill are grounded and go skiing. Just trying to help and never intended to put on a lecture.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic