Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Swim platform for 1967 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nknupp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nknupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swim platform for 1967 Mustang
    Posted: August-12-2019 at 10:36pm
I have read that the Mustang did not have a swim platform until 1978 however I am interested in putting one on my 1967. Any suggestions from someone who has done this much appreciated especially with regard to mounting hardware placement.
Nevil Knupp
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2019 at 1:39pm
I've been thinking about the same thing for my '68 Mustang. I'd use the boat a lot more if people could climb in/out on the water.

Alloy Marine has the measurements for swim platform brackets on these boats. I've contacted him and he was very helpful. They are expensive, but I like the idea of an easily removable platform.

I have a platform from a '78 American Skier that I sanded and refinished with teak oil. The width is correct but the Mustang has more curve to the stern, so the later platform will need to be cut. I have factory brackets from the '78 and another set that were removed from a '68 thanks to TRBenj. Haven't decided if I will use these or order new from Alloy.

Plan for this fall is to pull my gas tank and send it out for boiling/coating, While the tank is out I will fit the brackets. I'll use a sharpie to mark the water line on the hull before I pull the boat out of the water.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 2:58am
check out colin,s 1966 mustang/tealgreen color on classic correct craft,he is site administer,he added platform and looks great,
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
nknupp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nknupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 10:37am
Thanks. I am a newbie on this forum. When I search 1966 or Mustang or Colin all I find is your comment. Any search tips!
Nevil Knupp
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2019 at 1:32am
sorry the classic correct craft site is on facebook,
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
nknupp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nknupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2019 at 10:59am
Thanks! I just joined it.
Nevil Knupp
illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2019 at 12:05pm
I have a platform that n a 67 Starflite that I have been told is similar hull to the Baracuda. I had the platform made new a couple years ago as I broke the previous one. It has removable brackets that came off of a donor boat that I bought. I have started parting the Starflite out. If interested I could get some pictures or might have some on my computer at home.
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
nknupp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nknupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2019 at 1:25pm
Thank you. I am planning an install on a 1967 Mustang and I have no idea how similar that is to the Barracuda or Starflite??
Nevil Knupp
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2019 at 1:30pm
Not very... platform width may be close but the rise and swing on the brackets are likely quite different.

One vote for not adding a platform to a vintage 16’ boat. Looks bad and you’ll need to do quite a bit of reinforcing. I’ve de-platformed 2 60’s mustangs in recent years and the transom is quite a bit thinner than the 70’s boats that had platforms from the factory. The weight and flex can cause significant cracking.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2019 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

One vote for not adding a platform to a vintage 16’ boat. Looks bad .

Nevil,
Add another vote for no platform. Back in the era, we used to use over the gunnel ladders. They still make them and it won't destroy the looks of a classic 60's Mustang.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic