NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor "Flame-Thrower"

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Peacock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor "Flame-Thrower"
    Posted: August-13-2019 at 10:10am
I finally got a marine distributor for my 351-W. Now I have a few questions.
1) no vacuum advance on this "Billet" distributor. What should I set the idle timing at?
2) Where should the advance curve be set?
@ 2500 rpm - 24 deg, 16 deg, 7 deg
3) Where should the advance limiters be set?
12 deg, 16 deg, 20 deg

Thanks everyone

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2019 at 11:43am
Glad you survived the storm

If it's a Pertronix distributor which it sounds like it is, put it in just as it's set

Go with 10 degrees initial and you should have about 34 total with a good curve
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2019 at 12:13pm
FYI. I called Pertonix about there Chrysler model because most product descriptions say standard rotation. However tech support advised it will rotate both ways   (Just Incase folks run across this thread). I’m saving for an upgrade this winter and will hit ken up for help too. Thx
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2019 at 10:44pm
Peacock

Just out of curiosity, what did you do to make a RR gear fit your Pertronix distributor shaft?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 8:06am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

FYI. I called Pertonix about there Chrysler model because most product descriptions say standard rotation. However tech support advised it will rotate both ways   (Just Incase folks run across this thread). I’m saving for an upgrade this winter and will hit ken up for help too. Thx

Here's a little help you haven't asked for, but maybe it'll save you some aggravation

There's a reason most descriptions say "for standard rotation"

Click on the link below for some info on Chrysler RR distributors and the collar they used which then necessitated using a distributor with a longer shaft.

These days one of those long shaft distributors for RR is really really hard to find..............anywhere.

I'd figure Pertronix only has the short shaft distributor   

So..............don't ever get rid of your present distributor, even if you do find a replacement

It can always be rebuilt

link
Peacock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 10:00am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Peacock

Just out of curiosity, what did you do to make a RR gear fit your Pertronix distributor shaft?

I been removing the gear from the reverse distributor and putting on new distributor every time I have to change it.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 10:18am
That's why I asked

I think you'll run into problems this time around.

The Prestolite and your other replacement Ford distributor shafts are .531 inches in diameter where the gear sits.

The Pertronx is .500 inches and Pertronix doesn't sell a RR gear for their distributor.

People have had to bush down a .531 gear to fit or drill out a 302 gear to fit. The 302 is .467 inches.

No real easy solution unless something has changed recently with their shaft sizing.
Peacock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 10:31am

That's why I asked

The Prestolite and your other replacement Ford distributor shafts are .531 inches in diameter where the gear sits.

The Pertronx is .500 inches and Pertronix doesn't sell a RR gear for their distributor.

People have had to bush down a .531 gear to fit or drill out a 302 gear to fit. The 302 is .467 inches.

No real easy solution unless something has changed recently with their shaft sizing.

New I did not want to hear. I will be finding out this weekend when I hit the lake house. Is there another marine distributor (no points) that is reverse rotation for 351-W, or that my RR gear will fit? Cause I'll send this one back if I have to.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 10:38am
Go to the link below for an old thread, the second post in that thread has a link to another thread with what I think is still a good list of what's out there.

link
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 12:04pm
KENO.   Oh boy. Thanks much for links. Save my butt. I remember hearing there was an issue with rr gear. I found a rr Chrysler on Craigslist and bought the dist gear so I have two. Your comments have made me rethink new and looking into Rebiuld mine
I do not want to step on this thread but will take any other comments you can provide regarding 67 Chrysler LA318 RR marine distributors.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 12:25pm
A CCF thread that stays on track is about as hard to find as a RR Chrysler distributor

I think I'd get the original rebuilt and keep an eye out for another with the right length RR shaft.

It would make that guy Pete whatshisname happy too.

Your original may have a Chrysler tag and part number and also have a Prestolite tag on it. Chrysler just got them from Prestolite
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 12:34pm
You'd think there would be a lot of Chrysler marine stuff out there,there had to be a lot of them made. Maybe their still going and not parted out yet
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

You'd think there would be a lot of Chrysler marine stuff out there,there had to be a lot of them made. Maybe their still going and not parted out yet

But try and find a new distributor with the right length RR shaft

PS I hope I can say "good job finding that Gary"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 1:12pm
New distributor? We don’t need no stinking new distributor....
There is only one thing here that is not running it’s original ignition and that is our 49 international cub. The mag went out, dad could not afford the down time so an IH distributor conversion was installed so it could earn its keep. That was probably 45 to 50 years ago- where does the time go??
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Peacock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 2:35pm

That's why I asked

Is there anything wrong with me using Prestolite distributor?
Other then its $400.
Peacock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 4:30pm
Forget last posting. I just ordered a DUI from Discount inboard marine. With new set of wires. Will be here Friday. Only $550.00 But it is what I need, so be it :)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2019 at 10:54am
Prestolite IBM-4109-s my Chrysler. I’m on the hunt if anyone has one for sale. I can do a ton of mechanical work I’ve restored 10 vintage Japanese motorcycle. But I’m not great with the timing, points, valve adjustment stuff   So a electronic distributor would make me rest easier.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2019 at 11:10am

Prestolite IBM-4109-s my Chrysler. I’m on the hunt if anyone has one for sale. I can do a ton of mechanical work I’ve restored 10 vintage Japanese motorcycle. But I’m not great with the timing, points, valve adjustment stuff   So a electronic distributor would make me rest easier.

Daryn,
Using feeler gauges and a timing light is easy. Don't give up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2019 at 12:55pm
Or you could be like Pete and cleverly tuck an electronic module under that cap if the rest of the distributor is in good shape

A picture of the distributor with the cap on and another with the cap off would be good to determine what would or wouldn't fit.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2019 at 12:38am
Really appreciate encouragement, I’m gonna try. Found a old guy in Santa Rosa today that rebuilds starter and distributors. A refreshed points setup would be fine   Sure looks like mine has a raised collar.
Perhaps I’ve watched too many TV car shows where $100,000 car won’t start because of distributor whacked
His name is brownie electronic retired he is two weeks backlog so likely wait until fall. I want to test in lake couple more times this year
So far it works great but I can tell no love in 50 years so a looking at is in order
I’ll work on pics
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2019 at 1:16am
RH = collar = longer shaft   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2019 at 7:53am

RH = collar = longer shaft   

That's what I've seen

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic