Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel pump issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 1:36am
You’re correct, I can’t find the mystery fitting. QF tech support said to put it in the spark arrestor and that’s what I’ll do.

I think I chose that location because it looks like where it was on my old Holley. I’ll have to check it when I get back home

I know- Very scientific
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 4:57am
Using an automotive pump on a marine engine will work fine until it does not.
After it does not work fine you might not still be alive to report the failure.
If the automotive pump fails you may have a large amount of gasoline leaked into your engine box cover. Any spark can blow up the boat.
When I first started Skiing hard I did some training with Johnny Matranga, his daughter Cindy was on top of the World standings for the Women Water skiers back then, mid to late 70's. Johnny asked me to drive his boat while he coached. He saw me reaching to start the boat without a blower activated and read me the riot act.   I had only driven outboards prior to that day. Johnny explained how he had lost two good friends to boat explosions that were avoidable. Two separate explosions. He made his point very firmly and emotionally, not in anger just a very real teaching moment.   Since that day I turn on the blower in my boats and leave it on while operating, It is not necessary while moving but I fear I will forget to turn it on at the next restart. I only shut it off if we are planning to park any extended time. I don't care if it only lasts 5 years, I can get a new blower any time needed.
This also saves time coaching new drivers, instead of teaching them when to turn it on and off and hoping they remember, just leave it on.
The Marine requirements are all there for a reason, even if we have not personally found the reason yet.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 8:25am
Originally posted by AlfaDon AlfaDon wrote:

You’re correct, I can’t find the mystery fitting. QF tech support said to put it in the spark arrestor and that’s what I’ll do.

I think I chose that location because it looks like where it was on my old Holley. I’ll have to check it when I get back home

I know- Very scientific

Here's a picture to help.

Earlier Marine Holley's had nothing to hook the line to and the spark arrestor had a fitting for the hose to dump the gas into the carburetor.

Later like in the picture, the fitting was right above the transfer tube, dumping in right above the venturis.

Just look for your 52 cent rubber cap in the picture   

And MrMcD , I'll yell it for ya'THE AUTO PUMP WAS FOR A QUICK TEST if you happened to read the whole thread
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 10:57am
As Ken has already proved plugging the vent/leak overflow port won't cause a noticeable performance difference (depending on the pump you might lose a half psi of pressure maybe - putting a vacuum on it (or positive pressure) will.   It's is still bad form though.   Those little barb fittings can be found around the summit/jegs area - although I think I have ordered the wrong size twice so far for my turbo boost referencing project
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 11:33am
Here's good form

Unmodified, with all those magic words on top of it and the port is there from the manufacturer

MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 12:29pm
and, if your flame arrestor doesn't have the vent line fitting, one can be ordered from Holley that is simply held on by the flame arrestor fastener. (720-33 (?))
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 12:47pm
That 720-33 is for a 1/2 tube. It’s the same style I have for my CCV.

Even if they did make one for a 3/16 line, I wonder how much of the fuel would make it into the carb throat
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 3:51pm
Keno, you need thicker skin, I did not question the valuable help you were offering this post.

BTW, my hearing is damaged from too many loud noises without protection.

Some on here know the reason for using a vented pump, some do not. Same for some use the blower in their boat, some have never turned it on and don't know the reason why they should.   Did not mean to ruffle your feathers.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Keno, you need thicker skin, I did not question the valuable help you were offering this post.

BTW, my hearing is damaged from too many loud noises without protection.

Some on here know the reason for using a vented pump, some do not. Same for some use the blower in their boat, some have never turned it on and don't know the reason why they should.   Did not mean to ruffle your feathers.

It's plenty thick, don't worry about me

No ruffling going on
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 4:07pm
I thought McD was just filling in for Pete 😂
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 4:08pm
I tried, Pete must be out on the Lake this week.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 4:12pm
Nobody, I say nobody can fill in for Pete.

He's one of a kind and we should all be glad for that

When's the old pump going back on Don?

What's taking so long?

Ain't I annoying?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 5:11pm

. Same for some use the blower in their boat, some have never turned it on and don't know the reason why they should.   

Mark,
I know the reason but two of my boats don't even have bilge blowers so there's nothing to turn on! It's the old way and that's lift the dog house and smell. Better than nothing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 6:04pm
Pete, did'nt the old dog houses have vents on top of them to help with the fumes.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 6:26pm

Pete, did'nt the old dog houses have vents on top of them to help with the fumes.

No, they didn't. All the bilge venting was done by natural air flow typically in at gunnel vents at the engine and then out via vents in the aft deck.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 10:05pm
I'm working on it.
Short post to avoid spam filters
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 10:33pm
I open the dog house every time before I start the engine just for peace of mind. You never know when .
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by AlfaDon AlfaDon wrote:

I'm working on it.
Short post to avoid spam filters

I'm holding my breath in anticipation.

Not sure how much longer I can last
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 11:24pm
Keno. Get up from the computer and go work on something
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 11:29pm
I played around with fuel pumps and carburetors and vacuum gauges today and had to take a break.

We can compare results when you get yours swapped again.

Besides, it's dark here and getting to be bedtime on the other coast
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 2:30pm
Ok. Everything is working great. Thanks everybody for the help.
I tried posting yesterday but either my WiFi or the site was down.

I ran the fuel pump vent line under the dog box into a coffee can and tie wrapped it to the pull post so I could keep an eye on it. I’m heading home from vacation today but will add the fittings to the spark arrestor when I get home. With the current Acme 422 prop it maxed out at about 47mph at 5600 rpm. That’s a lot of slip considering it goes 30mph at 3000 rpm. This is at 5000’ of elevation.

Thanks again
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 3:38pm
Are you sure your tach is reading right? I don't know exactly what your engine is, saw in a prior post that you have a '96 176 with a modified GT-40 I think, not sure what that means. Maybe fill out your signature when you get a chance? Anyway, with the 422 I wouldn't have thought you'd turn 5,600 rpm at WOT.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 3:39pm
The original tach’s they used were not the best either. Best to verify with a good shop tach and gps.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 4:03pm
My 1995 Ski Nautique GT40 351W with a new 422 turns right at 4,800-4,900 RPM.
MPH depending on load 46-47 last weekend.
5,600 RPM, something is off or you have the power to go 53+ mph.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 8:26pm
But.............we still don't know where Zach hooks the overflow line to on a Quick Fuel carburetor
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2019 at 5:28pm
I’m working on a diary and signature.

Boat is a 96 176 with a modified engine.

Speed test were done on a mild choppy lake at 5000’ using a gps/speedo app. I’ll get a secondary tach. The 422 is at least 10 years old. At 3000 rpm speed was right at 30mph. The speed seemed to fall behind the tach the faster I went. It’s also a little unnerving listening to the motor scream and watch my phone while paying attention to operating the boat :-)

I’ll report more as I get it later this week.
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 4:42pm
MourningWood. I found that K&N sells those fittings with different size tubes and overall height. I ended up getting an 85-1337. The last 3 digits of part number denotes the size. 337 = 3” tall & 3/8” diameter.

Thanks
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 5:25pm
Here are the pics of how I modified the spark arrestor for the fuel pump vent line
As I mentioned earlier the vent adapter is a
K&N 85-1337. The tubing is some 1/4 od copper. I used JB weld to secure it together. I was going to solder it as you can see from the heat marks, but I changed my mind. I'm actually going to replace it and make it look cleaner. That particular adapter was only $6 on Amazon

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic