Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351W Velvet Drive LH RH Rotation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
robertbruder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351W Velvet Drive LH RH Rotation
    Posted: August-24-2019 at 1:27pm
I am hoping you guys can help clear up some conflicting information in regards to LH RH rotation for me.

Did Correct Craft use RH rotation and MasterCraft use LH rotation with the 351 + PCM + Velvet Drive set up?

I saw a lot of recommendations for the Acme 542 prop and since I busted my prop last week, I went ahead and ordered the 542. I made the assumption that since people with 351 + Velvet drive were recommending the 542 which is RH rotation that this would also be my case (1988 Supreme). I should have known better because I think I remember this being a thing for my 1984 Supreme as well.

So I got the 542 prop yesterday and took the old prop off only to confirm that the old prop is a LH rotation. So I ordered the 543 prop (542 equivalent for LH rotation).

Doing some research it seems that MasterCraft used LH rotation and as Supreme was a result of a split at Mastercraft, it would make sense that Supreme has LH rotation. This got me curious, given the same motor with same marinization and same transmission, why would some manufacturer's choose RH rotation and some choose LH rotation?

I also saw something to suggest that the Velvet Drive Transmission can be switched between RH rotation and LH rotation?

Anybody have any insights or links to material on LH vs RH rotation?
Current: 1988 Sierra Supreme
Past: 1986 Correct Craft Martinique, 1984 Ski Supreme, 1984 Bare Foot Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 1:35pm
Ok. So changing up my google search terms, It seems there are already threads on this.

CCF LH vs RH Rotation

AmSkier Forum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 8:32pm
Rob,
The engine is really what determines the prop rotation with 1"1 trans. It's not the prop as the trans will operate ether direction as long as the trans pump is oriented to match the engine.

Sorry you went through the prop rotation issue. It's always a good idea to take a look at what's on the boat first. A RH will propel the boat forward when it turns clockwise.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by robertbruder robertbruder wrote:

This got me curious, given the same motor with same marinization and same transmission, why would some manufacturer's choose RH rotation and some choose LH rotation?
Anybody have any insights or links to material on LH vs RH rotation?

Some manufacturers assume that Batman is always alone in the boat and with a right hand prop it will ride more level with just Batman in it.

Now if you put Robin or the Riddler or the Joker or anybody else in the passenger seat, it will lean to the left.

Others assume that Batman always has Robin along and with the driver and observer, the boat will ride more level with the LH engine.

You could substitute The Lone Ranger and Tonto for Batman and Robin and have the same results

Or Felix Unger and Oscar Madison

Or..............well you get it.

It's one of those things that there's no right or wrong answer to.

You distribute your load properly and the boat will ride level

That's one person's opinion that will of course be disagreed with by some others
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 8:57pm
In the early days of Mastercraft they had some reverse rotation engines, but rather quickly changed to normal automotive rotation.

The same transmission can be used behind either rotation engine but you have to orient the pump so it works with the engine's rotation like Pete said.

You can't have a 1 to 1 Borg Warner hooked to an engine and have it reverse the props rotation to drive the boat forward.

It's confusing and there's a lot written in threads over the years, some good information and some not so good information   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 9:00pm
Thanks Pete and Ken. I think you both were quoted in some of the other posts I read stating similar.

So my prop hit my lift and it wasn't worth the drive to pick up the trailer and then to take the boat to the ramp. So I ordered the Acme 542. Fixed the lift. Pulled the prop which was Left Hand Rotation and the 542 I ordered was a Right Hand Prop. So just ordered the 543 prop today. Still no boating this weekend, but hey I am down to the prop as the last thing. Only other things left are trace out any electrical drains, wet sand the hull and reproduce / put on decals. Almost to the finish line.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 9:57pm
Aren’t newer Nautique’s left handed props now? If so when did that change come around?
Also to set the record straight- while yes Batman had a boat I don’t recall the Lone Ranger ever being involved in water sports at all. Now Roy Rogers that’s another story😉
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Aren’t newer Nautique’s left handed props now?

Massive hulls don't care which side of the boat Batman sits on.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 10:54pm
My 1979 Ski Supreme was a lefty.
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Aren’t newer Nautique’s left handed props now? If so when did that change come around?
Also to set the record straight- while yes Batman had a boat I don’t recall the Lone Ranger ever being involved in water sports at all. Now Roy Rogers that’s another story😉

The big stuff is LH and the "ski boats" all 2 of them are still RH
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 11:03pm
Roy without Dale

He didn't know which side he wanted the wheel on

Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 11:03pm
Only 2 - that's sad !!
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic