Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hard 'Cool-Cold' Start GT-40 EFI

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bwylie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwylie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard 'Cool-Cold' Start GT-40 EFI
    Posted: August-29-2019 at 1:05pm
I've seen several posts where the issue is stalling/not starting after several hours of use. Mine is the opposite. Last Monday morning my wife and i headed down to our 99 SN GT-40 EFI. It was the first 'cool' morning as the temp was around 54 degrees. The boat has started flawlessly all year - first quick turn of the key. This morning it acted like it had started but then would stop after 2-3 seconds. Several attempts, same outcome. Tried holding the key longer - same result. Finally got to it start by pumping the choke (probably not suppose to - have never done it before. We went out, got our ski runs in, came back to the dock, turned off - then tried to start and it started right away. 54 is cool, but not cold.

Any thoughts?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2019 at 2:31pm
Since you don't have a choke or a carburetor, pumping the throttle really does nothing except exercise the butterfly valve in the throttle body (and your arm gets a little exercise too)

It sounds more like a fuel pump issue or an issue with the fuel pump or ECM relays

A search here on CCF about GT40 fuel pumps and relays should give you some info as a start

Or maybe your safety lanyard is getting a little touchy

You might read up on the PIP sensor also as a possible cause.

If it's randomly acting up and doesn't tell the computer that the engine is running, the fuel pumps will shut off 2 or 3 seconds after you start it.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2019 at 9:08pm
With your EFI, the only thing you do by pumping the throttle is open the throttle body which does let in more air.   With EFI this is normally no help starting and actually messes with your computer while it is trying to focus on your start up.
If it is helping your engine start I suspect you have a fuel leak, some flooding going on and the extra air is helping at start up.
Otherwise, Ken is correct and you are not helping by moving the throttle while starting.
Easy to check to see if your injection is leaking.
Hook up a fuel pressure gauge to your fuel rail.
Turn your key on and off a few times to pressurize the system. Wait 2-3 seconds with key on each time for the pump to shut off again.

Now watch and see how long your pressure holds. There is a factory standard established, I don't remember the numbers but if you do this and see your pressure quickly dropping off you have an issue. It should hold pressure at least a few minutes and then slowly drop off.
If pressure drops quickly you have a leak, it could be the pressure regulator or an injector or two failing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic