Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gun safe heater under motor box over winter?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun safe heater under motor box over winter?
    Posted: September-04-2019 at 4:47pm
My 2000 SN has always lived in FL, but this winter she will sleep in the mountains of NC, on a trailer in an un-heated garage. I plan to winterize carefully and appreciate the many tips contained on this forum.

Does anyone have any thoughts about putting a stick-type gun safe heater down in the bilge? They are cheap ($20) and supposed to be safe. I will keep the bilge drain open all winter, so any gas fumes will have an escape. Is this a good alternative to putting a light bulb under the motor box? Thanks for any opinions!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2019 at 5:03pm
If you winterize it you don’t need to put in a heater or lightbulb. The reason you use them is if your going out in a few days or if you get caught out before you get a chance to winterize. Follow PCMs recommendations for winterizing- drain everything before adding antifreeze
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2019 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Shooter Shooter wrote:

I plan to winterize carefully and appreciate the many tips contained on this forum.

If you do what you say in the quote above, what reason would there be to have a heater of any kind in the bilge?

That's assuming winterizing carefully means draining the water and leaving it drained or putting some antifreeze in after the draining.

There are a bunch of different ways people winterize, so an explanation of your planned method would be good.
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2019 at 5:34pm
My boat gets shrinkwrapped and lives outdoors in NH all winter. Subzero temps, six feet of snow, no issues. Winterize it properly and you won't have issues. A lot safer than leaving a heating element around oil/gas vapors all winter.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2019 at 6:07pm
Jeff,
Water freezes No water doesn't freeze. So why heat nothing but a chunk of metal? Do you like you run up your electric bill?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2019 at 6:30pm
I will drain all water out and re-fill with antifreeze. Do not anticipate any problems, but just wondering about "belt + suspenders" protection of my pride & joy. However, with this advice I'll skip the heater. Thx to all, and see you in the Spring!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic