NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is wrong with this driveshaft?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is wrong with this driveshaft?
    Posted: September-18-2006 at 2:00pm
seems like the rubber hose is twisting... What do I need to do with this?

???
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 2:04pm
it looks like the hose needs to be further up the collar and the tightend down right. It also looks like the packing gland is all of the way off and should be threaded down more.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 2:30pm
discabobulated......that needs some surgery
"the things you own will start to own you"
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 3:00pm
Remove the set screws in the safety collar (that top stainless steel piece). Loosen those hose clamps. (Id take two of the four clamps completely off. Push that bottom bra$$ piece down as far as it will go and tighen the hose clamps so that the hose is held over the lips. I'd also take a wire brush to the bra$$ and clean it up.
Call Discount Inboard Marine and tell them you need some Shaft Packing. They can help you get the correct size. Look up inside the top bra$$ piece and remove the old packing and replace it with the new. Screw the top piece down on the bottom piece. Put the set screws back in the saftey collor and tighten.
Put the boat in the water and tighten the packing nut (the top bra$$ nut) with a pipe wrench until water stops dripping. You'll probably need two wrenchs.
If you get the flax packing, adjust the nut to the point where you have one drop every 13 seconds with the boat idleing in gear. If you go with the drippless, tighten it so there is no water dripping but the shaft stays cool while running.
I can't tell from the picture, but there should be a back up nut that you snug up on the packing nut to keep it from coming loose.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 8:56pm
Thanks jimbo,

I am thinking I should replace the Rubber hose also... But, I don't see how you can with out taking the whole shaft out. I don't think it is to the point where it would leak if left alone, so mabee I should leave it.

Eric, Do you think the folks over at Mid West Marine would have the shaft packing?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 9:00pm
call chris at mid-ohio in Streetsboro, he should have packing there 330-626-9115,they are on rt 14,
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

Thanks jimbo,

I am thinking I should replace the Rubber hose also... But, I don't see how you can with out taking the whole shaft out.

You're right, you would have to remove the shaft or at least the coupling to the transmission and that can turn into a project pretty easly. I'd wait until you have to remove the shaft and do it then.
By the way, there are at least two widths of packing, depending on the diameter of the shaft. I don't remember which one goes with which.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 9:59pm
Thanks Jim, really appreciate the help.

Eric, man you are resourcefull! Phone numbers and all. Thanks. Should I tell them you sent me?

I am going to get a list of things I am going to need and go up there this week. I mapquested it, only 10 mile from work.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 10:06pm
they shuold still be doing business and yes you can tell them i sent you, they may charge you more though lol eric
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 12:15pm
Take it out and just put a PSS seal in there. Do it ONCE and be done!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 10:42pm
I took it apart, there wasn't any acking in at all. Went to local marina (Back Bay Marina in Springfield) The said the had the packing I would need, when i got there they couldn't really tell me what type I needed So I came home with A package of 3/8" and about 8" of I think it was 5/16. The small piece was the one I needed. I was only able to put in two pieces. But, I took it to the local lake and ran it around a couple times and adjusted it. Didn't seem to leak but the bra$$ fitting did get a little warm. I was still able to hold it but it was warm.
I think I am going to take this flax out and get the other stuff (dripless) sound like that is the way to go.
This was the first time I have put it in the water since buying it. Ran great! I love this boat
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 1:18am
Glad it's running for you. If you use the flax packing, it needs to drip one drop every 13 seconds to cool the shaft. It should be getting warm. I use the Gortex dripless packing.
Behindpropeller is right, at some point you may want to go with a dripless seal like the PPS. But get it running fine and enjoy it for a while first. You can dive into something like that over the winter.
A word of warning, kids would rather be skiing than watching you work on it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 10:22am
Jimbo- When you say "dripless seal like the PPS" do you mean replace the whole rubber hose and fittings with a new shaft seal or just replacing the packing with the Gortex type?
I am already realizing your warning...
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:31pm
The "dripless seal like PPS" comment was to replace the whole thing. I wouldn't worry about that now. I wouldn't even worry about the Gortex. I'd just back the packing nut out a little until the drops fall at the correct rate. The only thing is you'll need to check it from time to time as it wears and you need to run the bildge (and not live the boat sitting the water unatttended for days at a time). Judging from the look of the thing, they were trying to stop it from leaking and all they need to do was replace/adjust the packing.
To replace the whole seal, you'll need to pull the shaft. I'd wait until you hit something and have to check the shaft to make sure it's not bent or the strut bearings need replacing. I'd plan on doing all the following at once:
--Pull prop and get it resurfaced if needed
--Pull rutter and replace packing
--Pull drive shaft, make sure it's true
--Replace Strut Bearings
--Replace the seal
--Check the shaft log to be sure it is firmly attached and doesn't need reinforcing
Like a say, do this one winter day when you've got cabin fever and several hundered bucks to spend. Maybe not even this winter.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:34pm
also....welcome to the world of boat ownership
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:48pm
The drip in the packing is for packing lubrication and cooling (vs shaft). If it didn't have the cooling it could smoke the packing. The packing will look 'glazed'. Same principle as most pump shafts that have packing. On pumps the packing is adjusted with the pump in operation until slight leakage is present.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic