NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 No Start

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2019 at 12:56pm
No problem Ken I realize it gets frustrating and confusing for Kyle having to relay all this to his mechani . Did not realize how the diode had been wired up but I was curious so I looked at the diagram
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DAC 207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAC 207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2019 at 3:12pm
I just went through a similar problem with a functional low pressure pump and in intermittent lack of output from a new HP pump. I had a failing kill switch that would allow the fuel at start then die allowing the motor to run for 2 second then stop. Jumping the kill switch fixed the problem ( new switch will be hear in two days).
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2019 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by DAC 207 DAC 207 wrote:

I just went through a similar problem with a functional low pressure pump and in intermittent lack of output from a new HP pump. I had a failing kill switch that would allow the fuel at start then die allowing the motor to run for 2 second then stop. Jumping the kill switch fixed the problem ( new switch will be hear in two days).

Maybe you should update your other thread that says the issue was the high pressure fuel pump

Here's a link to it
link
BlueDub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 7:24pm
I picked up the boat from the mechanic yesterday and got on it in the driveway last night. He is confident that everything is working and the HP pump is just bad (maybe defective from out of the box). Frustrating because the assumption that it was good for it was new potentially led us on a wild goose chase. Anyway, before ordering another pump I wanted to poke around and see for myself. I jumped the pumps like in the picture, they both made noise. I unplugged LP to clearly hear HP humming, it was. I disconnected the return loop hose and it was squirting fuel with both on, but with the LP pump unplugged and jumping just the hp no fuel comes out of the hose. It is making noise, but seems to not be moving any fuel.
BlueDub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 7:31pm
Thanks Dac. I’ll jump the kill switch for safe measure before swapping pumps. It does crank and when you push it you can hear the pump so it appears operational, but at this point I see assuming things is not a good strategy. I do regret not tackling this thing myself from day 1, but I just really hoped the pros would just make short work of it and get us back to skiing. Anyway live and learn, lifetime of CCF learning makes my future bright.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 8:06pm
[QUOTE=BlueDub] I just really hoped the pros would just make short work of it and get us back to skiing. QUOTE]

Don’t think there is anything wrong with that thought. The problems we have are a short season anyone good wants to work all year. Then the fact that for the most part they have been pretty reliable so there is less experience and are now also obsolete so no support. Now throw in the fact the youngest ones are pushing 20 years doesn’t help either.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 10:15pm
Take a close look at the hose leaving the HP pump. they have been known to fail and that would just pump all the fuel back into the FCC.
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2019 at 8:51am
Originally posted by BlueDub BlueDub wrote:

It does crank and when you push it you can hear the pump so it appears operational, but at this point I see assuming things is not a good strategy.

You need to put a pressure gauge on it or you will just be guessing that it's working as it should be.
It's simple to hook up, they don't cost much and can keep you from throwing money and parts at it.
BlueDub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2019 at 12:50am
New pump is in. Starts and runs for a second or two then dies.   Is it maybe the PIP keeping it from running. It won't stay running with it jumped either.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2019 at 8:52am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

It does crank and when you push it you can hear the pump so it appears operational, but at this point I see assuming things is not a good strategy.

You need to put a pressure gauge on it or you will just be guessing that it's working as it should be.
It's simple to hook up, they don't cost much and can keep you from throwing money and parts at it.

It seems to me that you still haven't put a fuel pressure gauge on it recently.

Without knowing the fuel pressure with the key on engine off and jumpering the pumps with the STO plug, you really don't know much at all

What's the pressure with the newest HP fuel pump installed

You could randomly throw a distributor in it as the easiest way to resolve a PIP issue if there is one, since the distributor has to come apart completely to change the PIP sensor

Or you could randomly throw a TFI 4 module at it too, but they're all shots in the dark.

So............I'll yell it kinda loud      WHAT'S YOUR FUEL PRESSURE?
BlueDub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2019 at 9:29am
The gauge I have is not great but it shows near 12 psi with key on and jumper attached. New pump no difference. I'm going to open the fcc later and check the wiring inside because the 12 volts I was able to measure was at the plug outside, I'm thinking maybe the lead that goes through the fcc maybe? Or that hose in there, but I inspected that and it looked good. Hope to have time after work today.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2019 at 9:55am
It should be 39 +/- 3 psi.

You probably have a fuel injected car hanging around that you could test the gauge on to see if it's accurate if you know what the car system has for a pressure spec.

Or you could get a loaner gauge from a parts store and compare readings.
BlueDub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2019 at 3:31pm
I’m at work on lunch planning my attack for when I get home. I suspect that this wire pass through is not delivering power to the pump, because I do get that 12 volts right up to that plug outside of the fcc. Planning on checking the spade connectors inside as soon as I get home. But this plug available on SkiDim does not look exactly like the one I have on my fcc. https://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RF121085
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2019 at 3:48pm
There had been a change over the years because the older style could leak. I’m sure skidim has the picture of latest version
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
BlueDub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 5:00am
I figured it out! Will post details in the morning.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 3:19pm
Waiting with bated breath, for the answer to the problem.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 7:08pm
Looking at the time he posted, maybe he was having a dream

He was just logged on at 4:26 pm with no update to be had.

I think I'll just assume he's too busy driving it to do an update right now
BlueDub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 8:24pm
Unfortunately we are no-wake everywhere around here because of the recent storms, I was lucky enough to have my mom come and hang with the kids today so I could get out there and install the new interior and do major detailing. I was not dreaming last night, I was up all night until the wee hours cleaning up the mess made by 8 weeks in two different shops. Which leads me to the explanation of the problem. Here is my conclusion and process last night which led me to it. I will attempt to present it somewhat completely but it was quite an ordeal as you know.

Started by checking voltage from lead all the way to the HP pump itself along the way refreshing connections as nicely as possible. 12 volts to the HP pump without a doubt. So why is it not moving fuel? Inspect that little hose, it is in tact but somewhat soft from sitting in fuel, notice that it has a little crease from where it might have been folded/twisted, simulate what might happen if the filter binds in the can when it is being screwed on and sure enough that thing folds like it was stuck that way for about 8 weeks.

So I flipped it, (this was about midnight so I'm not going to ACE to buy fuel line) thinking it will not likely kink spinning in the opposite direction. I also trimmed a bit off the end to have a nice tight fit and be sure it didn't bottom out in the can and push up to kink also. Screwed on the can so carefully that I was sure the filter didn't bind. Now I have positive without a doubt voltage to pump and no way that hose is the problem. Why is the fuel not dumping out the return in the tank?!

I decide that I need to go back to square 1, lots has happened in two months and who knows, better start at the beginning. Check the screen in the fuel pickup in the tank. That is where I notice the most disturbing thing, there is no anti-siphon on the pickup! Look at the return and there it is, someone (not me) took them both apart and reassembled with that on the return, no way for fuel to flow into the tank. I am so excited I am sure that I have figured it out, make them correct, turn the key to hot and the fuel is dumping out the return. Yes I have done it, time to celebrate, turn to start and nothing. Are you kidding me!! Maybe if they had that wrong what else did they do? Look carefully at the fuel lines routing from the FCC to the injectors, try to remember what I read, it goes passed the regulator and then to the Schroeder valve? or the other way? I'm delirious because it must be 1 am but I'm going to flip those to see, what is the worst that could happen? Hit the starter and it starts and runs like new. Run into the house to tell my wife, get reprimanded for smelling like gas and sent back outside, go back outside shaking with excitement from the accomplishment. Wow.

So after that I spent some time winding down and preparing to put in the new interior cleaning up the mess and whatnot.

Sidenote, that was Friday the 13th and there was a full moon so I walked down to the lake to sit on the dock and enjoy. I noticed the neighbor's jetski was not on the lift, and I am the guy he usually asks to pull it and I haven't yet. So I go grab my light and find it floating down the way, take a walk down the shoreline to secure it then, finally, take in the view, what a night!

Lessons learned. When you are stumped, take the time to restart from the beginning, do not assume anything.

I admit that it is likely when I installed the new HP pump at the very beginning that I could have twisted that tube and that is all it was all along. Do I regret going through all this? Heck no. I needed to pull the boat to do the interior and this was the golden opportunity, that is why I threw in the towel so willingly and passed it off at the start, the timing was perfect. Also, when we bought it I wanted it to like new for next year, engine gone through thoroughly, many shakedown cruises and no bugs, and for the interior to get done. I can now say that goal has been met for sure. I have always loved looking at this site, but mostly soaking up info without much opportunity to use it, but after the support I got from everyone here to figure this out I feel a deep and sincere appreciation for the Correct Craft Family and have never been prouder to be a par of it. Thanks to all of you.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 8:33pm
Kyle,
Congratulations!!

No wake again on the chain due to high water? Happens every time Blarneys opens the valve to dump the urinals directly into the lake!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BlueDub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 8:38pm
Good one. It is probably pretty high up by you guys too, but much more swim-able no doubt.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 8:49pm
It is working. Good Work! What a bunch of hurdles thrown in the mix.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

No wake again on the chain due to high water? ]

Yea Pete we got 3" Wednesday night so it was no wake on the upper and lower river,then Thursday night we got 2.75 and they closed everything. With the multiple restrictions and my mother in law in and out of the hospital this season it wasn't worth putting the boat in at all
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 9:11pm
But there's one big unanswered question left here.

Did you take a shower before you snuggled up with the wife?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

No wake again on the chain due to high water? ]

Yea Pete we got 3" Wednesday night so it was no wake on the upper and lower river,then Thursday night we got 2.75 and they closed everything. With the multiple restrictions and my mother in law in and out of the hospital this season it wasn't worth putting the boat in at all

I’ve burned about 250 gallons of gas on Deep Lake so far this season. The chain has been a nightmare the last few years with rain and flooding. Good thing you’re on high ground, Gary! Maybe Quinner will throw a party and I’ll see you again soon!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

The chain has been a nightmare the last few years with rain and flooding.

It's always been a nightmare without the high water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

my mother in law in and out of the hospital this season it wasn't worth putting the boat in at all

Wishing the best.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BlueDub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 9:55pm
Say what you want about the chain, our lake is as far removed from it as one can be, and our dock is in a huge nowake zone so it is safe for the kids. Also, when you are a teacher like me on summer break skiing weekday mornings is as good of glass as anywhere. I get the Chain O lakes rap, but we actually have it real nice where we are at.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2019 at 1:09am
At least you can ski at sunrise to sunset and then some—and weekdays are
Golden if you’re an early riser!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2019 at 10:06am

I suppose only you know what the condition of that hose is, but if it's been twisted/kinked enough to stop or highly reduce flow like your simulation in the picture, I'd be replacing that hose pretty quickly even though things are OK right now
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2019 at 2:50pm
I’d go and get PCM’s kit anyway, it’s a heavier hose and clamps to match. Used to be a dollar didn’t see how they could do it for that, it’s now 12
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic